WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines This is getting fucking RIDICULOUS!

Boycott

Soul Doubt
The music industry is to extend its copyright war by taking legal action against websites offering unlicensed song scores and lyrics.

The Music Publishers' Association (MPA), which represents US sheet music companies, will launch its first campaign against such sites in 2006.

MPA president Lauren Keiser said he wanted site owners to be jailed.

He said unlicensed guitar tabs and song scores were widely available on the internet but were "completely illegal".

Mr Keiser said he did not just want to shut websites and impose fines, saying if authorities can "throw in some jail time I think we'll be a little more effective".

Bitter battles

The move comes after several years of bitter legal battles against unauthorised services allowing users to download recordings for free.

Publishing companies have taken action against websites in the past, but this will be the first co-ordinated legal campaign by the MPA.

The MPA would target "very big sites that people would think are legitimate and very, very popular", Mr Keiser said.

"The Xerox machine was the big usurper of our potential income," he said. "But now the internet is taking more of a bite out of sheet music and printed music sales so we're taking a more proactive stance."

David Israelite, president of the National Music Publishers' Association, added his concerns.

"Unauthorised use of lyrics and tablature deprives the songwriter of the ability to make a living, and is no different than stealing," he said.

"Music publishers and songwriters will consider all tools under the law to stop this illegal behaviour."

Sandro del Greco, who runs Tabhall.co.uk, said the issue was not serious enough to warrant jail time and sites like his were not necessarily depriving publishers of income.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4508158.stm

-----------------------------------------------------
My suggestion to anyone who uses music tabs - Save them to word documents NOW!
mxtabs is one of the first sites to hit the road (or they're just down right now?) ...

This is complete bullshit. If people want to figure out how to play the songs without freaking sheet music (as its hard to find the sheets for decent bands), I think they should be allowed to tab it out and give it to all their friends.

Music is an art, and should be free.

Woodreaux

Original Dicksman
Jail time? Prisons are financed by tax payer dollars. Therefore, by pushing for criminal (as opposed to civil) changes and imprisonment, they want tax payers to support their war. I'm tired of paying for some other assholes' war.
That's bullshit! That's it, I'm declaring open season on MPA executives and lawyers.

Swid

Mentally Incarcerated
This is completely insane. These capitalist bastards! And damn MXtabs isn't working right now! I think this might actually hurt their industry though, because alot of people find out songs by their lyrics. Complete bullshit.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Their greed will be their downfall.

Actually no, they will retire rich and fat, while artists and music in general get smacked around. Evil capitalist pigs.

All be it people gotta make a living the RIA and MPA are taking this too far.
Next thing you know there will be a fee to pay for each song as you listen to a CD you just bought. And now they are saying people are copying Sheet Music illegally? And notice they are only going after the websites that offer current music. I dont see them going after anyone for downloading Mozart or Beethoven, or Copying their sheet music. They say people are stealing proffits because of downloading, and the RIA released a record low in profit loss of $1.4 Billion dollars in 2002 as proof. Which may seem like alot unless you look at their total profit margin for the year of $18 Billion. If anyone is stealing its them stealing from our pockets. We gotta do something about this. Boycott recorded music.

DOWN WITH THE RIA!!!!!!and MPA to stick within the guidlines of this thread.

DirtyBird

Divides by Zero
I can't believe they're cracking down on tab sites... welcome to 1984, people. Hail Big Brother.... Ugh.

dirtlover

The best and the worst
I just hope they will go TOO far. assholes. sheet music?! ffs, as someone pointed out, music should be an art, but it just seems to be a way of making money. aargh.

MrGuitardeath

Banned - What an Asshat!
Actually

I'm betting the decision to prosecute is ultimately decided by the bands themselves since the music is their's. It gets licensed under the record label but in their names. Besides, most the bands have started their own labels under the major corporations and infiltrated ultimately infiltrated them. I doubt things are anywhere near as bad as you are being led to believe.

ps - as long as you dont steal my music until AFTER I've recorded and copyrighted it, I don't care. You'd be surprised how many bands kids love are thieves in the first place that took something of someone elses and beat them to the finish like. Those are the REAL thieves.

