WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines UN conference on climate change

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
From november 28th to december 9th, 189 countries will be discussing climate change issues in Montreal. Here are some quick facts about the contribution of some countries since Kyoto.

Canada was supposed to lower its greenhouse gas emissions by 6% by 2010.. But it went +24%, the 6th worst result since 1990. The US emissions went +13.3%, but of course they didn't sign any engagements.

Is climate really changing? Yes, it is. The ice up north melt sooner each year; in some places, it melts near a month sooner than it did 50 years ago. That's just an exemple.

Are humans responsible for it? Yes, they are. The only "scientific" studies that says otherwise were financed by the Esso corporation. That's more than just irony, it's kind of sick too. Humans and their industries let billions of tons of greenhouse gasses in the atmosphere each year. These gasses don't just disappear into space, they're maintained by gravity, for a very long time. There's no super vacuum to make them disappear either. Clearly, we're facing a problem. Countries around the world are willing to talk about it, (even though they're not doing shit right now), but the US doesn't want to hear shit (thanks to big corporate lobbyism).

We all know economy and environment don't like each other. But can't they compromise equally? As citizens of earth I think we really need to put our priorities at the right place. Do we want our grand-children to suffer for our greedy actions? I say greedy, because obviously corporations are lobbying the white house to reject any environmental treaty that would threaten growth. That is greed.

Canada isn't far better : they actually signed the treaty, but failed to respect their engagements. Part of the reason is, the US didn't sign, and Canada didn't want to lose productivity in some sectors that would have allowed Americans to take over. They say if the US would sign, then Canada could lower its emissions without fear of comparative productivity loss, or some bullshit. It's all a load of crap. What's more important than earth's health? Big dollars? Give me a break. What do you think?

Life Sucks

Banned - What an Asshat!
I hear that. Live out in Nebraska and we have noticed a hotter summer and winter, well more than normal. It makes since once the ice get to a sertin point its gonna mess up somethin.

DirtyBird

Divides by Zero
Until the capitalists of the world feel like its in their best interests to protect mother nature, it won't happen.

Obviously global warming is just a big conspiracy from the left anyway... Right? Pfffft... sure.

DanGeo23

Resident Conservative
I'm all for cutting back on pollution... saving the ozone and all that tree huggin shit... but.. I think we need to focus on getting countries like China and India to sign on and actually abide by it... were we to sign on and cut back by making changes to factories and plants it would certianly cause the unemployment rate to rise because the companies would have to spend money on shit they hadn't budgeted for... and when they go looking for ways to cut back on expenses the workers will suffer... and some of those jobs will prolly end up in China and India... and I believe they are the worst polluters... then the libs will bitch when our unemployment rate closes in on France and Germany's rates....

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
DanGeo23 said:
I'm all for cutting back on pollution... saving the ozone and all that tree huggin shit... but.. I think we need to focus on getting countries like China and India to sign on and actually abide by it... were we to sign on and cut back by making changes to factories and plants it would certianly cause the unemployment rate to rise because the companies would have to spend money on shit they hadn't budgeted for... and when they go looking for ways to cut back on expenses the workers will suffer... and some of those jobs will prolly end up in China and India... and I believe they are the worst polluters... then the libs will bitch when our unemployment rate closes in on France and Germany's rates....

Participation in the Kyoto Protocol, where dark green indicates countries that have signed and ratified the treaty and yellow indicates states that have signed and hope to ratify the treaty. Notably, Australia and the United States have signed but, currently, decline to ratify it.

india and china are in, they are in green on this map..

LINK.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
USA is the biggest polluter in the world. Rest of the western world is pissed because it is rather openly stated that China and Taiwan wont sign Kyoto, before USA ratifies ot. US is to show an example.
Here is an image showin the carbon_oxide- pollutionhttp://www.nationmaster.com/graph-b/env_pol_car_dio_199

UN had plans to work this out at a summit last summer. But then the US ambassador John Bolton decided to "spam" the meeting with an idiotic list of suggestions, within the ones like "no US citizen souldn´t be forced to on trial on the International court of justice" This also prevented the meeting from bettering the state of the poor, and improving the UN constitution in order to make it workable.