WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Things to take to college?

magnolia

Postaholic
I'm off to college in about a month and a half and I was wondering what things came in handy for all you guys who've been there? My dorm room is very small with limited storage. (I know, basic college crib.) I'm making a list of things I think I'll need and I need more advice than what my sister says. (We're very different.) So, the question is, what did you use most or couldn't live without at college? Or, what things are just really handy to have around? Thanks for the help guys!

Slacker

Postaholic
You should at least have a mini fridge.
Lamp,
Blanket,
Mini t.v. if they will let you.
Small dresser.

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
Your main End tables and night stands!!

storage totes!!!

All the essentials, t.v, tooth brush.. You also have to have the mini fridge!!

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Towels and flip flops, and a little holder thingummy for all of your shower supplies.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
Hmm... many things, most important:

mp3 player
laptop
blanket
CONDOMS!!! and boxes of them.

From my experience from my first year you will probably need mostly:
Flip flops for the shower or a bath mat (trust me, some of the stuff that goes on in the showers is definitely not sanitary)
Mini fridge
Flashlights and batteries for them in case of power outage (my school had three of them. They were fun)
Storage units
Stereo
Laptop if you have one, if you don't look into getting one depending on the size of your school's desks in the dorm. A desktop will take up too much space, and you won't be able to work on it.
Other than that all you really need besides the essentials like clothes and bathroom stuff is school supplies.

CatchTheWind

Hopefully not an idiot
Notebooks. Lots and lots of notebooks. You NEED to take notes in college.

Also, check your college's policy on mini-fridges. I know the one I want to go to doesn't allow them, or microwaves, because they tend to short out the circuits in the dorms and knock out the power.

-condoms
-pillows
-blankets
-hoodies (they're like the clothing staple of the college kid)
-flip flops THAT YOU CAN GET WET. You will NEED them for showers.

mariusthegreat

:: What Ebonics ::
id stock up on the Ramen soups...food at schools suck ass..its gourmet shit the first week...then it all goes to shit after....trust me..take some pepto or tumms...

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
Bring some coffee, you know, for those late nights!!

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
mariusthegreat said:
id stock up on the Ramen soups...food at schools suck ass..its gourmet shit the first week...then it all goes to shit after....trust me..take some pepto or tumms...
What the fuck! Marius!

How have you been man?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
tiger_86 said:
Flip flops for the shower or a bath mat
Mini fridge
Flashlights and batteries
Storage units
Stereo
Laptop if you have one
Other than that all you really need besides the essentials like clothes and bathroom stuff is school supplies.
CatchTheWind said:
-condoms
-pillows
-blankets
-hoodies (they're like the clothing staple of the college kid)
Pretty much all of this stuff pluss a few other things.

Milk Crates (you think I'm kidding but they work for storage units, for book shelves, to jack your bed up off the floor if you're allowed to move furniter, as seats for friends, step stools, and can be usefull for beating the shit out of the roomie)
An alarm clock
A thick skin
A good attitude and a willingness to participate
Something from home to make the place feel more cozy

Now, there are a few things to realize about college. For starters it's pretty much EXACTLY like highschool with one major difference: In highschool there is almost always a way to pass your class. In college the professors could give a shit less about you, your problems or your excuses and will fail you just as soon as pass you.

There will be clicks. There will be guys who won't give you the time of day. There will be rich fucks that play hard, don't study and don't care too. There will be stuck up, arrogant fucks. There will be drama.

But there will be more freedom, way more people, and some great damn times. College, the education and the experience is what you choose to make of it. Don't focus 100% on studying or partying. Find a good balance. You'll be happy and you'll have good grades.

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
I got to bring all my shit cause I skipped the dorm scene.

But from what I hear....dont bring anything of value
Dont worry about the fridge thing....dont worry about food....nobody keeps food in their house. Basically bring clothes and money....everything else you can get over there. Dont tell anyone you have a car....especially in the dorm...I hear they really mooch off of the car people out there.
The dorm over here provides a little safe for peoples shit....but you have to be wary of people stealing your shit....especially in the dorm. Expect to have the shittiest roomate ever....and be wary of random people coming up to you in class....it happens ever class I get one of those "Like...Oh My God....We should totally like hang out.....but could you like....give me your notes." Unless someone has money.. do N O T give them your notes. Speaking of which...Never think that you're ok with money...you have to be a cheap bastard in college....never offer to pay for anything....I'm the opposite, I always end up paying...but I always end up with $2,three days before payday. Get used to saying "Seperate Checks"....its not rude...its expected.

