WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Train Plunges Into River in India; 77 Dead

Slacker

Postaholic
3,735
139
127
#1
VELIGONDA, India (AP) - A passenger train plunged into a rain-swollen river in southern India early Saturday, killing at least 77 people and trapping dozens more inside the derailed cars, officials said.

About 100 injured passengers were rescued from the coaches, which derailed after floods washed away the tracks in the town of Veligonda in Andhra Pradesh state.

Dozens more people remained trapped inside the train cars as soldiers and local villagers used gas torches to cut open the cars, at least five of which were lying on their side, partially submerged in water. One of the coaches was resting on top of another.

Army divers and local volunteers swam out to the wreckage to help pull out the injured. Other soldiers, lowered onto the roof of the coaches by helicopter to help in the rescue effort as people inside were hanging on to luggage racks and ceiling fans.

The train - an engine and 17 coaches - hit a portion of track washed away by flash floods and seven of the cars derailed, officials said.


They were a sleep when this happened. There is also a bunch of people still trapped. It is said in the link that it was raining for over a week and more than 90 other people have died because of drowning.

http://cnn.netscape.cnn.com/news/story.jsp?idq=/ff/story/0001%2F20051029%2F0853388815.htm&sc=1104&photoid=20051029HYD108&floc=NW_1-T
 

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
4,126
0
0
#2
bad shit, even if it happens often there..
i've been on the trains in india.. not at all like any train in europe or north america.. really crowded, people sleeping in the aisles, in the luggage racks, in the doorway, on the roof sometimes.. i slept under the seats once.. on all the spit and ash.. it's just the norm there and it becomes your norm..

they would not have stood a chance..
 

Slacker

Postaholic
3,735
139
127
#3
Did you see the picture? The train track looked like it was engulfed in water.
 

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
4,126
0
0
#4
Linksy said:
Did you see the picture? The train track looked like it was engulfed in water.
it's been washed out.. when it rains there it rains.
 

Slacker

Postaholic
3,735
139
127
#5
void said:
it's been washed out.. when it rains there it rains.
They should build them better But they probally don't have the money to.
 

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
4,126
0
0
#6
indian railways are a huge operation, they were/are the world's largest employer (maybe superceded by walmart?), they have a very high percentage of train use, the country depends on the network.. so it is well maintained and heavily invested in.. i think it's simply a case of when nature dictates there is nothing you can do to stop the water.. they have had so much experience in this sort of problem that i don't think they would still run trains on tracks that were prone to being washed out either.. this was most likely a flash flood and thus a blameless tragedy..

again, bad shit.
 

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
1,415
0
0
#7
void said:
bad shit, even if it happens often there..
i've been on the trains in india.. not at all like any train in europe or north america.. really crowded, people sleeping in the aisles, in the luggage racks, in the doorway, on the roof sometimes.. i slept under the seats once.. on all the spit and ash.. it's just the norm there and it becomes your norm..

they would not have stood a chance..

how long ago was this? I have lived in india for 5 years(till one year ago) and the train system has improved a lot. It is Crowded but people arent allowed on the roofs anymore.
 

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
4,126
0
0
#8
skullmaster said:
how long ago was this? I have lived in india for 5 years(till one year ago) and the train system has improved a lot. It is Crowded but people arent allowed on the roofs anymore.
1999.

but i have a question for you. last night you made a thread about being drunk, why did you mention me?
 

Slacker

Postaholic
3,735
139
127
#9
void said:
indian railways are a huge operation, they were/are the world's largest employer (maybe superceded by walmart?), they have a very high percentage of train use, the country depends on the network.. so it is well maintained and heavily invested in.. i think it's simply a case of when nature dictates there is nothing you can do to stop the water.. they have had so much experience in this sort of problem that i don't think they would still run trains on tracks that were prone to being washed out either.. this was most likely a flash flood and thus a blameless tragedy..

again, bad shit.
If they were/are then why aren't there systems good? They would of thought about the future and about the weather.


void said:
1999.

but i have a question for you. last night you made a thread about being drunk, why did you mention me?
Off topic just PM him.
 

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
4,126
0
0
#10
Linksy said:
If they were/are then why aren't there systems good? They would of thought about the future and about the weather.
they do think about the weather, it's just that the weather is unpredictable.. this pic is from italy this week.. doesn't matter how much money you throw at infrastructure it will fail if the weather is bad enough..

 

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
7,529
28
142
#11
Linksy said:
If they were/are then why aren't there systems good? They would of thought about the future and about the weather.
Dude, you live in Idaho. How many roads are washed out every year? It's not for lack of planning that a mudslide takes out a road... or a house. When the water comes, there's nothing anyone can do to stop it. With enough water in the ground the side of a mountain could have slid off, or in this case the ground became so water logged that it couldn't support it's own weight much less a train.
 

skully

GO BEARS!!!!
1,415
0
0
#12
void said:
1999.

but i have a question for you. last night you made a thread about being drunk, why did you mention me?
i have no idea, but i guess we were talking about vodka in the "WHATS IN YOU FRIDGE" thread.so i just conneceted vodka to you LOL!
:D

hmm funny things happen when you are drunk.
 
5
0
0
#13
My family is from around that area and things like this happen all the time. You become utterly desensitized to it. This disaster could have been avoided but I doubt the corrupt government would have taken the necessary steps.