WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

TigerDirect Sues Apple Over New OS

Jung

???
Premium
http://www.betanews.com/article/TigerDirect_Sues_Apple_Over_New_OS/1114725275
By Nate Mook, BetaNews
April 28, 2005, 5:54 PM

Online computer and peripheral retailer TigerDirect has filed suit against Apple claiming Mac OS X 10.4, known as "Tiger," infringes on its trademarked name. According to court filings obtained by Bloomberg, TigerDirect is seeking an injunction to stop Apple's new operating system from going on sale.

The lawsuit, filed in Miami, Florida, also claims that Apple engaged in deceptive and unfair trade practices. TigerDirect says Apple's use of Tiger "is causing confusion, mistake and deception among the general purchasing public."

The retailer owns trademarks on Tiger, TigerDirect and TigerSoftware, which appear in 25 million catalogs each year.

TigerDirect's main contention is that Apple has flooded the Internet with the word "tiger" as it relates to computers, which has knocked the retailer from the top of search results on Google and Yahoo.

"Apple Computer has created and launched a nationwide media blitz led by Steven Jobs, overwhelming the computer world with a sea of Tiger references," the lawsuit says.

Bloomberg reports that TigerDirect is asking the court to permanently prevent Apple from using the Tiger name, as well as seeking damages. Apple's new Mac OS X release is scheduled to go on sale worldwide starting Friday at 6pm.
Hahaha. Do they seriously think they'll win a suit against Apple? Tiger Direct will probably end up going bankrupt first...

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
Well it depends on the degree of supposed "copyright infringement"...but ya, it's unlikely considering TigerDirect/TigerSoftware is much less established and less credible in their claims. We'll see what happens...

WTFNation

"I'm a Song From The 60s"
They've got a point... Having Apple flood the net with references to 'Tiger' would certainly hurt their search results...

Why don't these companies think of this though and avoid tying up the court system. I mean, isn't it REASONABLY foreseeable for Apple, to think by naming its software product 'Tiger' they might come into conflict with a SOFTWARE and computer distributor of the same name? There's a million other catchy, easily marketable and easy-to-remember names they could have taken!

Anyways....

WTFN

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
WTFNation said:
There's a million other catchy, easily marketable and easy-to-remember names they could have taken!
WTFN
Yes but what likely happened hear is that their internal code name got leaked so they ran with it.

I've worked for a large company most noteable known for their printers and their shitty CEO getting canned. While there I worked on projects named:
Transformer
Optimus Prime
Megatron
Deceptacon
Autobot
Cassini

Just to name a few. All of those are copyrighted. Hell, the Transformer lines even had the little Autobot and Deceptacon logos printed on them.

Tiger probably doesn't have much to stand on since the way Apple is marketing this isn't really in competition with TigerDirect. Beyond that the word Tiger by itself is a word in common use in the language. Had Apple used TigerDirect or Tiger with the TigerDirect logo (or a spin off) then they'd have room to gripe.

Zickddot

Banned - What an Asshat!
they cant win, google isnt a gov't owned search engine, so they should be suing google...again they wouldnt win.

it's fair game, it's pretty much up to google for this matter.

Jung

???
Premium
WTFNation said:
They've got a point... Having Apple flood the net with references to 'Tiger' would certainly hurt their search results...

Why don't these companies think of this though and avoid tying up the court system. I mean, isn't it REASONABLY foreseeable for Apple, to think by naming its software product 'Tiger' they might come into conflict with a SOFTWARE and computer distributor of the same name? There's a million other catchy, easily marketable and easy-to-remember names they could have taken!
WTFN
Apple chose that as a code name a long time ago. It's in keeping with OSX's previous codenames: Mac OS X 10.0 Cheetah, 10.1 Puma, 10.2 Jaguar, 10.3 Panther, and now 10.4 Tiger.

To win this Tiger Direct would have to prove that Apple's unofficial codename actually hinders their ability to do business, which is just absurd. Furthermore, Google's suggest auto fills Tiger Direct when you type in Tiger. What's even more retarded is that Tiger Direct sells Apple products...

This is as ridiculous as a computer store named "Longhorn Computers" suing Microsoft for it's upcoming OS.

You forget .. people are corrupt money-grubbing little fuckers.

Hopefully the only thing that will come of this is more publicity for Apple's new OS Tiger, which, if anyone was wondering, kicks ass. The spotlight feature alone makes it an amazing upgrade. (if you couldn't tell, I'm an apple fanatic)

Jung

???
Premium
I guess Tiger Direct is worried that people might get them confused with a company that sells quality products and delivers them as advertised...

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm said:
I guess Tiger Direct is worried that people might get them confused with a company that sells quality products and delivers them as advertised...
Fucking
. I absolutely FUCKING HATE TigerDirect...

I'm no Apple fan either...I mean, I constantly draw Swatchitkas (Fuck spelling, I just woke up) on Mac machines in my comics.

That's in reference to the Mac users who try to get people to convert, and always claim "Mac Superiority" when the last PC they used was a Presario way back when with Windows 98.

I'm not talking about good Mac users like Junglizm, TwisT, my friend Chris, or my biology teacher.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
Fucking
. I absolutely FUCKING HATE TigerDirect...
Indeed. Their prices aren't what they used to be and their service has always been shitty. I took me two times before I said fuck them, and I'd never go back.

First time, I paid for overnight shipping, got charged for overnight shipping, then received my order over a week later. Not because of UPS either, they shipped it out four days late, after my order was confirmed as processed and ready to ship. It took almost a week for me to get them to admit they fucked me and credit my card back.

Second time, I ordered an 80GB drive (this was years ago when 80GB drives were new and expensive). I ordered regular shipping this time for fear that the concept of express shipping might break the flow of their awesome business. Upon receiving my drive, it worked for about two weeks, until I woke up one morning before PT to find a blank screen and clicking drive; the head crashed. Awesome!

They dicked about for more than two weeks with my RMA, refusing to cross ship me one in the process, and tried to tell me that I'd have to contact Western Digital to get an RMA. Then, after speaking to a "manager" they finally decided to ship me a new drive. Well that was great, except that they tried to charge me for shipping. After telling them I would forward my bank the emails and do a stop payment, they dropped it. What a cluster fuck of a business...
God I hate EbaumsWorld.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
I personally have never had an issue with TigerDirect.. I have noticed the prices aren't what they used to be though...
But I have to wonder if people's opinions would be different if this suit was against BG... with all the anti-microsoft shit I have read on this board...

Jung

???
Premium
DanGeo23 said:
with all the anti-microsoft shit I have read on this board...
I rag on Microsoft because they make it easy. I do believe that heir products have their place, hell, I'm forced to work with them everyday at work. I fault other companies for their mistakes as well, Microsoft just seems to be so damn good at fucking up.

This would be a frivolous and retarded lawsuit regardless. Tiger Direct has just fucked themselves; not only did they pick a ginat to go against, they're also an Apple retailer... I think anyone can read this and laugh, not just Mac fans.

Btw, I have no clue what your reference to BG means.