WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Turn o CBS - The 20 Year old Media v. Video Game War is back, this time on GTA

Descent

Hella Constipated
I just caught the end of this and I'm wondering why it's still going on.

They've lost 20 years in a row now - Ever since the NES launched here it's been an on and off issue.

They fucking lose every time! And every time, it's the same "experts" who address psychological issues.

There was a "psychologist" who said that "startling new research has displayed that teenage minds are still dveloping."

Well no shit! But you never stated a link!

This has really killed my good mood, becuase I found my true love tonight. My friend's sister - 19, exact clone of me. Total Sega fanatic. All we did was talk about Internet culture, Genesis gaming, and sick humor for three hours. She knew every obscure reference I said from YTMND sites to Sonic CD lyrics to 4Chan running gags and political satire.

And she really seems to like me too.

And I never wanted my high to die tonight, but it did. It's always the same bullshit spews from the same bullshit people who abuse their Ph.D's to impose their morals.

Here are notes on what the "victim" said - he's a true redneck cop.

"Victim: :rolleyes:"
Name :Steve Strictlin - Respect, southerner, etc. Market people to kill cops - thinks it's okay

Discuss.

It's just fucktards from the south that have no idea of how the human mind works. The people that kill others clearly have disturbed minds, unless they kill out of self defense, and these idiots cannot grasp that. They're probably southern babtists. :rolleyes:

gummi_

Tenderony
I think something Junglizm said in another thread applies quite well here... i dont know / cant really be bothered quoting from the other thread, but im pretty sure i can get the idea across...

"Games are meant to be played for entertainment, nothing else. Dont play a game if you dont enjoy it, or go find something else to do for a while when you feel yourself getting 'emotionally' involved in a game."

Blaming games for someone's actions is just stupid... the only way this could be seen as a vaguely valid argument in my opinion (and please, tell me if you disagree!) is when that person has a problem, mentally?, where they cannot differ reality from fiction. If that was the case and they played / saw games being played, then maybe it was the games fault. Maybe they were just a homocidal maniac at heart. Maybe i eat Milo on toast.

But yeah, games are for entertainment. You play a game to escape reality for a few minutes or whatever, or to just bang around having fun for a while. Saying that it makes people violent just doesnt wash with me... it would take a person who is seriously socially deprived for a game to have an immense pyschological effect on them.

rcarhar

There goes a clever gent
lol, Just got back from playing San Andreas. Had a really good time, too. Still don't want to shoot anyone or buy a hooker though.

Descent said:
This has really killed my good mood, becuase I found my true love tonight. My friend's sister - 19, exact clone of me. Total Sega fanatic. All we did was talk about Internet culture, Genesis gaming, and sick humor for three hours. She knew every obscure reference I said from YTMND sites to Sonic CD lyrics to 4Chan running gags and political satire.

And she really seems to like me too.

And I never wanted my high to die tonight, but it did.
Descent, SERIOUSLY. Try not to bring every aspect of your technology obsessed life into every post and maybe people will respect you. You alone have turned me from Genesis Supremist, to an anti-Genesis crusader. Please, just the shut up about it.

P.S. I've tried not to make this into a flame, I really have.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Magic Hobo said:
Descent, SERIOUSLY. Try not to bring every aspect of your technology obsessed life into every post and maybe people will respect you. You alone have turned me from Genesis Supremist, to an anti-Genesis crusader. Please, just the shut up about it.

P.S. I've tried not to make this into a flame, I really have.
Internet - Don't care what you think in real life. Although switching platforms because of one user is muy gay.

gummi said:
I think something Junglizm said in another thread applies quite well here... i dont know / cant really be bothered quoting from the other thread, but im pretty sure i can get the idea across...

"Games are meant to be played for entertainment, nothing else. Dont play a game if you dont enjoy it, or go find something else to do for a while when you feel yourself getting 'emotionally' involved in a game."

Blaming games for someone's actions is just stupid... the only way this could be seen as a vaguely valid argument in my opinion (and please, tell me if you disagree!) is when that person has a problem, mentally?, where they cannot differ reality from fiction. If that was the case and they played / saw games being played, then maybe it was the games fault. Maybe they were just a homocidal maniac at heart. Maybe i eat Milo on toast.

But yeah, games are for entertainment. You play a game to escape reality for a few minutes or whatever, or to just bang around having fun for a while. Saying that it makes people violent just doesnt wash with me... it would take a person who is seriously socially deprived for a game to have an immense pyschological effect on them.
It has happened every time there's a new form of media. Movies in the 20's, rock and roll in the 40's, comics in the 50's, when MAD Magazine founder William Gaines was brought before congress, and
now video games from the 80's on. There was worry in the 70's when Death Race was released in arcades, but it stooped off to nearly zero percent shortly after because Atari, Mattel, and Coleco were relatively tame.

The thing is, video games have been the blame for years because we've hit a technological wall - we've gone from still images to moving images to fully interactive media. There's not much more we can do from here - Virtual Reality is basically the same thing but more immersive.

What's very scary is the fact that Congressional hearings are so one sided that nobody can get a point across. Factor in that the publicity centering around the "punished" software titles accelerates sales to phenomonal leevels. When the 1993 hearings were run on C-Span Sega's sales skyrocket because they had the "hottest violent" titles like
Mortal Kombat and Night Trap. Night Trap recieved a huge blasting from Congress, but their plan was idiotic because not only was it a digitized FMV game, but the fact that it ran on the Sega CD, which nobody really ever owned, accelerated Sega CD sales and night trap sold 50,000 copies in one week at certain chains. The prior install base was 250,000 units - food for thought. It also preserved the game in history, because like most Sega CD titles, nobody knew or cared. But it was a great game, and with awareness come knowledge. So not only did they fail from wiping the game from the map but they ended up getting it cemented in history.

Congress looks to blame because addressing the real issue is - well, too much work. Tax dollars, reform, it doesn't matter. The media milks it for all it's worth too no matter what the blame is. Even if you are not a gamer it's pretty sickening to read the transcripts - it's absolutely vicious and scary to know we have people like this in Congress who falsify data with government psychologists to impose their morals. Senator David Grossman is so disturbing to read up on he makes Lieberman look like Howard Stern. It's really a conspiracy.

I switched alliances because you scare me Descent. I literally fear video games now because of me short time talking to you. I'm afraid of becoming even remotely like you. Hell, fuck video games. I'm with CBS now.

Has anyone else thought of what Descent and his 'girlfriend' talking might actually look like?

Descent: So when you get to Lvl. 36, you have to do it in hexagonal order.
Shescent: Oh snap!
Descent: ***** stole my bike!
Shecent: R-O-F-L
Descent: Copter!
Shescent: Dude, you look like Linus Torvalds! I like that in a man, *slysmile*!
Descent: *Holy shit! This is what being 'cool' is like!*

And for the record...

Linus Torvalds (Creator of Linux):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/thumb/7/79/180px-Linus_Torvalds_heute.jpg

Descent (Creator of the Sonic Ejaculation):

Hell, I'm scared that I was able to pull all of those internet references out of my ass. I hope none of you other than Descent understood it.