WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

tv for a computer monitor?

swizeguy

How dare you!?
Hey just figured id shoot out a question... Does anyone know of a way to hook up a flat screen tv up to a normal computer. I need to get a new monitor cuz mine is crapping out so i was wondring if there were a way to hook it up to my tv.
Anyone know a way?

tzedek

Original Member
the quality is really bad. you can just get a video card with a tv out

FUCKORBEFUCKED

Pissed off since birth
tzedek said:
the quality is really bad. you can just get a video card with a tv out
Tzedek, idea is the better choice.

VGA to TV converter all run over $100 and quality is more than likely to be shitty.

Jung

???
Premium
FUCKORBEFUCKED said:
quality is more than likely to be shitty.
The quality will definitely be shitty. TVs have much larger pixels than computers, everything will look stretched and washed out. The resolution will be way off, text will be unreadable, and colors will look pale and shitty.

It's cool to do for a little while, to play a game or something, but you're not going to be able to use it as a permanent monitor.

You might want to check your video card though, some have S-video or RCA out.

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
oh darn! not what i thought this thread was about, but-

you know what would be really cool? if i could get a tv & computer monitor in one, with picture in picture! *gush*

i don't know if they make it, but if they do, it's probably like a million bucks. :(

Descent

Hella Constipated
They did that on "The Screen Savers" on TechTV once, but it ran through S-Video :(.

It was a Samsung.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Well, a TV screen working as a monitor is gonna suck. Which has already been covered... it'll just look like shit.

On the other hand, a standard CRT monitor shouldn't be all that much money.
I know you can get a cheap ass 17 inch CRT for 100$ or so.

Hell, at zipzoomfly they've got a 17 inch Acer flat pannel for something like $210 with shipping included.

Frankly, it'd be cheaper and easier to just by a new monitor.

swizeguy

How dare you!?
Hypertron said:
alot of newer tv's now come with DVI or S-Video imput so find one with that.
yeah the flat screen i just bought has one and my video card has an s-video but i dont knowif its an out cuz when i hooked it up it didnt seem to work so i dunno?

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
you have to change the settings in your video card to not work for a monitor but for the aux device.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Eclipsed said:
You can't use your TV for a monitor, it won't be compatible with the Internet.
I do hope you were trying to be funny in that post...

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
Descent said:
They did that on "The Screen Savers" on TechTV once, but it ran through S-Video :(.

It was a Samsung.
Samsung Syncmaster 930mp. It has built in TV and FM radio tuners and can be connected thru DVI. Of course it's about $700. Sony MFM-HT75W can also be used as a hybrid TV/Monitor. It's about $600. So, yeah an ATI all-in wonder would be way cheaper.

i got this westinghouse 17" flat panel that's a computer monitor and TV in one...about 350 dollars...it's really nice...

jamesp

In Memory...
Im using a Samsung SyncMaster 997DF through DVI and my video card (NVidia 6800 Ultra) has S-Video out which runs to my TV. Im using them like dual monitors, but I only play my movies/tv shows through the TV, because, as it has already been stated, looks pretty bad.

pyrodude

The real man's bitch
Do not use a regular CRT TV as a monitor. It sucks. Also don't use a PS2 or something similar to go on the internet. It looks as if your looking at a large print book through a magnifying glass.