WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Unusual Names

squeeze_me

Fuck me in the gotaz.
I come from a Macedonian background im not going to post my last name.

But like all male macedonian last names it end with a "ski" and for ladies it end with "ska".

My last name is Clement. Not so hard to spell huh? And it's not Clément (as in the French pronunciation Clay-mon). The problem I had is that no matter who I was talking to, they always took it upon themselves to add an 's' to the end of my name. Every time I sign up for something by questionnaire I always get my mail addressed to Clements, or Clemens or Clemence, or something equally retarded.

Oh yeah and my middle name really is Hannibal. I'm not lying about this.

has anyone ever heard of someone called Jesus. I know I haven't. It's a good name, so what would be the big deal if you named your kid Jesus. ? Doesn't that just make you think?

Spanish/Latin people have Jesus (pronounced khey-soos, kh, being that throaty sound that is characteristic of Hispanic Languages) as quite a common name. I used to know a Jesus, and two Angels (pronounced with a soft 'guh' instead of a hard 'gee'). Strangely, we were all atheist/agnostic...

Muse

Postaholic
I've heard of someone named Jesus, and no it wasn't the religious figure, it was some guy on T.V.

My name isn't crazy or weird, but a lot of people seem to have a hard time pronouncing it right. I understand why. Alexandria. Al-ecks-and-REE-uh.

Most people assume it's Alexandra and completely ignore the 'ree' part. It bugs me.

thats the thing though. Never have I heard of an English person being named Jesus. I don't think there is anything and any sort of bible against it, so why don't people name their children that. Besides, was he/she the son of god, I mean hello fuckers.

An interesting tidbit I just found about Jesus:

"His name was Yeshua (or Yehoshuwa) - which was the Hebrew form of Joshua. Joshua. Joshua! Joshua Christ, Somebody’s Lord and Savior, amen. The name “Jesus” descends from the Greek equivalent of Yeshua, Iasues. But the two names were equivalent!"

So by all means name your child Jesus, but it's not The Christian Son of God's real name apparently!

Edit: This was taken from another forum, so may not be 100% accurate.

Edit of the Edit: Found a slightly more reliable source on this:

JOSHUA

Usage: English, Biblical

Pronounced: JAH-shu-wa, JAW-shwa

From the Hebrew name Yehoshua which meant "YAHWEH is salvation". Joshua was one of the twelve spies sent into Canaan by Moses in the Old Testament. After Moses died Joshua succeeded him as leader of the Israelites. The name Jesus was a variant of the name Joshua.

http://www.behindthename.com/php/search.php?terms=joshua&nmd=n&gender=both&operator=or

JESUS

Usage: Theology, Biblical

Pronounced: JEE-zus

English form of Iesous, which was the Greek form of the Aramaic name Yeshua. Yeshua is itself a contracted form of Yehoshua (see JOSHUA). Yeshua ben Yoseph, better known as Jesus Christ, was the central figure of the New Testament and the source of the Christian religion. The four Gospels state that he was the son of God and the Virgin Mary who fulfilled the Old Testament prophecies of the Messiah. He preached for three years before being crucified in Jerusalem.

http://www.behindthename.com/php/search.php?nmd=n&terms=jesus

Hypernova

Monk of Doom
in the english form yes it is correct. It gets really weird when translating half the names stay the same and the other half get transleted, for instance if somone comes from china if their name is yingyan they dont need to translate it, but a family with the name ployeskinshduhsa or somthing translate their name into english...so Jesus is the Englishified name of Christ, if your speaking his name in other Languages it'll be different.

Speaking of translation my name is spelled the same or nearly the same and pronounced to in nearly every langauge it's commonly found in, and its most basic a name to.

Aaron

just for obvious reasons, im not going to talk about my last name, but if we get talking about certain things I wont be able to restrain myself from bragging about my last name and what it means who I am and who my family is.

Easty

Click click boom
Muse said:
I've heard of someone named Jesus, and no it wasn't the religious figure, it was some guy on T.V.
He could of been of Hispanic heritage, pronounced Hay-zooce. Not really that uncommon, you know.

But I gotta have the most original name ever. Ready for this? It's Mike. Bet I'm the first Mike you've met right?

/me prances proudly.

My name is Maja, so I have like the most boring nickname here, and english speaking people just can't pronounce right, not in Hastings anyway. I lived there for two months, after I while I started to tape it Maya so I didn't have to correct people.

Otherwise my other names is quite common in Sweden, Maja is that to but anyway, so I don't have to bother here, the rest is Astrid Linnéa Nydahl just for your information.