WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines The value of a dollar.

mmm...cheese

Banned - What an Asshat!
I have found that majority of kids these days have no idea of what the value of a dollar is! Like just the other day, I was visiting a middle school, and I asked a kid why he bought from the vending machine. He said "because it's convenient." Then I asked him if he knew that for every two things he buys from a vending machine, he can get another if he buys them at a store. To this he responded "Who gives a fuck about a dollar." At this, I kept asking the kids who came to the vending machine that series of questions, and I kept getting the same answer.

Point, do you think this is a problem worth looking into?

Jung

???
Premium
Point, do you think this is a problem worth looking into?
Why? Is it really that surprising that middle school kids, people who have no financial responsibilities, don't value a dollar? I mean this isn't exactly a profound revelation.

To them it is "just a dollar" in the sense that their parents will likely give them another tomorrow, and the next day and so on. There is no reason for them to worry about such things as budgeting or shopping for the best price, especially not when it's recess and they want a snack.

Swid

Mentally Incarcerated
Yes, I think parents pretty much tell them the worth by how much they give to their child or how much a child is exposed to money. My parent's almost never give me money and I savor every penny I get. I actually have a friend who buys a soda at the vending machines everyday for $1 each, but he actually earns money by selling drugs. I've told him just to buy a pack, but he doesn't care. I have many friends that are like "It's just a dollar." But I know everything adds up and it gets pretty damn expensive.

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
Hmmm, I remember bitching about gas getting up to $.75:( I remember working on my uncles farm when I was 12:( I remember working 12 hour day's, no wait, that's now:p. I never had an alowance when I was growing up. I had to work for my money, so I knew that I was better off buying two 12oz can's at $.50 a peice, rather that one 20oz bottle of soda at $1.00.

It comes down to how easy the money is to get.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
That's when you point out that a dollar a day is 5 dollars a week. 5 Dollars a week is around 250 dollars a year. (Assuming they still spend the 5 bucks a day in the summer.)

I find myself doing that a lot when it comes to things I want to buy. How much will this cost me per DAY. It starts making certain things seem way too expensive.

Josh88

The Mad Hatter
man i dont buy from vending machines i save my money i will be a millionaire

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
generally i find most do not know the value of a dollar. it doesn't necessarily have to do with age, how hard/easy or given/earned money is, but rather convenience. we are impatient, diseased with immediate gratification complexes; are plainly an irresponsible, now society.

MUST HAVE IT NOW OR WILL DIE FROM A LACK OF DISCIPLINE!

GIMME. GIMME. GIMME, IT'S MINE.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
the value of a dollar? 4 quarters, 10 dimes, 20 nickles or 100 pennies.

in terms of goods, any one of 20 items on the McDonalds menu, any one item in a dollar store, one play on a new release arcade game, or a trip to the dollar cinema to see a movie thats been out for 6 months...

wha eva.......

Down here a freaking dollar wot get you nething..... Fuel costs 1.20-1.40 and there is nothing in macdonalds for under 1.00 xcept they're ice cream cones.....

So we are bitching that a MIDDLE schooler does not care about a dollar toward a vending machine, because the parents give them the money for that reason. Come on people, if we are going to bitch about that, then how about the stuiped fucking IDIOTS that pay a average of 4 DOLLARS FOR A FUCKING CUP OF COFFEE!!!! Talking about addin up! I used to work in one of those fancey coffe bars (teenage days thank you) and it such a rip off! You can buy a 50 dollar machine get the recipe and make the damn thing yourself, and make taste better then what you can get at StarBucks (fucking hate that place, never worked that coffe bar cause they suck). IT is so easy to do, and so much cheaper, sao i say lay off the kids, they are given the money for snaking puposes at school.
FUCKING STAR BUCKS SUCKS!!

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
dilmanator said:
wha eva.......

Down here a freaking dollar wot get you nething..... Fuel costs 1.20-1.40 and there is nothing in macdonalds for under 1.00 xcept they're ice cream cones.....
um... one of McDonalds big time adverts is its dollar menu. hamburgers, Cheeseburgers, small fries, small shake, small soda, the double cheeseburger is on there...

unless your McDonalds is like a totally ill ran franchise store, you should recheck the menu...

mmm...cheese

Banned - What an Asshat!
dilmanator said:
wha eva.......

