WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Time Travel problems...

DirtyBird

Divides by Zero
2,757
39
48
#1
Okay guys, this is something about time travel that's always perplexed me.

Let's assume we figure out how to do it without using some sort of space ship and general relativity, and we have just a machine you sit in and zoom through time with.

Wouldn't you be forced to go through time in some perfect 1 year multiple of the current date?

Let me explain, you could go to 1 year from now, 136516 years from now, or 20 years from now. But you could not go, for instance, 1 year, and 6 months from now.

Why do you ask?

I will tell you why. Because if you go forward in time 6 months, the earth will be on the other side of hte sun, and who says when you travel through time you travel with the earth's orbit? I dont see why you would. To me it would seem most "logical" that you travel through time locked in that one location until you stop. So if you went forward 6 months, you owuld reappear where you left, but the earth would have moved through its orbit all the way to the other side ofhte sun by then, leaving you screwed and floating in space.

How come no one ever accounts to this? When I want to enjoy my science fiction, I want it to be plausibly ridiculous! :mad:
 

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
1,723
3
38
#2
Well, if your traveling trough time, usaully everything would follow you, but you are going a lot faster. Its almost like your hibranating for a while. Its nothing like teleporting. Its basically speeding up time around you.
 

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
1,415
0
0
#3
the brief history of time-stephen hawking
the universe in a nutshell-same

good books....definitely worth a read if you're interested. Its not hardcore physics, its something that anyone with a bit of understanding can read.
 

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
5,438
87
142
#4
another thing to bake your noodle is even in multiples of a year wouldnt work because the solar system moves around the galaxy at all times... and the galaxy moves through the universe.. so unless you found a way to move through space and time simultaniously you would be sucking stellar dust no matter what...

and on a side note the time machine would have to be constructed with the intent to just enjoy time itself... if the machine was created with any motive such as saving your wife or winning the lotto it would pose paradox problems as once you achive your motive, the purpose for creating the machine would be gone, hence the machine wouldnt exist...
 

DirtyBird

Divides by Zero
2,757
39
48
#5
Good point about he solar system moving... I guess any sort of stationary time machine is a bad idea.

And paradoxes may not be enough in and of themselves to make it impossible... it's possible that you're just creating a new timeline with new events... an alternate future. And if there's one alternate future, there are surely infinite alternate futures...

Makes me wish I understood string theory better...
 

kindbud

Banned - What an Asshat!
979
0
0
#6
my machine has a mm/dd/yyyy set-up for the target date, so it is possible.

if you can find the galactic files that house our history, and tap into yours, all it would take is a good virtual reality program to travel back in time. locked files so the tards don't fuck up present day.

i think the new xbox has that option.
 

Jung

???
Premium
13,980
1,398
487
#7
DirtyBird said:
Okay guys, this is something about time travel that's always perplexed me.

Let's assume we figure out how to do it without using some sort of space ship and general relativity, and we have just a machine you sit in and zoom through time with.

Wouldn't you be forced to go through time in some perfect 1 year multiple of the current date?

Let me explain, you could go to 1 year from now, 136516 years from now, or 20 years from now. But you could not go, for instance, 1 year, and 6 months from now.

Why do you ask?

I will tell you why. Because if you go forward in time 6 months, the earth will be on the other side of hte sun, and who says when you travel through time you travel with the earth's orbit? I dont see why you would. To me it would seem most "logical" that you travel through time locked in that one location until you stop. So if you went forward 6 months, you owuld reappear where you left, but the earth would have moved through its orbit all the way to the other side ofhte sun by then, leaving you screwed and floating in space.

How come no one ever accounts to this? When I want to enjoy my science fiction, I want it to be plausibly ridiculous! :mad:
One take on this:

Your entire theory depends on the assumption that a relative position in our three dimensional world would be represented by an equal relative position in space-time. However, you fail to explain why your theory makes this assumption. Nothing says that a position in our dimension would be relative to a dimension where space and time blur together.

Given that, time travel could possibly traverse any relative position, just as we traverse distances in an automobile. For example, it would be plausible to assume that one could initiate time travel from position X and choose to end travel at position Y. Why is this possible? Because time travel doesn't take place in our dimension, thus any limitations placed upon us by our dimension are irrelevant.



