WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Unmountable Volume XP

</rant>

Tenderony
So I get home from the pub after turning my pc off 3 hrs earlier and its dead.

Unmountable volume. BSOD. Plugged it into another pc, same thing. Wont boot of xp cd. Cant chkdsk /f from 98 cd.

Got another hd im putting 2000 on.

All I want to do with this is play HL2.. Can I run it on Linux? Might be happier doing that than pissing around with windows.

MTF.

</rant>

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
if you wanna play with no sound yes you can, last i check hl2 had some issues with sound in linux

</rant>

Tenderony
Hypertron said:
if you wanna play with no sound yes you can, last i check hl2 had some issues with sound in linux
That sucks, gonna have a look into that..

Edit: Apparently someone running mandrake 10.1 used cedega to run hl2 exactly the same as on a pc. May have to give that a go.

Clickit

</rant>

Jung

???
Premium
Can you set the drive as slave on another PC? Your hard dick may be on it's way out, but you might be able to recover some data.

Hypertron said:
I have a friend that runs Steam, and all of it's games flawlessly under Linux. It has more to do with your sound drivers than anything else. (read: ALSA) I believe he runs Ubuntu, if that helps.

</rant>

Tenderony
junglizm said:
Can you set the drive as slave on another PC? Your hard dick may be on it's way out, but you might be able to recover some data.
Didn't try that, will have a go tommorrow.

junglizm said:
I have a friend that runs Steam, and all of it's games flawlessly under Linux. It has more to do with your sound drivers than anything else. (read: ALSA) I believe he runs Ubuntu, if that helps.
I'll give it a try. I'd rather not have windows tbh.

New 2000 install on new hd failed. Unable to format, may be damaged disk. I just took it out the wrapper. Maxtor Diamondmax 120 gb sata.

WTF?

</rant>

dang u have no luck put the new hd in and put a new windows xp in.

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
when did you get it, its it fairly new?

Jung

???
Premium
If it's brand new, don't even bother fucking with it; just RMA/return it.
HamDaMan said:
dang u have no luck put the new hd in and put a new windows xp in.
Great reply. :thumbsup:

</rant>

Tenderony
junglizm said:
If it's brand new, don't even bother fucking with it; just RMA/return it.

Great reply. :thumbsup:
It is less than 6 months old, but I bought parts from various places and built it myself. Has been running fine up until last night.

Seems strange that I cant install 2000 on a brand new hd though. Do you reckon that means its something other than the hd causing this?

The only thing I have changed in the last few days is an ide cable. Doubt its that.

Downloaded that Ubuntu and will have a go with that tonight.

Spec:

AMD64 3200+
MSI Neo2 Platinum
4600Ti
Dual Ballistix 256MB
Tagan 480W PSU
Asus Star Ice

If it helps.

:(

Edit: Cedega cost £3 per month to subscribe to. Jung what does your mate use to run hl2 on linux? If it costs money I may have to resort to windows again.

</rant>

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
6 months? that hard drive is still under manufacturer warranty, box it up, call them and they should let you ship it back to them for a full refund or exchange.

</rant>

Tenderony
Hypertron said:
6 months? that hard drive is still under manufacturer warranty, box it up, call them and they should let you ship it back to them for a full refund or exchange.
Lesson learnt: Don't buy shit from pc world.

Mind you I had the same 'Damaged Drive' error with my old 40gb maxtor ata, this fucked 120gb samsung sata and the new 120gb maxtor sata.

Could be the dodgy xp copy I have. But the 2000 install I tried was using a proper copy.

This baffles me tbh. Every HD I try to install a windows os on it tells me it may be damaged. I can delete the partitions, go through the whole formatting process only to be greeted with 'format was unsucessful' at the end of it.

After it fails I have two "partitions" (I know not the right word). One massive chunk of the hd and its size, then another tiny one saying unused space. What is that about?

I've got a proper copy of xp off a mate so ill try repair it with that.

Good thing I have a bag of weed and a weekend to kill.

:confuse:

Edit: Proper copy of xp let me chkdsk. Fixed! No loss of data.

:thumbsup:

</rant>

Anon

Banned - What an Asshat!
I tried running HL2 on Linux, it worked but it was buggy & shit

</rant>

Tenderony
Ive heard many good things about linux.

I only use this box for games really. My mac does all the design stuff.

Pc's are just a bit moody.

</rant>