WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines This Hurricane may cost Republicans the 08 election, and heres why

tzedek

Original Member
After 9/11 the black population felt better about everything becuase nobody cared that they were poor, becuase of all this American patriotism. Hence Bush winning more votes in 04 than in 00. Now after this disaster they realize how much the government really cares about them. To quote Bill Maher on a black woman he talked to: "After 9/11 we were Americans, now we are back to being black."

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
uh huh.. and politics swings from side to side anyway..

this country needs a viable third party

Vote Oprah/Nugent 08

magnolia

Postaholic
I want to know, we helped by giving thousands and thousands of dollars to the Tsunami victims, but where is the help for the people who are suffering from Katrina? I donated blood for the cause. But there's so much more that needs to be done. Where is the fucking federal aid? Where is the president when LA needs to be declaired a natrual disaster zone? I repeate, where is the help?

Janglenut

Particinator
Mags, the help is there. No point in hearing statistics right now, the country is doing what it can.

Besides, the people to blame for this is A) the idiots who stayed and B) The city government and C) The state Government.

Please don't point the finger at the feds every time something goes wrong.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
I agree, but this time a finger deserves to be pointed in the federal govts direction. The president really should be ashamed of himself, and long live Kanye West.

Janglenut said:
Besides, the people to blame for this are the idiots who stayed
I couldn't agree more.

I do think that the federal government could be doing more at this point for those that weren't smart enough to evacuate. And, while they shouldn't be there in the first place, the fact is that there are americans stranded without food or water and they should be being helped. I know that there are many relief efforts in place, but if we have the kind of resources to be carrying on a war hunting down packs of terrorists offshore, we should at least be able to find our own citizens that need help on our own soil.

fuxed said:
Unless you plan on going down there and helping these people collect their lives back together, shut up about it, you aren't helping and nobody likes a fucking whiner.
Just thought I'd let you know, both of my parents are in Louisiana right now helping with the relief effort. I've been down once and my brother, who is going through college has been down there twice helping as well. Just because you're not doing anything to help doesn't mean the rest of the world isn't.:mfinger:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
teh anarchist said:
I couldn't agree more.

I do think that the federal government could be doing more at this point for those that weren't smart enough to evacuate. And, while they shouldn't be there in the first place, the fact is that there are americans stranded without food or water and they should be being helped. I know that there are many relief efforts in place, but if we have the kind of resources to be carrying on a war hunting down packs of terrorists offshore, we should at least be able to find our own citizens that need help on our own soil.
It's been said time and time again that many of the people who didn't leave hung around because they had no other alternative. When you're poor enough that food to the table is a fight, how do you get out of town? Where do you go? You don't have a car. You can't afford a hotel. How do you get out of town? Bum a ride from someone you don't know?

I thought that those people were to blame as well. I figured they were just being stuborn asshats. Some of them were. But then you've got the folks that just didn't have any alternative. Blaming them is like blaming a chicken for laying eggs.

It should have been obvious just reading the oh so crappy news source of cnn.com that the federal government did fuck up. This shit hits the fan and Bush stays on vacation for two more days. Homeland Security repeatedly says "It's fine, everything is ok, the flooding isn't that bad." The head of FEMA says "Well, uhhhh.... yeah."

I don't know about the local politics involved but it was obvious from the moment the levees broke that this was beyond what could be handled at a local or state level. Did the city and state responses fuck up? Probably. Did the federal government's response fuck up? Absolutely.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Q: What's George Bush's position on Roe v. Wade?
A: He really doesn't care how people get out of New Orleans.

MetalHead

Clitpickle
Bush admitting that everything was his fault was nothing more than a PR move. He had to say that it was his fault in order to make himself appear self-less and willing to take the blame when blame is due. Besides, what did he have to lose? Everyone had already established that it was his fault, what would admitting it do... absolutely no harm.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
agreed.. karl rove took out his media manipulatoriser and calculated that a fall from bush now would assure a leap and a bound for condi in '08..

vote oprah/nugent '08.
(anthem..)

jamesp

In Memory...
MetalHead said:
Bush admitting that everything was his fault was nothing more than a PR move. He had to say that it was his fault in order to make himself appear self-less and willing to take the blame when blame is due. Besides, what did he have to lose? Everyone had already established that it was his fault, what would admitting it do... absolutely no harm.
Exactly! It was all a public relations move. Actually, his admission brought him from 38% in the national opinion, to what? 48% again? The United States in general decided that he and his administration were impotent morons for their handling of this disaster. Only after realizing that their lack of action pissed a lot of people off did he do the press release.