WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Unreal Tournament Fans - Should UT2007 go "Back to it's roots?"

Which Unreal Tournament game should UT2007's play style be similar too?

• Unreal Tournament (UT99)

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Unreal Tournament 2004 (UT2004)

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters

Descent

Hella Constipated
I was playing UT2004 today and I continue to get more and more disappointed at the lack of skill required to play the game. It's all reflexes.

And compared to UT99, it just plays motherfucking cartoony.

The original Unreal Tournament was difficult to master and much more fun to play. I can pick up the Link Gun in UT2004 for the first time and figure out how to lead it in a few seconds. Not so with the Pulse Rifle in UT99 - It requires practice and skill to lead effectively.

The same goes for every other weapon.

And I also am not a fan of the linear nature of UT2004's stock maps - especially the assault maps - UT99's stock maps were not linear at all and highly dynamic - each playthrough was a unique and new experience.

DM-Turbine and DM-Phobos are as much fun today as they were when I first played them back in 2003, after getting bored of UT2003.

I cannot say the same for any of the maps in UT2004, besides DM-Antalus, DM-Asbestos, and CTF-Citadel. To add insult to injury, those maps have been around since the PRERELEASE DEMO of UT2003.

So whaddya think? Should Epic Games and Digital Extremes make it so skill is required to play UT2007, or just pure reflexes?

jamesp

In Memory...
I actually liked 04 and 03 better than any of the others. The reflex action makes for some very intense gameplay when you are playing with 8+ good players. And with MODs like instagib, then you get into skill, see how long you last.... (You dont have to respond to this Descent, its kind of rhetorical.)

Descent

Hella Constipated
jamesp said:
I actually liked 04 and 03 better than any of the others. The reflex action makes for some very intense gameplay when you are playing with 8+ good players. And with MODs like instagib, then you get into skill, see how long you last.... (You dont have to respond to this Descent, its kind of rhetorical.)
Teehee...I know I don't have to respond :p.

One of the many keys to great gameplay is the sense of accomplishment. And if you have ever killed a member of the UT99 Dutch Marijuana Clan [D.M.C.], you'll know what I'm talking about.

In my prime, I could kill almost any one. I'm out of practice now, but when I was REALLY good I went up against 10 of these guys and they made my clan, {WoP} (Warriors of the Past) look like schoolgirls.

Granted, we have two members, but two REALLY GOOD members.

And from a designer's point of view, I feel a strong sense of accomplishment against a real human being is much better than a strong sense of accomplishment from a mission based goal, i.e. capturing a flag in certain situations.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
I like UT2k3, and UT2k4 both very much! Cartoony? I don't consider loading up with the flak cannon, firing it off and running through someone's exploded carcass, too cartoony; I think it's freakin' awesome!

I agree with James, that finding the right players is the key, and that instagib brings out the true skill. But hell, it's just plain fun to jump into the tank, or one of the flying-mobiles, and kick some ass. :)

I will say that their lower difficulty levels are rather, easy, and they should add some ammount of difficulty to them. And maybe have not so many choices of difficulty.

i love ut2k4 but i think the improvement has to be in the movement. Its far to basic for the higher end DM players. The weapons are excellent and i think the maps are decent. However its so vital for the dm aspect of this game that there have to be more variables... more options, movement development.