WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Upgradation!

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
My dad wants to play Battlefield 2(aka modern videogames). His outdated GeForce4 cannot play it(read:them). So, I told him I'd ask my friends at wtf[dot]com what he should pick up. He's got an awesome compaq presario, specs found here. I am thinking he will need to upgrade both videocard and power supply. Ram has been beefed up to 512mb; and can be upgraded more later. So any suggestions. I am not looking to spend a ton of money, but I do ask for quality parts. Thanks guys!:thumbsup:

Jung

???
Premium
He's got an awesome compaq presario, specs found here.
AMD Athlon XP2200+ 1.8 GHz
200/266 MHz
5400 RPM 80 GB Ultra DMA
That's far from awesome, and it's not going to play BF2 very well...

Given the specs of the system, he'd be wasting his money upgrading video card and RAM. He might as well just buy/build a new PC with low end components; even a low end A64 and budget video card would make a bigger difference than throwing a new PSU, video card and ram into that piece.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
junglizm said:
That's far from awesome, and it's not going to play BF2 very well...

Given the specs of the system, he'd be wasting his money upgrading video card and RAM. He might as well just buy/build a new PC with low end components; even a low end A64 and budget video card would make a bigger difference than throwing a new PSU, video card and ram into that piece.
Dude, the thing blazes! :D

Suggestions of low-end components?

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Nothing excessively expensive, it's just my father who wants to be able to play modern videogames at descent speeds.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Well, seriously...266MHz FSB...What the FUCK...That's not really too upgradeable.

Worse still, he has a 2200+. Which is preety incapable of running BF2.

He should slap in a Socket 754 motherboard, a Sempron 64 2800+ 256K cache CPU, and an X800GT PCI-E video card.

While he's at it he should slap in a 1GB stick of RAM, that mobo only has two slots.

And as for the power supply, I run the exact same model and it's pretty fucking hard to beat for the money.

However, since Compaq/HP use Bestec PSU's and then proceed to underrate their power output like the little nazi's they are (I mean, i pushed my 250w HP Bestec to 370w with no issues whatsoever, besides extremely loud fan operation), I would hold off on this unless he lacks the auxilary P4 power connector.

Now, if he cannot afford all this, get him a 256MB 6600GT and the PSU I recommended ya.

Or if you want to be horrendously cheap, pick up a 128MB 6600GT and call it a day.

Jung

???
Premium
If he wants to spend a litte bit more, here is a complete system with a 939 (for upgradability). - $544.68

If he wants to save money, this video card is $30 cheaper than the one Descent listed.

Also, he needs a 7200RPM drive. Both boards support SATA 150, so I'd go with this 80GB SATA drive - it's the same price as IDE drives of the same size.

A slightly cheaper PSU as well.
Now, if he cannot afford all this, get him a 256MB 6600GT and the PSU I recommended ya.
Putting 256MB of RAM on a 6600GT is like putting a 6ft. spoiler on a Civic.

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Jung: The wishlist just shows up with a bunch of wishlist's that various people have shared. What's the name of the specific wishlist?

Secondly, can I just upgrade the hardware, slap in his old-harddrive without doing a fresh install, and have him lose all his crap, and then move everything over to the SATA drive?

And, by the way, thanks. :)

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Quick note to say that it's best to just upgrade the entire system. It's too far out of line to consider BF2 to be playable. BF2 really pushed the envelope on hardware. Many people have upgraded and many more plan to upgrade to 2 Gigs of memory and 7800GT(X) or X1600/1800XL/XT cards to completely enjoy the game.

It should be playable on an AMD s939 cpu, 1Gig memory, a 7200rpm SATA drives, and for video either ATI X800XL / Nvidia 6800GT as the bare minimums.

His best bet might be to hold off for the new consoles -- XBox 360 and then grab the game for it.

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
If he wants to spend a litte bit more, here is a complete system with a 939 (for upgradability). - $544.68

If he wants to save money, this video card is $30 cheaper than the one Descent listed.

Also, he needs a 7200RPM drive. Both boards support SATA 150, so I'd go with this 80GB SATA drive - it's the same price as IDE drives of the same size.

A slightly cheaper PSU as well.Putting 256MB of RAM on a 6600GT is like putting a 6ft. spoiler on a Civic.
FYI, the X800GT you linked to has MUCH less memory bandwidth than the one I posted, I distinctly avoided that model. 700MHz vs 980MHz. And that'll kill ya when FSAA/AF/Shaders kick in.

The Sapphire you linked to is about as fast as my 9700 Pro. It's not even close to a 6600GT in performance.

I'm going to tell you something about Sapphire video cards Junglizm. They suck. They are the PC Chips of the video card world - they lie, steal, cheat, and fraud. I'd know - my 9700 Pro is made by them.

And as for the "256MB of RAM Civic," what the fuck? FYI, I'd KILL for a 256MB framebuffer right now. My bro has a GeForce FX 5900XT with a 256MB framebuffer, and the detail increase is beyond noticeable.

BRiT said:
Quick note to say that it's best to just upgrade the entire system. It's too far out of line to consider BF2 to be playable. BF2 really pushed the envelope on hardware. Many people have upgraded and many more plan to upgrade to 2 Gigs of memory and 7800GT(X) or X1600/1800XL/XT cards to completely enjoy the game.

It should be playable on an AMD s939 cpu, 1Gig memory, a 7200rpm SATA drives, and for video either ATI X800XL / Nvidia 6800GT as the bare minimums.

His best bet might be to hold off for the new consoles -- XBox 360 and then grab the game for it.
Actually, my 9700 Pro is an absolute beast in BF2 - Medium detail but great shader effects and smooth as butter.