Fuel costs 1.20-1.40
HOLY SHIT THAT'S FUCKED UP! I live in ALASKA, one of America's biggest oil producers, and our gas costs fucking $2.69 A GALLON! WTF IS UP WITH THOSE MOTHERFUCKERS!?

P.S. ^notice the caps.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
there is always the possibility that deliminator is referring to the cost per liter. converted for dollars... but yeah.. gas is about 2.20/gal here right now..

Noalear

uberNemesis
Ya know why kids dont know the value of a dollar? Because a dollar is a dollar is a dollar. Who cares about a dollar. A dollar a day is only $365 a year. Might seem like a lot until you realize you cant even think about living on $24,000 a year. So would $23,635 make any kind of difference to how well you would live? Fuck no. Im a college student, I eat ramen. The way I see it, Ramen is $.13 a package which will fill me up for 1 meal. I can eat Ramen every day for every meal and spend less than $150 for food. A dollar will feed you for about 3 days IF YOU ONLY EAT RAMEN. Of course, if you do this, you will soon find yourself in a hospital from lack of nutrition. So lets go buy some meat, you can easily spend that $150 bucks on a months, MAYBE, worth of meat. You can drive to school (Gas per gallon here is $2.70 {Arizona}) for about.. $1.50. Or I can walk through the 120degree sun for about 2 hours. But to actually fill up a tank will run you about $80. ($2000 a year if you fill up every other week) The difference in cost to fill up a tank per day can be about ~$5.

Depends on how you look at it, huh? A dollar here, a dollar there- doesnt really add up. But drop a dollar in a certain spot, like a vending machine where its convienient and only about $.35 more expensive ($130 a year if you do it once a day) it doesnt save very much.

Talk about kids not knowing the value of a dollar, talk to the oil companies. Thats where it matters.

cubitfx

Master Cubit
The oil companies... They know the value of a dollar. They make billions of them in profits this year, dispite they "Higher Costs of Petroleum" Here (Cleveland, Ohio), gas topped at 3.10ish a few months ago and is now down to 2.15/gal. You cannot tell me that their manufacturing costs and their costs to get the stuff unrefined has gone down that much. I find it rather ironic that the government starts looking into these companies records for price gougeing (sp?) and prices plumit. Greed is the only cause for gas to be the price it is. The greedy ass oil companies and their investors saw an opportunity to make money and blame it on Iraq, 9/11, and natural disasters and they took it. Notice that Samsung and other semiconductor companies are facing huge fines for price fixing on RAM? Soon enough the gas companies will be looking at similar charges and fines.

mmm...cheese

Banned - What an Asshat!
Your views are very distorted, the value of a dollar, is ultimately collective yes. However, 365 dollars extra a year is QUITE the improvement. 365 dollars can buy you many things; the news every day from a machine, 135 gallons of gas, food for a month and a half, the normal bills (heat, electricity, cable, etc...) for a month, or 1000 pieces of candy! Anyway, 365 dollars is a notable sum of money...

ALGS22

Fresh Meat
Darklight said:
the value of a dollar? 4 quarters, 10 dimes, 20 nickles or 100 pennies.

in terms of goods, any one of 20 items on the McDonalds menu, any one item in a dollar store, one play on a new release arcade game, or a trip to the dollar cinema to see a movie thats been out for 6 months...
You could just say "Four gumballs."

Noalear

uberNemesis
Darklight said:
no... I couldnt
Neither could I.

And sure, it could pay your bills for a month and a half, or it could give you a snack which lets you run on some energy for the day everyday for the entire year.... which brings us back to the value of a dollar, not that much.

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
I think everyone should have to do something like i did to find the value of a dollar.

I figured it out through drywall, my first job, and the one i currently do.

my wage was $5.15 an hour minimum wage here,
so to me $5 bucks equals lifting 2,000 lbs, because on average i was picking up 2,000 lbs of sheet an hour.

now i save almost every dime i get.

whenever someone says "dude, it's just a dollar..." i'm like yah or lifting 400 lbs...

lifting 400lbs for a dollar really puts things into perspective...haha