WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines U.S. Said to Be Closer to Bin Laden Capture

morelos

lexicon incognito
from http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,131477,00.html

Saturday, September 04, 2004
Associated Press

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — The United States and its allies have moved closer to capturing Usama bin Laden (search) in the last two months, a top U.S. counterterrorism official said in a television interview broadcast Saturday.

"If he has a watch, he should be looking at it because the clock is ticking. He will be caught," Joseph Cofer Black (search), the U.S. State Department coordinator for counterterrorism, told private Geo television network.

Asked if concrete progress had been made during the last two months — when Pakistan has arrested dozens of terror suspects including some key Al Qaeda (search) operatives — Black said, "Yes, I would say this."

Black, who briefed a group of Pakistani journalists after talks with officials here Friday, said he could not predict exactly when bin Laden and other top Al Qaeda fugitives would be nabbed.

"What I tell people, I would be surprised but not necessarily shocked if we wake up tomorrow and he's been caught along with all his lieutenants. That can happen because of the programs and infrastructure in place," he told Geo.

Bin Laden and his top associate, Ayman al-Zawahri, are believed to be hiding some place along the rugged border between Pakistan and Afghanistan. Officials have divulged no solid intelligence about bin Laden's precise whereabouts, and it's not clear if they have any.

Pakistan is a key ally of the United States in its war on terror, and Black's visit comes weeks after Pakistani security forces captured Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani, a Tanzanian wanted for the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings in east Africa, and Mohammed Naeem Noor Khan, a Pakistani computer expert allegedly linked to Al Qaeda operatives around the world.

The arrests led to a terror warning in the United States, and arrests in Britain and the United Arab Emirates.

Black attended a meeting of the Pakistan-U.S. Joint Working Group on Counterterrorism and Law Enforcement in Islamabad on Thursday and Friday.

During the talks, Pakistan asked U.S. officials for more helicopters, surveillance and communications equipment to help Pakistani forces guard border areas near Afghanistan "more efficiently," a Pakistani official at the talks said.

"We got a positive response from the American officials," said the official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Pakistan has deployed about 70,000 troops along the Afghan border and conducted several military operations this year in its lawless and largely autonomous tribal regions against Al Qaeda suspects and their local supporters.

Black hailed Pakistan's efforts in counterterrorism — despite criticism from Western officials who say that elements of the former ruling Taliban regime in Afghanistan still operate inside Pakistan.

"In terms of national programs and effectiveness, I would put Pakistan up against anyone else ... If you look at the arrests they have made, the information they have developed and the lives that have been saved, Pakistan is doing a great job," he said.

He added, however, that, "you can always do more."

-------------------------------------

COULD THE AMERICAN PUBLIC TRULY BE THIS GULLIBLE?

let me translate something:

"Closer to Bin Laden Capture" = "Closer to Election Day"

~ dan ~

Pachyderm

I really did.
It's so a bunch of bull shyt. The sad truth is people are that gulible, and even if we don't catch him (which I think I know we will/ or have already) people will believe that we will, and they will think he's a moral christian based guy. They wont care about the faultering economy, or that our education and research is going down the tube. It's like America has become backwoods hicks and they don't care about what's really happening to them. It's all about getting those gays where they belong, being able to get a gun much easier, and still keeping God in the picture. Since when did people start believing that politicians are moral people, especially the president? Don't be fooled. Why can't people remember the last four years?

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
conveniently caught like a week before elections.

Descent

Hella Constipated
People can't remember the last four years because they are typical dumb ass religious extremists. It just goes to show you how hopeless America has become.

tzedek

Original Member
morelos said:

~ dan ~

exactly. kinda like how the Saddam capture came out during one of the most down times in the whole war.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
morelos said:
COULD THE AMERICAN PUBLIC TRULY BE THIS GULLIBLE?

let me translate something:

~ dan ~
You wonder how long they've been holding the bastard...

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
I guess he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't with all of the conspiracy theorists... to say that they have him or know they could get him at any time and aren't is pretty dumb in my eyes... if two people besides the white house occupiers know... then that is two people too many.. someone would squeal... I will laugh when Bush wins and he is caught like a week after the elections... but if Kerry wins and he is caught a week after he takes office he will take/be given all the credit...

