WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

tv cabinet with a new purpose in life

morelos

lexicon incognito
so i had this console television credenza and i felt as though i wasn't giving it justice by using it as a big block that holds stuff on top of it.

basically, it's a 3-foot-tall cabinet that houses a television and has space for a speaker.

at the same time, i had three servers, a modified UPS, a cable modem and hub in a room just strewn about. they were covered in dust and stacked up in such a way that they inadvertently resembled a tetris piece (the L-shaped one).

so i decided i would rip the archaic television out of the tv credenza and turn it into a server rack. tell me what you guys think.

http://www.fruzzetti.org:8080/credenza

a little description: i made cat-5e cables the exact right length for the job, and yes, those are two leading edge (bought by packard bell who was bought by compaq) 486 PC cases. one IS a 486, the other is a pentium-class web server. you can guess by the fan i installed which is which. i was really happy with how this whole project turned out. if you guys have any responses or ideas on it, i would love to hear them!

thanks so much for your comments.

~ dan ~

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
nice.

One thing I could recomend is cooling fan(s) you need to make sure that heated air being expelled from the PC's/servers does not linger in the cabinet. Otherwise it just gets sucked back into the computer enclosures.

Important: looking @ your setup, put the fan(s) on the back faqcing out near the top of the cab.

morelos

lexicon incognito
maxpower: i've been monitoring the ambient temperature in there constantly since setting it up. it seems as though everything is ok; you can't tell from the photos but the cabinet is vented underneath, and the PS fans from the computers are well enough exposed to where air seems to be circulating at least acceptably well.

what i really wanted to do for flow-through is put in some baffling along with an intake fan in the front at the bottom and an exhaust fan at the top in the back to kind of guide the air through the vents in the individual machines, but i think it's unnecessary. oh, also here is what i did to that top machine since i didn't like the way it was generating so much heat.

thanks for the comment, though. i will continue babysitting the rack as the days get hotter and i'll see if it stays cool enough for me to tolerate.

~ dan ~

PS - i really feel like i stole bose's acoustic wave guide technology that they used in the 'wave radio' for that baffling, but whatever; it seems to distribute heat through that machine really well.