WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Today, I climbed bullshit mountain.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
I've recently taken a pit bull named Kylie from my aunt because she broke one of her other dog's legs. The dog with the broken leg was always the aggressor, so I thought nothing of bringing her into the family. She's one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met, amazingly gentle with people, and will gladly put up with far more crap from my daughter than Dozer (my rottweiler that came with the marriage) would. Probably because she likes to share her food with them, but that's beside the point.

This morning, I woke up to the sound of my dogs fighting. When I got to the front room, Kylie Had Dozer by the right foreleg, he had her by the muzzle, and my mother was beating her with an empty backpack (daughter and I are currently visiting family, but also beside the point). While I was trying to pry them apart, Dozer shook his head hard enough for her to flinch, and he wrestled his leg free. When she went down for another bite, instead of him she got a mouthful of my fingers. She released the second she realized she had me instead, and I took the opportunity to drag her into the back yard. According to my mother, Dozer went into a corner for a ball and she went after him. I assess the damage to discover Dozer was going to need stitches, and I possibly have a broken index finger. I make sure to take the time to roar at Kylie for a bit, but aside from her face looking like a bag of shredded cheese, she doesn't seem too worse for wear. Dozer's far worse off than I am, so after my daughter and I are dressed, I load up Dozer into the back of the car (lifting an 80 pound terrified canine is a fucking pain in the ass with one hand, by the way) and we're off to the vet. No trouble there, a quick initial exam and they're willing to hospitalize him for a while so I can leave. Since he was already putting some weight on his leg after we got there, they don't recommend bothering with an X-ray, and I think to myself "Hey, this might actually go pretty smoothly."

Then we arrived at the hospital. Ohh, motherfuck, I hate this place. I've been here before (ironically also for a dog bite, but on my face), so I know I'm going to be waiting for-fucking-ever. What I wasn't expecting, and what I'm sure you are by now, is that I was going to be spending those hours of waiting dealing with a small army of mouthbreathing morons trying to lecture me and spewing bullshit all over the place. It started with the nurse that was taking my vitals. "Oh, blah blah blah, pit bulls are all vicious killers. Look at this scar, I got it from a friend's dog I had known for 7 years." I tell her I'm not buying into her bullshit, and she responds with "Well, you should," but leaves it at that. Okay, I'm mildly annoyed, but at least I won't have to deal with her anymore.

Off to the waiting room. This place is packed, and apparently just about every person I talked to had some kind of "personal" pit bull story. I wish I could say I was exaggerating, but no less than 3 presumably unrelated people all told me about how their close friend's 3 year old daughter had her face ripped off by the dog her father had for years. You know, the same exact story that was in the news last year. Apparently, that was one incredibly popular family. At least I had a good laugh at those people when I tell them I had heard about that story too, then pulled it up on my phone and noted the part where it said the dog wasn't being properly cared for and happened nowhere near here. Seriously, people, please keep claiming that some popular story you half-read once personally happened to you, because I love calling you out on that nonsense, not to mention it's a great indicator of when the person you're talking to has nothing of value to say. I also heard just about every untrue myth about them, like how their jaws lock, how they're so much stronger than other dogs, the really bizarre one about their chainsaw mouth, etc. I'd estimate at least 15 people all had some version of what I've described, or tried more direct approaches like how I should be terrified and ashamed of myself for letting my daughter go within ten miles of any pit bull. Then I finally get to the doctor. At the very least, he was unique. He walked into the room and went straight into lecture mode with a condescending tone about how I'm stupid because I actually got in the middle of the fight, I should just buy pepper spray or something, what was I thinking, blah blah blah. I wanted to tear into him, but I was worried I might still need this douchebag to work on my hand, so all I say is "Look. I'm not twelve, and I'm here for an X-ray, not a lecture and some useless tips. You just stick to the doctor part, I'll take care of my life." Things actually went fairly quickly and painlessly after that, and it turns out my finger isn't broken, so hooray.

There is a silver lining, though. The big green container of Vicodin they inexplicably gave me despite telling them my pain level fluctuated between 0 and 1. Hell, the damn thing's still numb.

Swah

Meet us @ IRC! Join the channel #wtfcom
Staff
Any creature would be vicious if it wasn't brought up properly. Humans have that more significant than dogs.

There's one too many prejudices about certain types of dogs...

• 1Agree
Reactions: Loki-In-A-Box

-=iNsANe=-ADJ

I once ate broccoli
Pitbulls are among the sweetest dogs I've ever met. Dalmatians, instead, are sick bastards. Fuck Disney.

People must understand that it's the owner's fault.

• 1Agree

Quint

Banned - What an Asshat!
Any creature would be vicious if it wasn't brought up properly.
There are situations where even normally well behaved dogs act out against people. One common scenario is a dog outside unattended, roaming through unfamiliar settings. Some dogs are great with adults but untrusting of children, etc.

Humans have that more significant than dogs.
:rolleyes:

I think you watched Fern Gully too many times as a kid.

• 1Like
Reactions: skroo'd

Masquerade

Banned - What an Asshat!
:rolleyes:

I think you watched Fern Gully too many times as a kid.
I especially liked the part where they were skipping along the puddles, coloring them red and blue as they spirited from surface to surface.

Nailbomb, what're you gonna do with the dog now? Or was the fight an isolated incident?

