WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Unusual Names

Anyone else here have a strange or unique first (or last) name? Or a name people can't seem to pronounce even after you've said it to them REPEATEDLY?

:banghead: I cannot tell you how sick and tired I am of people asking me questions and/or making comments about my name. I know I can't be the only one.

Soooo, people with unique names: Vent, or share your stories here!

yea names are odd

I legally changed my name last year to something unsual, and now I'm mostly sick of it. I'll probably change my name again next year :confused:

Farceur

Philosophy Nazi
Premium
Haha, top this, my last name is a sexual reference... i get in trouble with alot of subs who think im shitting them...

Hooooly crap, you should see hte people try to pronounce my name.

It's Basil Soofi. Phoenetically; bah-s-il sufee.

I get the WEIRDEST pronunciations. people pronounce my first name like the herb, when it's a throatal sound, and they call my last name "soe-fi" and the teachers can never remember my name, and once they do, i have to spend like 5 minutes correcting them. It's a little sad...

Brain Spout

Wizard No More
im very surprised people can't pernounce my last name. but i get the pernounciation of:

Kuh - plan

my last name is Kaplan which is pernounced:

Kap-lan

it's very complicated, i know :rolleyes:

jeez..
la-mah-rie
le-mur
le-mary
la-mear

plenty others.

soliciters are funny. do they do that on purpose?

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
My last name is a conundrum... it consists of over 30 letters... and no it's not funny :rolleyes:

polaris_nine

Banned - What an Asshat!
I guess my last name is the opposite here, but I still get trouble from either hard hearing people, or just plain stupid people.

Hall.

When you say it somewhere crowded or noisy, it just looks like I'm going to throw up on you. Hell? Hah? Hahn? I almost always have to spell it out.

magnolia

Postaholic
I had a 10 minute argument with a substitute teacher about how my last name was pronounced. He stood there and said, "Don't tell me how to pronounce your name. It's a dutch name and I'm dutch, so I know how to pronounce it." After going on and on about it I quietly walked up to him at the end of class and said, "I don't have a dutch bone in my body, I'm german." And walked out. You should have seen the look on his face.

magnolia said:
I had a 10 minute argument with a substitute teacher about how my last name was pronounced. He stood there and said, "Don't tell me how to pronounce your name. It's a dutch name and I'm dutch, so I know how to pronounce it." After going on and on about it I quietly walked up to him at the end of class and said, "I don't have a dutch bone in my body, I'm german." And walked out. You should have seen the look on his face.
What an asshole! As if you, and not to mention your entire family, wouldn't know how to pronounce your own name. :rolleyes:

magnolia

Postaholic
zoloftcasserole said:
What an asshole! As if you, and not to mention your entire family, wouldn't know how to pronounce your own name. :rolleyes:
I know, right? He's an ass. But he got harassed so badly cuz he was gay, and I mean the flamboyant kind of gay. Not the subdued kind of gay.

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
My last name is Jandera.... I belive its easy to prounce... Just sound it out. And there you go. You have said my last name!

Jung

???
Premium
I once knew a girl named Michael, although I'm not sure on the spelling. Despite her oddly masculine name, she was very hot. :happysad:

Stardust

Being naked just feels so a-peeling
junglizm said:
I once knew a girl named Michael, although I'm not sure on the spelling. Despite her oddly masculine name, she was very hot. :happysad:
I have a cousin named Michaela (sh'e female ;)) some have it hard to get it pronounced right..and my name..isn' that hard..but everyone misspells it..and I can't figure out why?? It is freking S-A-N-N-A god damnit..how can you missunderstand that name? and if you have troubles pronouncing it then just add and "H" in the end and it maybe makes sence?

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
My entire home area is comprised of mostly German last names. This leads to a myriad of mispronunciations. It's quite comical, makes screening phone calls even easier, and is sometimes bothersome.

Thilda

Flame Bait
Yeah..! My last names this really old odd name... :s
NO ONE! can pronounce it... It's Welzel... I think its pretty easy to say it.. But everyone keep saying like: "Weazel".. Argh....

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
This struck me as funny.

A guest checked into the hotel I work at, his name was John Head. He was obviously gay, and get this, he lives on Handcock Street. I thought he was pulling my leg, but his driver's license showed all the above!

:D