WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

This is why I hate Dell Dimensions

Descent

Hella Constipated
My buddy Carl got a relatively new Dell Dimension 2400 from his uncle for free - It looks nice in terms of specs...2.49GHz Celeron D (The quick as fuck ones), 256MB RAM, Intel Extreme Graphics 2, a great starter system. It has only one minor drawback...

IT'S THE YEAR 2005, AND IT HAS NO FUCKING AGP SLOT!

This isn't 1998 - and I've known for ages that entry level Dell systems are the only ones on the market without AGP expansion capabilites. But for fucks sake, on a Prescott based box?! That's ass-raping the customer! It's not even fucking usable for games! I mean, upgrading from an Intel Bullshit Chipset GPU to a Radeon 9200 PCI (Fastest PCI card to date) is BARELY even a step up!

To put it in perpective, I have an FIC VA-503+ Super Socket 7 board from 1999 that has a fully working AGP 2x slot. It's ironic on how an overclocked K6-2 500Mhz machine, I have run a better card than Carl could even imagine to (9700 Pro).

There ya have it, downright proof that Dell no longer gives a shit about the customer, and would much rather reap in the cash and ride on their "award winning customer service and support," which hasn't been awarded gold since 2001 (Corporate users have been saved, although they DID have Hindu tech support for a while).

So now, I'm hunting for a new motherboard and case. You can't put the motherboard in the Dell case unless you want to redo the pinouts (Which Dell keeps top secret in a 32 wire ribbon cable), and the Dell mobo would take ages to get working in a new case.

That's at least $80 more out of his wallet for a good gaming computer. At least the PSU's are now standard ATX, so I'm considering a Chaintech or Asus P4 Socket 478 board and a Logisys case (They make good budget cases unlike PowMax, they actually use real metal and paint).

Getting a system? Don't go Dell.

Jung

???
Premium
I just like the pretty colors...

(My work clusters.) :happysad:

Seriously though, it's a bottom of the line Celeron, it probably only cost $399 brand new; it's not exactly a gaming machine. Most low-end prefabs come with integrated graphics as well... It does suck that it lacks an AGP slot, but I doubt most people who buy those PCs ever upgrade their video card. And if they were would be gamers, they'd know better than to buy an entry level PC.

I'm sure Dell is saving a significant amount by omitting that, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't bother 99% of their target audience. Also take into account that the lack of those feature likely contribute to the overall cost. (which is good for consumers who want a basic, low-end computer.) Not to mention that it's a good business idea; people have to either upgrade or buy your gaming machines to do any serious gaming. (which wouldn't be done on that PC anyway.)

Dells suck anyway, on my old dell i needed to get some new memory, but i couldn't go to a random store and buy one, i had to custom order memory from dell, a real waste of time and money, it cost like 50$ extra.

Jung

???
Premium
dull_bullet said:
Dells suck anyway, on my old dell i needed to get some new memory, but i couldn't go to a random store and buy one, i had to custom order memory from dell, a real waste of time and money, it cost like 50$ extra.
Why not? Dells use the same RAM everyone else uses.

Dunno, when i went to fry's, the salesguy said that their memory wouldn't work in a dell dimension. i ended up having to custom order and....well you know how it goes.

Jung

???
Premium
dull_bullet said:
Dunno, when i went to fry's, the salesguy said that their memory wouldn't work in a dell dimension. i ended up having to custom order and....well you know how it goes.
:rofl:

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that the guy that worked at Fry's was clueless. Next time go to crucial.com and find out what kind of ram you need, then buy it from Newegg or a local store.

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:

Seriously though, it's a bottom of the line Celeron, it probably only cost $399 brand new; it's not exactly a gaming machine. Most low-end prefabs come with integrated graphics as well... It does suck that it lacks an AGP slot, but I doubt most people who buy those PCs ever upgrade their video card. And if they were would be gamers, they'd know better than to buy an entry level PC.

I'm sure Dell is saving a significant amount by omitting that, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't bother 99% of their target audience. Also take into account that the lack of those feature likely contribute to the overall cost. (which is good for consumers who want a basic, low-end computer.) Not to mention that it's a good business idea; people have to either upgrade or buy your gaming machines to do any serious gaming. (which wouldn't be done on that PC anyway.)
Well yeah, you have a point there. But I honestly don't see how a 99 cent connector cannot be soldered onto the bitch. I COULD always hunt around for a 4xxx series motherboard for him, but it wouldn't be futureproof, and it would be a waste of time considering that I could get him this and this for what would be the same as a Dell spare and recycle his current PSU...

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
junglizm said:

EXACTLY! Why the fuck would Carl even care?

a) He got the system for free
b) It's a shitty system with integrated graphics. Why would Dell bother manufacturing an AGP slot in a bareware system?

The only thing that's kinda weird is most ATX mobo's have an AGP slot regardless of the quality of the motherboard. Honestly though, Dell makes some solid computers for their price. Their Optiplex and newer Dimension models are actually some of the better computers on the market if you're shopping for price vs. quality. I've never had a problem with Dell hardware besides the HDD's and my family has owned 4 Dell machines. The reason for this is that they ship crappy Maxtor 40-80 gig harddrives in all the new/refurbished machines.

I wish you'd quit making outrageous claims every time you disapprove of something. One bad encounter doesn't mean the whole distribution line sucks.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
But I honestly don't see how a 99 cent connector cannot be soldered onto the bitch.
It's not just a connector, it's a bus as well. I'm also sure it costs more than 99¢ when you're contracting to have a few million of those motherboards fabricated.
LiberatioN said:
The only thing that's kinda weird is most ATX mobo's have an AGP slot regardless of the quality of the motherboard.
Intel makes special motherboards just for Dell, I'd assume that there is a decent amount of savings to be had by neglecting to include an AGP slot/bus.

Jessica43999 said:
Im computer science class, they taught us that AMD out does Intel terribly. That's all I gotta say... :)
Thanks for your contribution to this thread.

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
Jessica43999 said:
Im computer science class, they taught us that AMD out does Intel terribly. That's all I gotta say... :)
At least they taught you something that's correct. I'm proud of you sweety.

junglizm said:
Intel makes special motherboards just for Dell, I'd assume that there is a decent amount of savings to be had by neglecting to include an AGP slot/bus.
I kind of figured as much...

"b) It's a shitty system with integrated graphics. Why would Dell bother manufacturing an AGP slot in a bareware system?"

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
junglizm said:
:rofl:

Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that the guy that worked at Fry's was clueless. Next time go to crucial.com and find out what kind of ram you need, then buy it from Newegg or a local store.
Or just order the RAM from Crucial in the first place. Unless things have changed, their prices are fair and shipping is free. It's actually made in the US and is backed with a full on life time warranty. Good return policy too.