WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

United States not having mass transit system.

ThisIsBananas

Save the world!
Premium
I wish the United States had some sort of countrywide transit system. I could step into a train, tram, or something else, and quickly get to another city or town, instead of driving hours to get to another place and dealing with traffic. Your thoughts?

TheRover

Mostly_Liquid
I would tram it across the United States Of America.. make it happen bananas but Id advise you to come and experience British Rail before you assume stepping onto a nation wide train service is going to get you any place fast...that's if all the train drivers are not on strike so there's no trains, then you'll be wishing for your ford f series pick up and 900 lane US motorway

Last edited:

Scooter

Roll me up and smoke me when I die.
That's why we have airplanes but flying sucks. I hate it. I took a train to see my girlfriend in New York because I wasn't trusted to drive there. It sucked. Too many stops on the way. That was 30 years ago, though. I entertained the thought of taking an Amtrack to Florida for whatever reason about 15 years ago for whatever reason. Hop on a train, sit back and relax, enjoy the scenery … but two fucking days on a train? NOPE! And there's always the Greyhound bus. Fuck that, too. I've been on a couple of bus trips through private charters for sports-related things. Convenient, fun and easy but mostly short trips. The baseball trip to Detroit, Chicago and Milwaukee was fun until we got stranded in Ohio on the way home because the air conditioning on the bus broke down. We had to sit and wait for hours until another bus could come and take us home.

Ask me anything about my bus trip to New Orleans for Super Bowl XLVII. It was long and tortuous but it was worth it.

Honestly, it's better to drive wherever you want to go. Just pick your spot and driving hours for where you want to go. Drive in the middle of the night if traffic is an issue. Get to your destination as soon as possible and enjoy it.

ThisIsBananas

Save the world!
Premium
I would tram it across the United States Of America.. make it happen bananas but Id advise you to come and experience British Rail before you assume stepping onto a nation wide train service is going to get you any place fast...that's if all the train drivers are not on strike so there's no trains, then you'll be wishing for your ford f series pick up and 900 lane US motorway
That's why we have airplanes but flying sucks. I hate it. I took a train to see my girlfriend in New York because I wasn't trusted to drive there. It sucked. Too many stops on the way. That was 30 years ago, though. I entertained the thought of taking an Amtrack to Florida for whatever reason about 15 years ago for whatever reason. Hop on a train, sit back and relax, enjoy the scenery … but two fucking days on a train? NOPE! And there's always the Greyhound bus. Fuck that, too. I've been on a couple of bus trips through private charters for sports-related things. Convenient, fun and easy but mostly short trips. The baseball trip to Detroit, Chicago and Milwaukee was fun until we got stranded in Ohio on the way home because the air conditioning on the bus broke down. We had to sit and wait for hours until another bus could come and take us home.

Ask me anything about my bus trip to New Orleans for Super Bowl XLVII. It was long and tortuous but it was worth it.

Honestly, it's better to drive wherever you want to go. Just pick your spot and driving hours for where you want to go. Drive in the middle of the night if traffic is an issue. Get to your destination as soon as possible and enjoy it.
Driving is faster than train, and driving is faster than plane if the distance is close enough. I still wish there were a faster and safer way to travel.

Last edited:
I 100% agree.

...Though maybe the US can just start with fixing the infrastructure we have? Where I live, not only is there no public transit, but the roads are in a horrible state of disrepair. Bridges are closed for being structurally unsound. Roadways are frequently impassable due to flooding, and holes (from little pot holes to sink holes large enough to lose a diesel truck in). Most roads are narrow and winding with no shoulder, bike lane, or side walk, so even if the road is otherwise passable, you inevitably get stuck behind a cyclist or something and have to go 10 mph all the way to work.

All our power lines are above ground so welcome the power outages every time it gets windy or a drunk driver hits a pole.

Many streets don't have access to fast internet. Not every street has cable lines and most have slow, outdated phone lines so we can't even get faster DSL speeds. Forget things like FiOS.

Our country could run so much better if we updated our infrastructure for sure.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Unfortunately the Republican party would rather spend the tax money issueing tax break to the wealthy and awarding large contracts to their big corporation friends who supplied them with kickbacks.

Crazizniac

Particinator
I like the automobile as the chosen mode of transportation just for population control, and with the advent of more Americans reaching middle age with a yearning to hit the open road on a motorcycle we've seen a rapid rise in "idiot death" that doesn't exactly cut down on propagation as they've already produced their yuppie larva but at least it makes for fun reading.

CoprophagousCop

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium
Drive in the middle of the night if traffic is an issue.
... and you do not mind being pulled over by state troopers because you have an out of state license plate.

"Your muffler is too loud." "I saw you drive on the white line." "You were speeding in a work zone." (Even though you were driving the same speed as the 18-wheeler directly in front of you.) If you go out of state, stay off the interstate once it gets dark.