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
DanGeo23 said:
I guess he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't with all of the conspiracy theorists... to say that they have him or know they could get him at any time and aren't is pretty dumb in my eyes... if two people besides the white house occupiers know... then that is two people too many.. someone would squeal... I will laugh when Bush wins and he is caught like a week after the elections... but if Kerry wins and he is caught a week after he takes office he will take/be given all the credit...
Let's face it. To "captuer" Bin Laden too early would be political suicide. I don't blame him a bit. :thumbsup:

morelos

lexicon incognito
dangeo23 said:
exactly. but at the same time, don't you see that's the exact problem?

to me, if he intended on doing a good job, bin laden would have been old news before the stroke of midnight, 1-jan-02.

at the same time, it's amazing that the halliburton scandal was overshadowed by the capture of saddam at just the right time, under similar circumstances: coalition forces had completely surrounded the area and he turned up the same day the $100,000,000 halliburton scandal surfaced.

i'm not huge on conspiracy theories, but i am impressed with the gullibility of the american public. just give it thought, ok?

~ dan ~

Pachyderm

I really did.
It's sad that Americans are so blind and gullible. I'm almost throwing in the towel here (even though it's not over until the fat lady sings, but she's warming up). This is going to be the longest and worse four years of my life so far, I am going to go hide in a hole too, for fear I might be hunted down with torches and pitchforks and either be thrown into some sort of Gay camp where no one can catch my disease, or we'll all be thrown in the war. Better start packin.. :mfinger:

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
morelos said:
exactly. but at the same time, don't you see that's the exact problem?

to me, if he intended on doing a good job, bin laden would have been old news before the stroke of midnight, 1-jan-02.

at the same time, it's amazing that the halliburton scandal was overshadowed by the capture of saddam at just the right time, under similar circumstances: coalition forces had completely surrounded the area and he turned up the same day the $100,000,000 halliburton scandal surfaced.

i'm not huge on conspiracy theories, but i am impressed with the gullibility of the american public. just give it thought, ok?

~ dan ~
Surely you know the meaning of having an "Ace in the hole". George Bush had his. Literally.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
mo said:
yeah.. its funny how somethings make more news then others... like the Oil-for-food program scandal... no coverage... the missing pregnant chick story completely covered the Sandy Berger stealing classified intel documents story...
surely you'll agree...

morelos

lexicon incognito
dangeo23 said:
yeah.. its funny how somethings make more news then others... like the Oil-for-food program scandal... no coverage... the missing pregnant chick story completely covered the Sandy Berger stealing classified intel documents story...
surely you'll agree...
yes, i will.

did you ever read about the spy satellite that thought it found a nuclear weapons research facility in north korea?

we told them, "you have a nuclear weapons facility underground. we see it with our space-eyes. we want to come look at it." they responded, "you may not enter our country unless you meet our terms, which are..."

we met their terms (280,000 pounds of non-perishable food), and in exchange they let us in to look at their 'nuclear research facility,' which turned out to be old trenches and bunkers from the korean war.

nobody really heard about that, either.

you and i surely agree on this: it's all fucked up.

~ dan ~

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
was it just food they wanted.. I know that they recieved technology, $$ and food to not seek nukes... they abided for awhile... then they started their program up agian... and wanted more $$ from us to stop it...

morelos

lexicon incognito
dangeo said:
was it just food they wanted.. I know that they recieved technology, $$ and food to not seek nukes... they abided for awhile... then they started their program up agian... and wanted more $$ from us to stop it...
yeah, at the time it was "you feed our people and we'll let you inspect this thing you think is a facility."

He is already caught. They know exactly where he is. They are merely rationing us media so that Americans can continue to be as ignorant as they will let them be. I also think they do not want to create mass hysteria from what they are actually hiding from us but most people already know. Just like the Peterson and Bryant cases. Don't you think they could have come to a conclusion on those cases a little more promptly than that? Those cases lasted so long because the media built them up. They have us on strings.

In the midst of disorder I would rather be obvious and concise. So I guess I could be considered the commander. :p