WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines throwing bananas

kindbud

Banned - What an Asshat!
i don't rely on hbo sports as my primary source of news, but have any of you been around when this has occured?

"One of the biggest challenges for American sports fans is understanding the huge appeal of professional soccer (football) in Europe. To a large degree, the scope of the intense hometown support and spirited rivalries that exist between dueling teams is admirable athletic competition. But extreme fan behavior is also part of the mix in European football. Now, a three-year REAL SPORTS investigation uncovers a disturbing, unchecked aspect of fan activity -- blatant racism. Among examples of extreme fan reaction to individual players are the mimicking of monkey sounds and the throwing of bananas anytime a black player touches the ball, as well as the waving of swastikas and open Nazi salutes. Speaking with Bryant Gumbel, players such as Thierry Henry of England's Arsenal reveal that in parts of Europe "home field advantage" has less to do with the color of one's jersey and more to do with the color of one's skin."

yeh, i understand that some intellectuals around here still burn crosses and such, but it sounds as if the majority of some crowds get in on the so called fun.

i deal with some major assholes of this sort at my golf club...seems old money and racism show the biggest correlation. it's quiet and behind the scenes in golf, but i'm just surprised that its so open and seemingly accepted in europe....at football games at least. from my few treks across france, holland, belgium and germany, i never witnessed any of that.

any of you?

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
parts of europe
didn't go the right parts if you didn't see racism, or you didn't go to any football matches at all..

and it's a working class thing.. not like the golf-usa parallel..

try eastern european football matches for a good primer in unmitigated thuggery, or maybe just try your luck at a chelsea match, you don't need to be black either, just not wearing a home team shirt..

american sports fans are too eager to 'whoop it up' drinking donkey piss in a 12oz, they forget that riots can be fun every weekend..

diamond

The nice guy
I have only seen it happen once, and the guy shouting the insults was prompted smashed in the face by the guy behind him. It isn't generally accepted, but it does happen occasionally.

Of far more concern are the incidents of violence on the terraces and groups such as the Chelsea headhunters etc, who go to the matches to fight the opposing teams supporters as much as watch the game.
Stadiums have been modified to try and deter this, but there is still a worry and many people would not take their children to a game, particularly one that highlights old rivalries.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Yuuup.. Welcome to life, there's morons everywhere.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I've read about this before. It has caused numerous ad campaings to become cancelled including a new UK Dreamcast ad for a soccer game. "Tell Johnny Foreigner who's boss."

You can literally incite fans with that shit.

But in America I just get a raised eyebrow when I say I'm a Cleveland Indians fan :lol:.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
why does european football own american football?

diamond

The nice guy
That would be Eric Cantona assaulting the Crystal Palace supporter Void.

Hardly what would be considered 'normal' for football.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Celtic or Rangers yet in this thread. That is probably the most blatant example of racism mixing with football. The whole, Protestant-Catholic thing. With crossbows and other such weaponry, I'd take a banana thrown at me any day.

Descent

Hella Constipated
void said:
why does european football own american football?

Because Americans are the only ones who play "Futbol de Norteamericano."

Wow, taking Spanish really paid off :rolleyes:.

diamond

The nice guy
canadian_pov said:
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Celtic or Rangers yet in this thread. That is probably the most blatant example of racism mixing with football. The whole, Protestant-Catholic thing. With crossbows and other such weaponry, I'd take a banana thrown at me any day.
Is it really any worse than the London Derby's?

Chelsea V Arsenal.....Millwall Vs .....well anybody?

You can hardly argue racism when Scot Vs Scot, regardless of religion. I have attended quite a few of the new year derbys of Rangers, Celtic and crossbows were conspicuous only by their absence.