WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines U.S. Soldier Sentenced to 8 Years for Iraq Abuse

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - U.S. Staff Sergeant Ivan "Chip" Frederick was sentenced to eight years in prison on Thursday for sexually and physically abusing Iraqi detainees at Abu Ghraib jail in Baghdad.

At a court martial near Baghdad airport, Judge Colonel James Pohl also sentenced the army reservist to a reduction in rank to private, forfeiture of pay and a dishonorable discharge.

It was the toughest sentence in three convictions to date related to degrading abuses at Abu Ghraib exposed with the publication in April of photographs that outraged the world.

Frederick's lawyer Gary Myers called the sentence excessive and said he intended to appeal to seek a reduction.

Frederick, 38, the most senior enlisted man charged in the Abu Ghraib scandal, had pleaded guilty to five charges of abusing detainees at the facility in October and November last year, including making three prisoners masturbate.

He punched one detainee so hard in the chest that he needed resuscitation. Frederick, a prison guard in civilian life, attached wires to another man, telling him he could be electrocuted if he stepped off a box.

In one of the most notorious incidents linked to the charges, naked prisoners were also made to form a human pyramid.

Major Michael Holley, the military prosecutor, told the court Frederick was an adult able to tell right from wrong.

"How much training do you need to learn that it's wrong to force a man to masturbate?" he asked.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 years seems a little excessive to me.

Obviously, the guy is very fucked up, nearly punching a prisoner to death, and he deserves to be punished. But, these people were unsupervised, just running their own little Disney Horror World.

I think some heads upstairs should roll...

Jung

???
Premium
8 years seems lenient to me, but i would also like to see some of the heads that are higher up roll. If these crimes were perpetrated against American citizens, everyone would agree that 8 years is too lenient. Iraqis are people too, whether they've been jailed (without due process) or not, and i'd say he deserves his punishment and then some.

breakology

Kiss my Converse
To add injury to insult, I just read in stars & stripes the other day that one of the generals in the chain of command who was in charge at Abu Ghraib Prison is getting promoted.