OmegaZeto

Eyeless Pilot
MrGuitardeath said:
I'm betting the decision to prosecute is ultimately decided by the bands themselves since the music is their's. It gets licensed under the record label but in their names. Besides, most the bands have started their own labels under the major corporations and infiltrated ultimately infiltrated them. I doubt things are anywhere near as bad as you are being led to believe.

ps - as long as you dont steal my music until AFTER I've recorded and copyrighted it, I don't care. You'd be surprised how many bands kids love are thieves in the first place that took something of someone elses and beat them to the finish like. Those are the REAL thieves.
Agreed.
+rep

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
Boycott said:
"Unauthorised use of lyrics and tablature deprives the songwriter of the ability to make a living, and is no different than stealing," he said.
No, this is the record companies that will lose money, not the artist. And how do you lose the ability to make a living, by having people sing and play your music:confused:

This is about some jackass wanting more money, nothing more.:bs:

As far as cracking down on tabs, I've always been a guy who believes you should figure out the songs by ear, but this is getting ridiculous.

As far as music downloading, there's so much out of print stuff I listen to, it's not like the bands I like are losing any money if I download their stuff most of the time anyway.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
With songs I usually try to play it by ear, but if I want to learn a song in a hurry I'll look at a tab... I don't think its the artists that are pissed off about the tab sites being taken down - I mean, if you get free advertising from a local cover band, or something thats great, you're actually gaining money in that place.

Its not like this will really stop anyone from sharing tabs and shit on torrent sites and P2P programs anyways. If a person wants to play the song, they'll find a way to get the tab, or learn it out by ear...

Its definitely not most of the artists I listen to, as they've actually posted some of their tabs on forums and such...

Watch - they're going to make a site that you have to pay to get your tabs from now. Just like they did with Napster...

Hater808

The hate still Shapes me
My favorite site's down to. They even hava a little note saying why they shut down.

http://www.powertabs.net/

They say the bands won't make money. That's a bunch of shit, most of them are rich anyway. There going to kill the music industry in america. How can people learn to play on thier own without tabs or music. i can understand after you get good to listen and learn but to get to that point to me a while and I needed help using the tabs. What going to happen is your going to see less musicans coming out because the resources are less avaiable. Isn't the point of rock to get against the system? I know not all of it but fuck. Music is people's outlet, don't start fucking with that so you can make a buck.

DirtyBird

Divides by Zero
It's not as if these are "official" tabs... these are third party tabs. These are merely interpretations of another artist's work. INTERPRETATIONS. Is it going to be illegal to post a plot summary of a movie in your own words soon? It seems like it will be.

Before you know it, they're going to ban speakers and require everyone listen to music on headphones because OMG OMG OMG people who didnt buy it may be able to hear stereo-projected music! OMG!

Ugh...

And the only thing downloading and copyright infringement hurts is the rich, for the less mainstream acts, I can only believe it's free publicity and a way to get your music out there to more people than would have otherwise heard it. I think this is a golden age for music, where you dont have to rely solely on word of mouth anymore...

I can tell ya, 95% of my cd collection was bought because I was able to listen first... and hell, I even bought a few of them after hearing the tunes on powertab... (necrophagist anyone...?)

This is nothing more than greedy corporate america...

And you know what's even more ridiculous? As someone may have pointed out, the MPA and RIAA do not represent ALL music ever, they dont even represent all current music. Yet sites that *happen* to have current music under their jurisdiction must apparently be closed down entirely. Who are they to say what other groups feel is in their best interests?

Greedy pigs. This is only the beginning of the death of personal expression for the sake of $$$.

I might as well just quit making music all together, no one is ever going to be able to hear it without signing contracts.

Hell, clubs ALREADY PAY LICENSE FEES to the RIAA on the behalf of coverbands. It's just the way things work, if a cover MIGHT be played there, they have to pay the fees...

And I'm sure all of that goes back to the artists too... :rolleyes: Because you know artists who have their songs covered regularly really need that money too... :rolleyes: