WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Trapped inside the box...

Mari

Hoodrat
Okay if you have ever taken a US History class in your life you can follow me on this one.... If not shut the hell up and listen... Our country was founded by puritan assholes with sticks shoved up their asses. This is why we have so much problems in this country. All of it can go relate to this statement. Let's see here....Bush got re-elected...and you guys were surprised? The fundamentalist christian conservative bastards make up the majority of the people who now vote.... You may wonder what do I have against christianity? They do a lot of good in the community.... Excuse me, but I have no respect for a religion that does not respect the religious choices of other people... What other religion do you know of that hears that a person doesn't believe the same way that they do and rushes to try and change their mind... Other religions mind there own damn business, but christianity does not. They are freakin' brainwashed at birth and storm freakin' third world countries where people are most vulnerable to their words. I find that so wrong it makes me sick... Christians move like locusts devouring the free will of people in this world. I am not against the morality they preach but I am against the brainwashing of innocent children. Let me explain... From birth they are told how to think and what to believe. They never question it because if they do it is considered blasphemy. Week by week they go to church with their mind's trapped inside the box and they don't even know it. They go to church each week so that they are not aloud time to think on their own about what they could learn outside of what they know and believe. Without the narrowmindedness your mind is truly free. Everyone is so trapped inside of their beliefs because of the fear instilled in them from birth. I'm not saying go do whatever you want and there is no god. What I am saying is that if you weren't so worried about getting into heaven and racking up points with god you could truly live for him the way you were ment to by actually living by the morals you learned. You aren't living if you are constantly worried about sinning and judging those who sin. That is all I have to say for now... Forgive me if i went off topic....I just go where the rant leads me...

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Mari said:
Christians move like locusts devouring the free will of people in this world.
Isn't that one of the plagues that was sent down on the Egyptians?

Best analogy ever. :thumbsup:

Whoa that was hard to read.

But all too true. I know from personal experience.:happysad:

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Unforgiven said:
Whoa that was hard to read.

But all too true. I know from personal experience.:happysad:
Haha yeah, this girl's got one hell of a talent for ranting.

Jung

???
Premium
Hi, please look into paragraphs.

That said, I agree with you on your basic summation of religion. You can have the rest of the inflammatory nonsense though.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
Who is they?

Lot's of generalizations here.

Do you hate all the religions equally?

lol christians. ever have those people come up to ur door and ask u, "if u die are u sure you would goto heaven right now?" as if they know any better. then they give u their little pamphlet abou their church and wat not.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
I personally, am a Christian, and feel no need to 'save' those who don't want to be saved or preach to those who don't believe what I belive. Hell, I wouldn't preach to someone who WANTED to be preached to. I believe what I want to, and dont' tell others what to believe because, I respect and want that same courtsey afforded me. True the Christian faith is full of hypocrites, but so are other religeons, and faiths, even the non-religeous types are oftentimes hypocrites. It's just the nature of man. Not of a particular religeon.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Religion is not in itself bad.Christianity for example is important for some people, it gives them sense of security and possibly frees them of their actions.. It sounds like a good idea that someone died for your sins and therefore you like to believe it. If it helps you to reach closer to your ideal-me you most likely go with it.

I. Am an atheist.

In my opinion the preaching to others is just because it makes you feel smart, when you convert soneone they look a little up to you and you get to say "I was right". It is nice. To be right.
It goes the same way as any ideology, it frees you of thinking. The nazis need not think, htey could, but they wouldn´t because it was already all there in a plate, and everyone else was doing it. If others think it, it must be right, yeah?
I am not saying christians dont think, it is just that under their every thought is the perverted basic principle of "God" and his will. So they make everything fit to this frame; "god put the dinosaurs there to test us" or "it must be gods will".

I will now try and make a point of what good is in religions. (mindflow)
It helps people from mental problems. They feel better about theirselves when they think the world is not as cold as it seems, or that things happen for a greater cause. They dont have to think why things are what and how they are. It gives a false sense of security.
Also in religions there often is a part that says humans are the jewel of the universe which feels nice. Written and made up by humans, but still. it is nice to think so.
Also it is good that religions give base to the moral and ethic principles of our societies. "Fear of God" is good if it prevents people from raiping, murdering and waging war.

dirtlover

The best and the worst
RetArt said:
It helps people from mental problems. They feel better about theirselves when they think the world is not as cold as it seems, or that things happen for a greater cause. They dont have to think why things are what and how they are. It gives a false sense of security.
.. and makes the weak (mentally) stronger. whcih usually is not such a good thing because they think they are stronger but in reality if something bad happens the reaction is allways the same.. there's just god to blame(it's gods will)

RetArt said:
Also it is good that religions give base to the moral and ethic principles of our societies. "Fear of God" is good if it prevents people from raiping, murdering and waging war.
it should, by all logic, it should. but i don't really see that happening.
(in finland some time ago (2-3 yrs probably) there was a series of child abuse by priests etc
and bush... doesn't really believe in god. or does in his own twisted way [don't get me wrong, i'm not trying to tell you how to believe in god, i'm an atheist also])

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
yes. It does work in THEORY. The crusades were a good example of the righteousness of it all.
Then there are these examples of child abuse and such.. If this priest_child-abuse -issue is cut down to pieces it quite easily can be seen as a reaction to the celibacy. (although there is no celibacy voe in lutherian church which makes this Finland-issue a strange one, it can be seen as mentally and ethically challenged individuals insane actions). Freud would explain this all trough the basic-needs. I would say it culminates the problem of church oppressing and controlling its staffs lives. priests too are humans. and some humans are insane

Child molestation though is inhumane whether it is by a priest or a convicted criminal.

And to the other quote you answered, yes. It is hard when the cloud-castles collapse and human wakes to see that is all in your own hands. Some cant handle this. This can lead to mental problems or adapting another ideology that seems fit. religion is a great ideology to adapt, it is substantially easy.

of course I am merely a hypocrite because I still am a member of the Lutherian church (as almost 85 of finns) eventhough I do not believe in it, but I see the idea of paying taxes to the church a good deed, as long as it can help other humanbeings.
and then of course it is nice to have a traditional church-wedding (on a selfish note)
:)

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
Good post Mari, all too true.

Some of us are too fat.. er Big to fit in a Box. That's me.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
I believe in God, and that God is in Miami! Call me crazy if you want. But that's the truth.