WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines UN health chief urges action against bird flu

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
UNITED NATIONS -- Avian flu will mutate and become transmissible by humans, and the world has no time to waste to stop it from becoming a pandemic, the head of the United Nations World Health Organization said yesterday.

Breaking News Alerts Lee Jong-wook, a South Korean doctor, delivered his warning as the United States worked to rally states behind a new US plan to fight the disease, which has already killed more than 60 people in Asia and spread to Russia and Europe.

''Human influenza is coming, we know that, and no government, no leaders can afford to be caught off-guard," Lee said.

''We must pounce on human pandemic outbreaks with all medicines at our disposal and at the earliest possible moment," he said at a news conference in New York.

''When the pandemic starts, it is simply too late."

http://www.boston.com/news/world/as...n_health_chief_urges_action_against_bird_flu/

----------------

They say this pandemic could potentially kill 150 million humans... Last flu pandemic was in 1918 and killed 40 million. Pretty hardcore...

jamesp

In Memory...
Yeah, bird flu turns people into ravening zombies intent on feeding on the flesh of uninfected humans. :rolleyes:

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
bird flu probably has better camera angles..

(referring to games not movies /obviousness)

Boycott

Soul Doubt

I find this funny, when we're baking ourselves due to global warming... :thumbsup:

Who said "When Global Warming starts, it is simply too late."

Not to mention Africa will be wiped out when the pandemic starts... let's hope they have natural immunities.

jamesp

In Memory...
blk990 said:
Sorry, I forgot to put the [/SARCASM] tag on that.
Yeah...you did, that and the [MORONIC] tag.....

sorry, i shouldn't have said that outside B&T.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
ehh - James I've been wanted to flame outside of B&T a lot too...

Everyone realizes that nothing's going to be done about this until it's happened, right? No one ever does anything about major problems until it's too late.

jamesp

In Memory...
Because that would be forethough, and we all know that most governments today are severely lacking in that, especially our own. Our government didn't have the forethought to prepare in any way for the worst natural disaster in the history of the US.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
I'm talking about everything... Every single thing in the issues forum probably comes from lack of forethought... I suppose they're trying to do something about bird flu, but if nothing is done and millions of people do die, the government will be ridiculed beyond belief.

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
Boycott said:

I find this funny, when we're baking ourselves due to global warming... :thumbsup:

Who said "When Global Warming starts, it is simply too late."

Not to mention Africa will be wiped out when the pandemic starts... let's hope they have natural immunities.
Yep, too late, The Day After Tomorrow style..

mltr79

Fresh Meat
Avian Flu

you are right
the virus was first only contagious between birds bu then got transfered to humans as well
as a result many humnas in countries liek vietnam and cambodia have been affected
will not be long when the virus becomes contagious between humans
i have read it in an intersting article at http://www.drugdelivery.ca/bird-flu.aspx

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
here we go.. it's on..

Fears that Asian bird flu has spread to Europe as ducks die in Romania

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]· Black Sea villagers and animals under quarantine
· Britain to conduct tests looking for lethal strain
[/FONT]

[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Nicholas Watt in Brussels, Sarah Boseley and Riazat Butt
Saturday October 8, 2005
The Guardian

[/FONT]
[FONT=Geneva,Arial,sans-serif]Fears that the deadly Asian bird flu may have spread to Europe were heightened yesterday when the Romanian government confirmed that three ducks have died of a strain of the disease in the east of the country. Scientists in Britain are to conduct tests on samples to find out whether the domestic ducks were infected by the dangerous H5N1 strain, which has so far been confined to Asia.[/FONT]

http://www.guardian.co.uk/birdflu/story/0,14207,1587704,00.html

Bush focuses on bird flu vaccines

Experts say that bird flu is the world's biggest health threat
US President George W Bush has urged manufacturers of bird flu vaccine to increase production, as concern rises about a potential epidemic.
The president met drug firm chiefs as officials from 80 countries and the UN met to try to plan a global approach to any pandemic.

Last week, the Senate released $4bn for the purchase of anti-flu drugs.

Mr Bush recently suggested that the military could enforce quarantines in affected areas in the United States.

Mr Bush's comments are further evidence that avian flu has risen close to the top of the White House agenda, says the BBC's James Coomarasamy in Washington.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4320678.stm

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
and again..

Turkey bird flu 'deadly strain'

Thousands of birds have already been culled in Turkey and Romania
EU states have been urged to stockpile anti-viral drugs after confirmation that the bird flu virus found in Turkey is the H5N1 strain dangerous to humans.
EU Health Commissioner Markos Kyprianou said the European Union should be ready for a potential flu pandemic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4337918.stm

jora

Fresh Meat
Hello all this is very good to discuss about the bird flu infection because this is very dangerous disease this time .We have to concentrate in this .Various drug companies are giving the information of this disorder and also the side effects of the medicines .Relenza is now very well known drug for this.
It has considerable side effects so I think this is better.

Please see the link below too...

http://www.drugdelivery.ca/s33713-s-RELENZA.aspx

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
jora said:
Hello all this is very good to discuss about the bird flu infection because this is very dangerous disease this time .We have to concentrate in this .Various drug companies are giving the information of this disorder and also the side effects of the medicines .Relenza is now very well known drug for this.
It has considerable side effects so I think this is better.

Please see the link below too...

http://www.drugdelivery.ca/s33713-s-RELENZA.aspx
are you a sales rep?