WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

the universe..

tzedek

Original Member
i wonder about the universe... sometimes i think "The universe is infinite" and then i think "No you idiot how could it possibly be infinite? it cant just go on forever" and then i think "you jackass if the universe isnt infinite then what is outside of the universe" and so on... so what do you think of it?

YUCK FOU!!!

Critical Update Notification Tool.
i think the same thing quite often it pisses me off

gumercules

Ultra Mega
it's been proven that the universe is an infinitely expanding bubble... but time & space only exist inside the universe, so for our purposes it might as well be infinite

i ask myself the question: if the universe is expanding, what is it expanding into? :confused:

tzedek

Original Member
gumercules said:
it's been proven that the universe is an infinitely expanding bubble... but time & space only exist inside the universe, so for our purposes it might as well be infinite

how could it be proven?

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
Well. The universe is supposed to be continuous in all directions in the three directional scale. (space) What we know as reality is the contiuation of space and time (the 4th dimension). What I find more interesting is what about a 5th dimension? Or a 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th and so on. Many scientists believe that there could be an endless number of dimensions.

tzedek

Original Member
i always thought of the 4th demenstion as being something unconcievable whereas the line cant concieve the square and the square cant concieve the cube... so forth...

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
tzedek said:
i always thought of the 4th demenstion as being something unconcievable whereas the line cant concieve the square and the square cant concieve the cube... so forth...
No no no, we can move around in three dimensions (length, width, debth) we can observe and understand the fourth (time) but not move in it, beyond that is unknown.

YUCK FOU!!!

just think our solar system is millions and billions of killometres in size we are the fifth biggest planet and are ridiculously smaller than first then you look at our galaxy and we are a tiny flash of light on one of the arms there are thousands of other solarsystems in our galaxy...bigger than ours....there are an infinite amount of galaxys it just makes you seem so small this may seem completely left wing but i thionk people with religions may have a =n eisier ability to handle believing this because they beleive in something they havnt seen.

catch my drift??

Seije

The Stranger Returns...
Unforgiven said:
i ask myself the question: if the universe is expanding, what is it expanding into? :confused:
emptiness?...i've always thought the same thing

YUCK FOU!!!

So Far We Have Discovered You Cannot Have Emptyness

tzedek

Original Member
is that the title to your term paper or something?

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
there is no emptiness, only anti matter and matter and a few other things. once thought the nucleus (spellling, i think, i hate that word) of an atom was empty, come to find out there are things revolving inside of them in a pattern.

I think that it is not for us to know, and once we discover what our minds are not able to comprehend, we will seal out fates.

I agree that the univese is infitely expanding, that has been proven with our current technology.

I agree that there is an infinite amount of dimension, actually there are many dimensions that have been theorized mathematically, but not proven physically. Dont ask me to name them, cuz that was a few years ago in chem.

tzedek

Original Member
i dont understand how it can be proven that the universe is infinitely expanding....

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
tzedek said:
i dont understand how it can be proven that the universe is infinitely expanding....

me niether, that is why I am just a schmuck posting on the net, while other people sit in think tanks and make money.

Skorch

Destroyer of worlds
The universe is infinite in that you cannot find any boundaries. This is because space is curved in on itself such that if you were to travel in a "straight" line in one dirction indefinitely through the universe, eventually you will end up right back where you started. It's like the universe is the perfect container to hold something in because there are no edges or boundaries to escape from.

tzedek

Original Member
dustinzgirl said:
me niether, that is why I am just a schmuck posting on the net, while other people sit in think tanks and make money.
yeah thats true if we understood this stuff we would be rich and famous... haha oh well.

ron

Buster of Asses
tzedek said:
yeah thats true if we understood this stuff we would be rich and famous... haha oh well.
I understand the stuff and I am neither rich nor famous...