WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

There's broke then there's actually broke

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I'm poor, not to big a deal. My family pulls down less than 20k a year total between my wife and I. We pay our bills, whatever, here's the point.

I have a friend, he's pretty cool, but he's utterly blind of reality in some ways. This guy and his wife pull in well over 100k a year. Bully for him. When we get together to hang though, he's always the last to pitch in for anything. He's always talking about how broke he is, though he makes more than all the rest of the group we hang with put together! He's dug himself a hole, spends way way too much, then starts trying to nickle and dime us for little bullshit. Don't get me wrong, this is a pretty good guy, it's just this one thing that makes me really irritated at him sometimes.

The reality is I and the others in the group are actually broke, meaning no money. Yet we bring the soda and chips and everything else. He joins in on the "man we're broke" conversations like he's in the same boat and it fucking pisses me off now and then. I laid it out to him, and told him that while WE are broke, his version of broke is different. I'm not "Put 500 dollar into my buy a house fund, bought 500 dollars in food for a month, go golfing all the time, bought new clothes every month, etc." broke, I'm FUCKING BROKE. No money, scraping money for gas and food, broke. It really irritates me when he tries to pretend he's in the same boat, because he's not.

I just hate that.

bnccoder

Postaholic
Some people never get to know what it's like.

perry_78

Flame Bait
Yeah, there is a substantial difference.

I'm permanently broke but I get about EUR200 in a month, plus I'm 17 with little expenses if you disregard my extravagant hobby. I never claim to be stone-cold broke because I never am. If necessary I could put together quite a large amount of money.

It pains me to hear some of my acquaintances talk about being broke and not being able to afford renting that movie because they just got that surround system you know, and they can't afford anything else this week or the week after because they have to get that widescreen plasma tv :mfinger:

JLXC

Premium
perry_78 said:
It pains me to hear some of my acquaintances talk about being broke and not being able to afford renting that movie because they just got that surround system you know, and they can't afford anything else this week or the week after because they have to get that widescreen plasma tv :mfinger:
Exactly what I'm talking about!

Jung

???
Premium
JLXC said:
My family pulls down less than 20k a
No offense, and sorry for the derail, but how do two people manage to pull in less than 20k a year? Even somone making $5.50/hr brings in over 10K a year.

A little more off topic, I have some retarded friends who own expensive cars, but can never afford gas. Or the people who own big screen HDTVs, but can't afford cable. :rofl: Retards.

Billybob

Gimmie Pwnies
now I won't lie to you, I'm well off. No, scratch that. I'm, for all purposes here, ritch. I my self am not rich, $5.00/hr. before taxes for three months out of the year. But my parents are ritch. Ther have a huge house on the river, a condo in florida, a (soon to be my) hummer, a bis-ass cigarate boat, and my step mother just got a boob job. the only problem is that drove them into debt. Now they still spend exubentarly(sp?) and it mkes me sick. They spend 4 or 5 thousand to go to trips for months at a time, buy things that mke no sense. it has become so bad, my dad tried to take $250 from me tht I worked a month for, because he needed gas for his boat. He even tried to make himself ritcher than he was at the country club to impress the other members. It reminds me of grade school when the kid brings in things to try to make himself popular.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm said:
A little more off topic, I have some retarded friends who own expensive cars, but can never afford gas. Or the people who own big screen HDTVs, but can't afford cable.
Retards.

HAHAHA! That's like buying a Playstation and using the demo disc, except with a $3500 item :lol:!

I hope they enjoy the magnified static :munchies: . That fucking thing better have squelch control :rofl:.

Repped for the most retarded purchase I've ever heard of!

EDIT: I gotta spread some rep around, wait up!

magnolia

Postaholic
I hate that. I also hate when someone who is broke, like digging through the sofa for rent money broke, comes to you and expect you to pay something big for them cuz they know you instead of getting off their fat ass to get a job. And then they complain to you that they're so broke and what are they going to do cuz they're gadda get their ass kicked to the curb. Cheese and rice that pisses me off.

P.s. sorry, I got on a rant of my own there. Your situation really sucks. I'd say stop hangin out so much with him till he starts pitchin in. I'm sure you're not the only one in the group that's irritated with him.

JLXC

Premium
junglizm said:
No offense, and sorry for the derail, but how do two people manage to pull in less than 20k a year? Even somone making $5.50/hr brings in over 10K a year.
I make 8.90 an hour full-time, my wife the same but only 20-25 hours a week. Long story. But we make about 18k per year total.

perry_78

Flame Bait
How can anyone not spend money on gas or cable? Makes no fucking sense.

If I had to get a huge tv (which I won't, I like my 23" CRT blob, or my parents 32" widescreen), I would have cable and a few dishes on the roof, or in the WORST of cases, hack my neighbours cable...