Gaming Uh, oh...

Descent

Hella Constipated
Oh...my...fucking...god...

Derek Smart is getting his hands on the Descent Freespace 3 license. I don't know much about this guy, but I have not heard anything good. I hear this fucker can't make a game for his life.

NOOOO! VOLITION! DON'T DO IT!
*Cries*

If that happens, the world will go to shit...

I'm really close to crying right now...Descent is my all time favorite game series, and holds a huge setiment to me. Please, I must be in some sort of nightmare...

If you fucking kill Freespace, I'lll cut off your balls, Derek!

Descent

Hella Constipated
We're fucked!

Derek Smart is a public figure. He's the author of a computer game called Battlecruiser 3000ad (BC3K). He is infamous in the computer gaming industry. His game is known as one of the worst unmitigated disasters ever released. (To Mr. Smart's credit he has since fixed it to the point of it being playable. There's a niche group of people that really do enjoy his game now.) The Computer Gaming World magazine has poked fun at Derek a few times for an alleged incident where he beat up a Coke machine. He posts very frequently on Usenet. In the gaming news groups, he's infamous for being the focus of the largest and longest running flame war ever seen. Even before Usenet, the flames were on AOL (in the Take2 forum) and Compuserve. On Usenet this first took place primarily in the comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.strategic (c.s.i.p.g.s.) news group. Since a new news group was created, comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim, (c.s.i.p.g.s-s), the flame war is moving there more and c.s.i.p.g.s less.

Mr. Smart's biggest folly is that he participates in the flame war. This is what has made the flame war so popular, so entertaining, so persistent, and so long lasting. It is amazing that a game developer will frequently and consistently insult his customers and his potential customers on-line in a game news group. The flame war has become like a large soap opera. In the flame war there's even been a day, August 22, that has been dubbed Derek Smart Says F-ck You Day. This day is to commemorate Mr. Smart's unique style in public relations.

Participating in the flame war is not the only folly and poor judgment shown by Mr. Smart. Derek Smart has shown both a lack of judgment and lack of honesty by claiming that he earned a Ph.D. in Computer Science from a renowned and accredited university. He stuck to this false story for years in spite of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. Finally on 9/3/99 he admitted that the source of his diploma was not accredited. A week later on 9/10/99 he admitted that Dr. John Bear listed the source of his diploma as a degree mill. At this point Derek showed further poor judgment by deciding that he would continue claiming a Ph.D. even though according to Dr. John Bear it is not possible to earn a Ph.D. from a degree mill. As a matter of fact I've said many times that I don't believe that Derek has even earned a valid bachelor degree. I've offered to take down this web site and withdraw from the flame war if he would name an accredited college where he earned his bachelor degree. I think that it's obvious that the reason he hasn't accepted this offer is that he doesn't even have a bachelor degree let alone the Ph.D. that he claims in his Usenet signature.

Mr. Smart is a full time flamer. He likes to rant and rave that the flame war is everyone else's fault. The truth is that he brings it all onto himself. Here's my attempt at giving a relatively complete example of this that I call Crank Calls to a Cranky Kook that didn't take place on c.s.i.p.g.s-s.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
I've had a few dialogs with him, and other game developers, over on Beyond3D and The Motley Fools Investment forum. He's not that bad, once you get past the rough edges. It's always been interesting to hear his experiences in game development. Back then, he's been very vocal and critical of Nvidia and ATI. They would brush off any issues he's uncovered since he isn't the likes of Epic / id Software / Valve. He's a competent developer who does the most he can with what little resources he has. To be frank, I'd rather see the Descent Freespace license in his hands than in one of the larger Publishing companies.