Ummmm.....Copy the final chapters in the book and hit 'book buy back' like three weeks before the end of the semester....Thats how the pros do at least.
And dont let Skip scare you....Gen Eds are the equivalent of 8th grade level courses....no prob. And what I didnt know until I got here was....its expected to only take a few classes your first semester in....like three max.

oh yea....and dont be scared...freshman orientation is H U G E but its over quick and most of the time you'll never see anybody past your first class with them. Just treat every person you meet like its the last time you'll see them. Most of the time thats the case anyways.

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
Plenty of socks and underwear (ha!).

Mac and Cheese
One of those pots you plug in (so you can cook your mac and cheese)

and basically what everyone else said.

Oh, and a Swiss Army knife.

There be long nights of studying so boxed and canned foods will definitely come in handy. Besides, college students are usually poor and can't really afford the cafeteria or don'e have time to get to it most of the time anyway.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
bigck3000 said:
And dont let Skip scare you....Gen Eds are the equivalent of 8th grade level courses....no prob. And what I didnt know until I got here was....its expected to only take a few classes your first semester in....like three max.
Yeah, what he said. But I'll clarify my point a little bit anyhow. Because I can. It's the internets and it's serious business or something.

In highschool, no matter how much you fuck up in a class, you can pretty much always suck up to a teacher and get some sort of "extra credit/makeup work" and get a passing grade in the class. In college, there are almost never any handouts. If you fuck up you fail. The professors won't care why you fucked up. So basically, don't slack too much in your classes. Keep your grades at a passing level the whole time.

NEVER fall into the "I can always pull it out at the last minute" trap. It doesn't work for sex or for your grades.

bnccoder

Postaholic
Beer bong, no-doze, chaser, a calling card, check and see if tape recorders are allowed, and everything listed above.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Pajama pants/sweats, hats, and college hoodies. Early morning classes blow goats. Expect to get a few as a freshmen. You can also put in for schedules such as having classes only on tuesday and thursday, or only on monday wednesday friday... by claiming to have a job and such. Problem with those kinds of schedules is that you're pretty much going to go to classes for about 9 hours a day.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
I had two semesters where I had nothing but Tuesday/Thursday classes. That schedule rocked.

Nearly all of the classes then were comp.sci, so it wasn't a hassle for me. I thought the day would drag on, but it moved quickly. It worked out as a set of 3 classes back-to-back-to-back with a break for lunch followed by the set of 3 other classes. I started at 8:50am and day was over before 6pm. The break was around 1pm to 2pm. My day started after all my friends (they had 7:40am classes) and ended around their end time. But their schedule was like that for 4 days. I served my time in 2 days.

I was even overloading to take more credit hours than considered normal -- 19 credits when 15-16 is the norm. Some thought I might be overextending myself or have to spend all day Wednesday doing nothing but work. Nearly none of the classes ever had assignments due on Thursday. Even when they did, each assignment didn't take more than 20 minutes to complete.

Not sure if that schedule will work out for everyone, but I say give it a shot if you can. It provided for an entire year of near-vacation nirvana.

magnolia

Postaholic
My schedule is that I have classes every day, but I have 3 of my classes Mon. wed. fri. And even then none of them begin before noon and I'm done on my long days by 4:00. It's really nice cuz most of my classes are only 50 min long.

Thanks for all the advice! Keep it commin if you have it. I'm writin all this down.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I would suggest a small salt and pepper deal, like a camping set, and a big container of Garlic Salt. Those together can turn many crappy meals into almost edible ones. You should take a lock box for valuables, if possible. Perferably one you can literally chain to something, like to the frame of your bed underneath. People seriously steal shit, know it, be prepared for it.

Have fun, it's a blast and an adventure.