Another way to look at this:

Going by wormhole theory, and Einstein's special theory of relativity, time is relative to a specific location, or place in space-time. For example, it's theorized that time would move faster on one side of the event horizon of a wormhole than on the other. Effectively 'bending' or 'folding' space and time; time would stop or slow to a crawl during the actual travel.

So going by that, the time it takes earth to complete a complete orbit of the sun would be irrelevant to time travel. One could start and end their journey at the exact same physical location, and point in time as they started, relative to the dimension. For example, one initiates time dilation in our three dimensional reality, passes through a fourth dimension (space-time) and exits it at the exact same location and relative time, albeit in a different place on our time line. In this case, the earth's rotation is irrelevant.
Darklight said:
another thing to bake your noodle is even in multiples of a year wouldnt work because the solar system moves around the galaxy at all times... and the galaxy moves through the universe.. so unless you found a way to move through space and time simultaniously you would be sucking stellar dust no matter what...
But in all the current theories of time travel, space-time manipulation is the key factor. In a three dimensional world, given three dimensional quantum physics, time travel is utterly impossible, but with the understanding of space-time a fourth dimension becomes available to us. It is theorized that this fourth dimension would allow us to pass through time as we would space, with just as much ease. The rotation of earth doesn't interfere with our land, sea, air or space travel, so why would it hinder time travell?



All of this is purely speculation at this point, but I find this topic interesting. I'm also a scifi nerd myself.
 

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
5,438
87
142
#8
junglizm said:
But in all the current theories of time travel, space-time manipulation is the key factor. In a three dimensional world, given three dimensional quantum physics, time travel is utterly impossible, but with the understanding of space-time a fourth dimension becomes available to us. It is theorized that this fourth dimension would allow us to pass through time as we would space, with just as much ease. The rotation of earth doesn't interfere with our land, sea, air or space travel, so why would it hinder time travell?

All of this is purely speculation at this point, but I find this topic interesting. I'm also a scifi nerd myself.
i think the idea is if you have a stationary time machine... like say a portal generator that opens a hole to another point in time... when you walk through the earth wouldnt be there for you to step on since the portal exists in the exact same X/Y/Z coordinates in space. and earth is on the other side of the solar system or another part of the galaxy.. thus you would step right into open space and die....

the same thing would occure with say a wearable machine or whatnot.. only if you have a machine that moves an entire vehicle with it through time that maintains environment inside could you go to any time...

its only if time and space are directly relevant to eachother, such as you open a portal in your lab in hill dale california in 1985, and because that exact location in space rotated with the earth and galaxy through time it opens in hill dale california in 1955...
 

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
146
0
0
#9
According to one interpretation of quantum physics every time a quantum object, such as an electron, is faced with a choice, the world divides to allow it to take every possibile course. So all possibilities are played out in separate dimensions. With every choice you make, the other choice is taken in another dimension. Some physicists point to the Two Slit Experiment as proof of this.

The two slit experiment is performed by using a laser to shoot photons one at a time at a metal plate with two slits in it. The photons should fly through one slit or the other, making two lines on a photosensitive screen behind it. But that doesn't happen. The photons scatter like they are bouncing off of each other past the plate, making a spray-like pattern on the screen. They say the photons are bouncing off photons in parallel dimensions causing the spray pattern.

So if you went back in time and killed your Grandmother before your mother was born, you would move along a different branch of the universe, where your mother was not killed.In the first branch of reality, you were never born, but there is no paradox, because in the universe next door your grandmother is alive and you are born to go back and kill her.

Now how do you travel back in time, or jump to another dimension? Beats me. A wormhole, traveling very close to or through a black hole where time doesn't exist are theories physicists bring up. The following paragraph is from an IIT website, I'll copy it here so you don't have to dig through the whole page.

Einstein’s special and general theories of relativity combine three-dimensional space with time to form four dimensional space-time. Space-time consists of points or events that represent a particular place at a particular time. Your entire life thus forms a sort of twisting, turning worm in space time! The tip of the worm’s tail would be your birth and its head is the event of your death. The line which this worm creates with its body is called that object’s worldline. Einstein predicts that worldlines can be distorted by massive bodies such as black holes. This is essentially the origin of gravity, remember. Now if an object’s worldline were to be distorted so much as to form a loop that connected with a point on itself that represented an earlier place and time, it would create a corridor to the past! Picture a loop to loop track that smashes into itself as it comes back around. This closed loop is called a closed timelike curve.

Here's the link if you would like to read the whole thing:
http://www.iit.edu/~bosabri/time.html