• 1Like

Dark Fader

[]D [] []V[] []D
lol @ thread title.

I'm fully on board with Rott's are how they are brought up...just like any dog.
Though I typically stick with Weimareimers and black labs, best dogs ever.

• 1Like

jujubee

~what it is~
Premium
I went to a friend's recently, we ended up at some friend of hers playing some cards and they had the sweetest, cutest, wiggliest huge pit, omg, I loved her! Then I pet her cause she was all over me. She had to be a hundred lbs, she jumped up at me 'n split my lip, I bled all night, walked around with a fat lip for days:p, haha!

danNJ732

Bitter and Morbid
I went to a friend's recently, we ended up at some friend of hers playing some cards and they had the sweetest, cutest, wiggliest huge pit, omg, I loved her! Then I pet her cause she was all over me. She had to be a hundred lbs, she jumped up at me 'n split my lip, I bled all night, walked around with a fat lip for days:p, haha!
see right there, vicious attacks from pitbulls....
kidding, they're spectacular pets. Bad dogs are raised, not born. As is any human can choose to be ignorant or do some research on anything.

steelasp

poontangwrecker
A friend of mine who visited a few weeks ago broke up a pitbull fight, and recieved simmilar injuries to the ones you are describing. We were at a crowded bar, having many drinks, when suddenly, there was a commotion across the street. We go to look, and there's a big pit that has a firm grip on a smaller one's face. My friend, who is a very good, smart person, but often acts impulsively without thinking things through, took it upon himself to stop this brutal, one sided fight. He threw his drink on them, smacked the big dog on the ass, and shouted loudly. When nothing worked, he got down on the ground, and grabbed the big dog by the jaws, and pried him off the other dog. He got both his hands chewed up pretty good by both dogs, but he succeeded in stoping the fight.

The big dog looked up at him, then walked over to his master who was leaning against a wall watching the whole thing go down. My friend walked over to the man, showed him his hands, and told him his dog was beautiful, but he should take better care of it. Dude wouldn't even look him in the eye. Just nodded. It was clear the fight was instigated intentionally by the dog owner.

Then we went to the hospital. My stubborn friend wouldn't even let me drive. He got ten stitches all together, and dozens of small puncture wounds. It kinda ruined the last few days of his vacation.

I don't buy into all the negative propaganda about pits, but I will say, every time I've seen pitbulls fight, they're way harder to stop than other dog fights. A pit may be sweet, but once it engages in a fight, it will ignore everything else. In a culture where cock fighting is still legal, dog fighting (which is not) is very common. I don't care whether the social stigma about pit bulls is true or not, I still would not have one in my house under any circumstances. ESPECIALLY a rescued pit bull.

quarterbunny

Redneck Einstein
If you study the national records of dog bites in the US, the number one offender breed is the Labrador Retriever, NOT the Pit Bull, or even Pit mixes.
Most problems with dogs result from the humans around them, or social issues with other dogs, and have absolutely nothing to do with the breed. I grew up with a Pit named Guy, and he was the most gentle, fun, loving creature I ever knew, and I would grab at his ears, get right in his face, etc. He saved my life one time when I was fixing the fence on the ranch, and a pack of javelina attacked me, he held them off me long enough for me to climb a tree, and fought them all...he survived, and I nursed his wounds.
The only dog that ever bit me, and even once bit my son in the face was a cairn terrier *the same breed as toto from wizard of Oz*

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Until you're the one treating said children on a weekly basis, your dog would "never do that."
Maybe I'm misinterpreting this, but I never said anything like that. Any dog is capable of it. What I have a problem with are the people who think pit bulls are different from any other breed.

quarterbunny

Redneck Einstein
What pisses me off is the proliferation of breed bans. When these laws sate things like "obvious pit bulls, or pit bull mixes" and then you hear the tragic consequences, *a man visiting his family in denver, brought his registered public service dog with him, the dog was a boxer/lab mix, the dog catcher saw the dog in the back yard, and confiscated the dog, having it immediately euthanized* These bans are stupid, people whom have no training in breed identification in the first place, are enforcing a law that is snatching up dogs that have never harmed a human or animal simply based on breed.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Nailbomb, what're you gonna do with the dog now? Or was the fight an isolated incident?
I haven't quite decided yet. I've had experience acclimatizing dogs before, but this one has been around other dogs her whole life, and with Dozer is the first time she's been the aggressor. I'm still doing some research, but if I do have to give her up, I'll find a rescue program and let them know she needs to be an only pet. She might not be the prettiest of the bunch, but I'll bet few people can resist an oinking dog that likes to cuddle.

quarterbunny

Redneck Einstein
Sounds like when she came into your house, she is used to being a dominant dog. Establish your own dominance in the house, and she should come around, I really like Cesar Milan's training methods *the dog whisperer guy* He does a lot of work with Pit Bulls, and also I like that he doesn't humanize the animal.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Sounds like when she came into your house, she is used to being a dominant dog. Establish your own dominance in the house, and she should come around, I really like Cesar Milan's training methods *the dog whisperer guy* He does a lot of work with Pit Bulls, and also I like that he doesn't humanize the animal.
Actually, she was on the bottom rung. Like I said, I've had some experience acclimatizing pit bulls before, but this is a bit different than what I'm used to.