WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines U.S. Troops Fire Complaints at Rumsfeld

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
CAMP BUEHRING, Kuwait (Reuters) - Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld came under friendly fire Wednesday from troops who took up his invitation to ask tough questions about Iraq.

Hundreds of soldiers applauded a comrade who complained to Rumsfeld that U.S. troops were being forced to dig up scrap metal to protect their vehicles in Iraq because of a shortage of armored transport.

"Why do we soldiers have to dig through local landfills for pieces of scrap metal and compromised ballistic glass to armor our vehicles ... (scrap) that has already been shot up, dropped, busted, picking the best out of this scrap to put on our vehicles to take into combat?, the soldier said.

"We do not have proper armorment for our vehicles to carry us north (into Iraq)."

At Camp Buehring in Kuwait, 20 km (12 miles) south of the Iraq border, Rumsfeld faced other questions about equipment shortages and the U.S. role in Iraq after elections scheduled for Jan. 30.

He conceded that "not every vehicle has the degree of armor that it would be desirable for it to have," but said the army was hurrying to plate more vehicles.

"I think it is something like 400 a month are being done," he said. "As you know, you go to war with the army you have, not the army you might want or wish to have at a later time...

"I've talked a great deal about this with a team of people who have been working hard at the Pentagon (news - web sites)... if you think about it, you can have all the armor in the world on a tank and a tank can be blown up. And you can have an up-armored Humvee and it can be blown up."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well I bet that's what the troops were waiting to hear!

I don't agree with us being there, but if we HAVE to be there, they need armor. What is it that were pissing these billions away on anyway?

gurlgonewild

Was machen Sie?
voiceofreason said:
What is it that were pissing these billions away on anyway?
who the fuck knows man. i do not know if its true or urban myth but the same shit was reported about bullet proof vests...

they should make Rummy go north in an unamored HumV while he's there. maybe that'll speed shit up?

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
gurlgonewild said:
who the fuck knows man. i do not know if its true or urban myth but the same shit was reported about bullet proof vests...

they should make Rummy go north in an unamored HumV while he's there. maybe that'll speed shit up?
I'd love to see him rummidge through the trash for scrap metal, dickhead...

breakology

Kiss my Converse
This guy is crazy, army humvee's are TOP NOTCH! With plenty of armor to go around ... please observe for yourself:

edub1371

nervous tic, dull knife
I wish I had three hands so I could give him three thumbs WAAAY UP!

The Soldier that they showed on the news...... I wish he was one of my Soldiers. I would give him a damn silver star for asking that question. SECDEF's reply was that you go to war with the Army that you have.....we have been there for almost three years now. I think that it is about time that those who are spending the money redirect it somehow. Honestly, if we were in a football game we would all pick our sides and the coaching staff would do everything in their power to ensure that we won. It is time to make the Army that we went to war with the Army that we will win with. That is not to say that our troops can't win but if you could spend $10,000.00 to bring just one more U.S. Soldier home alive, would you? I know that I sure as hell would. I think that it is time for us to stop accepting things for the way that they are and start pushing for the way things should be! HOOAH! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

EDIT: spelling oopsies!

R

RedOctober

You get that shit because of TV series like McGyver.. ;)

Go and look what the damned Israeli's do!
They use their brains to get nice solutions for their armored vehicles.
They use all kinds of chains and stuff.

The American Army doesn't give a shit!

I was looking at the Humvee pics..

Where is the cable breaker?
A vertical bar on the front of the vehicle to take care of cables across the road. Oh? Never heard of that?

haljer

disillusioned
I dont know what they are complaining about, our unit got armor for its vehicles. Yeah the month before we left. Why didnt they leave this for the soldiers replacing us? Like that armor looks soo cool in the motor pool. It's not all about not having the funding, it's about lack of orginazation and planning. Maybe they had a pretty parade with the new vehicles once they got them back. I don't really have a point to this post other than it's not all about Rumsfeld there are problems the whole way down the chain. It's easy to target the guy at the top. But shit that's what he gets paid for right.

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
gurlgonewild said:

Yeah, I find it laughable that people were saying that if JK was elected, that he would not supply our soldiers with proper armor.
BTW it's not only armor they're lacking. There are a number of soldiers here at fort Dix in NJ, that are actually buying stuff at the PX, like batteries, and other supplies, to bring back over there. These guys are using their own money. I wonder what would happen if they submitted an expense report to their C/O.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
RedOctober said:
Where is the cable breaker?
A vertical bar on the front of the vehicle to take care of cables across the road. Oh? Never heard of that?
What makes you think that they've never heard of a cable breaker? Coming from you, the guy that thought an MI-24 Hind was a US helicopter; I laugh at that comment. Go buy yourself a clue, then you can act smug. Till then, try to make some sense.

R

RedOctober

MaxPower said:
What makes you think that they've never heard of a cable breaker? Coming from you, the guy that thought an MI-24 Hind was a US helicopter; I laugh at that comment. Go buy yourself a clue, then you can act smug. Till then, try to make some sense.
What for kind of shit are you talking about?

It seems to bee your own gawking that gave you the problem you mention!