WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Tomato, Fruit or Vegetable?

is the Tomato a Fruit or Vegetable?

• fruit

Votes: 13 76.5%
  • vegetable

Votes: 4 23.5%

• Total voters

dookie

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato

Botanically speaking a tomato is the ovary, together with its seeds, of a flowering plant. This would mean that technically it would be considered a fruit. However, speaking from a culinary perspective the tomato is typically served as or part of a main course of a meal meaning that it would be considered a vegetable. This argument has led to actual legal implications in the United States. In 1887, U.S. tariff laws which imposed a duty on vegetables but not on fruits caused the tomato's status to become a matter of legal importance. The U.S. Supreme Court settled this controversy in 1893, declaring that the tomato is a vegetable, along with cucumbers, squashes, beans, and peas, using the popular definition which classifies vegetables by use: they are generally served with dinner and not dessert. The case is known as Nix v. Hedden.

In concordance with this classification, the tomato is proposed to be the state vegetable of New Jersey.

Well, saying a tomato is a vegetable, simple because of the way it's served is some trendy bullshit.

"Sir, this tomato has all the specifications of a vegetable, sir!"

"Maggot! This tomato is NOT served with deseeeeert! Therefore it - is - a - VEGETABLE! Drop and gimme fifty!"

</Full Metal Jacket scene that got cut>

i voted fruit, only cause i'm a smarty pants. didn't know the seed thing, think i heard it some where. lol@insanitee, i got it and giggled.

F*ckyou_Payme

Dead and Bloated
dookie said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato

Botanically speaking a tomato is the ovary, together with its seeds, of a flowering plant. This would mean that technically it would be considered a fruit. However, speaking from a culinary perspective the tomato is typically served as or part of a main course of a meal meaning that it would be considered a vegetable. This argument has led to actual legal implications in the United States. In 1887, U.S. tariff laws which imposed a duty on vegetables but not on fruits caused the tomato's status to become a matter of legal importance. The U.S. Supreme Court settled this controversy in 1893, declaring that the tomato is a vegetable, along with cucumbers, squashes, beans, and peas, using the popular definition which classifies vegetables by use: they are generally served with dinner and not dessert. The case is known as Nix v. Hedden.

In concordance with this classification, the tomato is proposed to be the state vegetable of New Jersey.
intresting... but maybe the tomato isnt a fruit or veggie... maybe it is an animal... that will one day rule us all.

tkme2thebedroom

standard people-hater
F*ckyou_Payme said:
intresting... but maybe the tomato isnt a fruit or veggie... maybe it is an animal... that will one day rule us all.
You're right! I mean...if you leave a tomato out for a really long time it even grows hair! Some call it mold, but I say it's a mamalian-type alien come to spy on us all.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
The tomato is a fruit because it has seeds, but it is cheaper to package it as a vegetable. So it's sold as a vegetable. :thumbsup:

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
F*ckyou_Payme said:
Hence the Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Well done sir!

tkme2thebedroom said:
It's a vegetable by taste, but still a fruit. Are there any sweet veggies? I can't think of any.

There are sweet tomatos. :thumbsup:

Quite welcome.

Then again, I don't understand why people put sweet salad dressing on their salads.

That's weird to me. :happysad:

dookie

OMGWTFBBQ!!1!
why is that weird?

you put ketchup/tomato sauce on pies and hot dogs, why not do a similar thing with salads?

i find it really weird that croutons are in some salads, even weirder are bits of corn. why bother dudes?