WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

two questions about american males

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
1. why do they wear two t.shirts, even when it's 105 degrees? if the second t.shirt is underwear then what is the outer one? has this been going on for a long time? i seem to recall that james dean only wore one t.shirt..
2. it's well known that american males are very hygenic, and that a lot of them shave.. everywhere.. backs, chests etc.. so why do they leave the hair under the arms? is it to not appear feminine or is it more hygenic?

background, i live in america, i'm english.. none of my american friends can answer these points.. they just say 'that it's just like that'.. i ask because it seems to be a local trait and things like that interest me.. here we have italian americans etc that if they were raised in europe would be hairier than a dog and would walk around in an open necked shirt, but instead they are completely shaven and wearing two shirts so you can't even see any of that unhairy chest.
is it just a trend do you think?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Two shirts: Because someone in fassion said it's cool. The under shirt is mostly a sweat catcher so the outer shirt gets no wet spots.

Shaving: Guys shave their backs because hairy backs are supposed to be nasty. Some guys shave their chests because some women like that look.. accentuates the muscles or something. Guys save their units to make them look bigger, because their girl won't give them head otherwise or because they like it that way. Nobody cares about a guys pits however so few bother to shave there.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
void said:
1. why do they wear two t.shirts, even when it's 105 degrees? if the second t.shirt is underwear then what is the outer one? has this been going on for a long time? i seem to recall that james dean only wore one t.shirt..
2. it's well known that american males are very hygenic, and that a lot of them shave.. everywhere.. backs, chests etc.. so why do they leave the hair under the arms? is it to not appear feminine or is it more hygenic?
I have no idea, around here most guys just where an A-shirt and jeans, or t-shirt and jacket in the winter.

I dont know about hair shvaing, that must be a city thing. I like real men, not pansy butts.

Sektor

Particinator
Two T-shirts is more comfortable than one, no matter how hot it is. I can't imagine wearing just one shirt.

I really can't answer the second question...

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Sektor said:
Two T-shirts is more comfortable than one, no matter how hot it is. I can't imagine wearing just one shirt.

I really can't answer the second question...
no disrespect but really? what is the diiference for you if you wear one t.shirt? does it feel cheap, icky, sweaty, or just sufficiently different that people would laugh at you?
i changed a few dressing habits when i moved from london to nashville.. lol, and not just the speedos.. but i can't wear two t.shirts.. it's like wearing two pairs of socks.. i know, i need to get over it.. but i am interested in this..

Sektor

Particinator
Eh... I don't know, I really couldn't tell you, haha. I have worn one shirt before (I woke up late and had to throw something on quick), and it just didn't feel right. Felt like I wasn't wearing a shirt.

It's been a habit to wear two shirts as long as I can remember, though.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Unforgiven said:
Friends don't let friends wear speedos.

Ever.
it was a joke, to reinforce the sentiment that european men dress like oddballs and defuse any supposed superiority that was possibly being perceived as being projected from me, the owner of a sum total of zero speedo's..

good advice though.. :thumbsup:

polaris_nine

Banned - What an Asshat!
The only reason I can think of for the two t-shirts is if your wearing a white outer tee, then you wear a second underneath to reinforce the whiteness. Some girls do this too so their bras dont show through.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
the 2 t-shirt thing is silly. as far as i remember it started in the 90s when "punk rock" started to become popular. however, i could be completely wrong

umm..... they are called norms. not all location of america have people wearing two shirts. as for the shaving the same thing applies

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
I wear a-shirts or wife-beaters under my t-shirts, only when it's on the verge of being too cold for a t-shirt alone and not warm enough to justify long sleeves.

And I barely shave my face. It takes too much time, and I'm not really looking to impress anyone. The world won't end.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
WizardlyFriend said:
the 2 t-shirt thing is silly. as far as i remember it started in the 90s when "punk rock" started to become popular. however, i could be completely wrong
oh ok, i assumed it was a hip hop thing.. i think i saw a black dude once in memphis with about nine t.shirts on (and (obviously) jeans that had fell down..) and i thought he was just taking it a step further, although maybe he was cold, i didn't ask, he looked a bit unapproachable..
so '90s punk was too blame.. like green day? didn't they wear two polo shirts to mimick jocks/preps..?

man, someone should write a book on the evolution of american underwear.. or not.

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
im refferring ot the look where you wear the collared shirt or the rugby shirt under a t-shirt

MetalHead

Clitpickle
Well... I don't know about everyone else, but I have worn 2 shirts for a long time. In my defense though, that second shirt comes in handy if you get hot or do something athletic and don't want to smell like a gym sock. Helps trap the BO. :thumbsup:

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
void said:
Extra warmth during the winter, reduces visible pit stains during the summer. Also, when wearing dark shirts in the summer, the undershirt acts as a cover between the heat brought in from the color and your skin, so in addition to keeping you warm, it keeps you cool.

As for how it started, people have been wearing multiple shirts for centuries. :rolleyes:

void said:
Hell if I know. All I shave is my face and my chest.

Janglenut

Particinator
Erm. Around here the only people that wear two shirts are black people and wiggers, not to be racial but it seems a hiphop look.

It has no benefits to it.

ericman123

CEO of the internet
Can't say I've ever worn two shirt before. Unless one is an open button shirt and the other one my initial shirt. Undershirts just seem like something my grandfather would wear back in the 1940's.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
i looked around today.. i do construction, i work outside and inside buildings.. the manual workers all wear one t.shirt, the people in the offices all wear two t.shirts.. maybe it's a class structure thing (please don't take that too seriously), or maybe it's just a fashion..

and to clarify.. i am referring to two t.shirts.. round neck, no collars.. usually a white one under a color one.