It's Day of Defeat: Source that's killing me...That's why I'm getting an X800XL.

My 9700 Pro can barely push 40fps @ 1024x768 when DirectX 7 mode is forced on.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Descent said:
I'm going to tell you something about Sapphire video cards Junglizm. They suck. They are the PC Chips of the video card world - they lie, steal, cheat, and fraud. I'd know - my 9700 Pro is made by them.
My 9800nonPro, 9700Pro, and 9700nonPro were Sapphire cards. They did not and do not suck. I have three times the sample rate as you, so I must know more. All of them were NewEgg Refurbs. I have no issues at all with them. Maybe you should stop blaming the hardware and look at the commonality of all your hardware failures. I'll give you a hint.

Descent said:
Actually, my 9700 Pro is an absolute beast in BF2 - Medium detail but great shader effects and smooth as butter.
That's a lie. You only think it's smooth because you haven't seen exactly how well it runs on a real gaming rig.

Descent

Hella Constipated
BRiT said:
My 9800nonPro, 9700Pro, and 9700nonPro were Sapphire cards. They did not and do not suck. I have three times the sample rate as you, so I must know more. All of them were NewEgg Refurbs. I have no issues at all with them. Maybe you should stop blaming the hardware and look at the commonality of all your hardware failures. I'll give you a hint.
Mine was also a Newegg refurb...

Do yours have the EtronTech RAM or the Samsung? Mine has the EtronTech and it's absolute shit.

Also, a heads up on this thing - the image quality is so poor, I slapped in a 128MB 9600XT, my old card, and it was like I upgraded. The VGA output is fuzzy as hell.

Also, my RAM comes at a default clock of 297MHz, 13MHz below ATi spec. And it does not clock to it's rated speed of 350MHz.

Also, the stock cooler was dinkier than a White Castle Slider. It did fail on me, but it was nothing special and never really was.

And it hasn't failed, it works perfectly, even when the fan failed and the heatsink gave me a second degree burn.

And I'm also 100% positive this is a 256-bit card...Perhaps you'd like to tell me why Sapphire was the only company to ship 9800 Pro's with 128-bit memory, making them like nothing but 9600 Pros performance wise?

See where I'm getting at with these guys? I don't care if you've had a larger sampling - for the most part Sapphire cards just aren't up there with the rest of 'em. You probobly got their higher end ones. But by the time I could get this the good one I wanted with Samsung RAM was gone.

You are the only guy I know who is a Sapphire fan - every other person I know who uses ATi avoids them like a herpes infected hooker.

They have a tendency to put shitty memory and coolers on their products. And my 9700 Pro ain't even a reference design for fucks sake, the fucking thing has a jumper to select NTSC/PAL TV Output. I've never seen an R3xx based card with this PCB size, shape, and layout besides my model. EVER.

Here's a pic:

That's what it looks like out of the box. Mine has HEAVILY upgraded cooling. I even cooled the MOSFET heat spreader with Zalman RAMsinks and the entire card generates next to no heat now. The core has a Vantec IceBerq4 mirror finish GPU cooler and all the RAM chips and sinked with Vantec/Zalman sinks.
BRiT said:
That's a lie. You only think it's smooth because you haven't seen exactly how well it runs on a real gaming rig.
True. You don't need to spend two minutes formatting the font red, I can sense you're pissed

Jung

???
Premium
Can we have one thread without your mindless posturing and fanboying, Descent? It's really annoying, please stop.

tw33k

Theoretical Realist
junglizm said:
Can we have one thread without your mindless posturing and fanboying, Descent? It's really annoying, please stop.
No shit. Is this 2003? Any of you heard of SLI? Probably don't even have a PCIe slot in your board.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
tw33k said:
No shit. Is this 2003? Any of you heard of SLI? Probably don't even have a PCIe slot in your board.
Yes, back when it was new in 1997. So what's your point?

Jung

???
Premium
tw33k said:
SLI is worthless e-penis garbage; it's never rendered any worthwhile performance gains. It wasn't worthwhile when Voodooo did it, and it hasn't been worthwhile since Nvidia did it.

SO, to echo Brit's question, what's your point? Sounds like more posturing to me...

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
junglizm said:
SLI is worthless e-penis garbage; it's never rendered any worthwhile performance gains. It wasn't worthwhile when Voodooo did it, and it hasn't been worthwhile since Nvidia did it.
Besides that it doesn't work all that well all the time anyway. What cracks me up is that for the added cost of an SLI board and 2 Paired cards you could have just bought a regular board with a killer single card in the first place.

Jung

???
Premium
I have a friend who spent well over a grand on his SLI motherboard and dual 6800 Ultras. Now, less than 4 months later, my 7800GTX beats his set up hands down, with a single card and at less than half the cost.

SLI is worthless, unless you're going for epenis points.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Descent said:

It's Day of Defeat: Source that's killing me...That's why I'm getting an X800XL.

My 9700 Pro can barely push 40fps @ 1024x768 when DirectX 7 mode is forced on.
Here's how the newer cards perform in various games, resolutions, and image quality settings: Anandtech Review Part Two From there you can see how much better the other cards perform in BattleField 2.

Descent

Hella Constipated
junglizm said:
I have a friend who spent well over a grand on his SLI motherboard and dual 6800 Ultras. Now, less than 4 months later, my 7800GTX beats his set up hands down, with a single card and at less than half the cost.

SLI is worthless, unless you're going for epenis points.
Word, SLI is worthless now but in 1998, was actually very good with dual Voodoo2's.

Just a heads up.

Also, as a response to your previous post: I'm not a fanboy with computer hardware. Whoever has the better product wins me over. And that's why I'm anti-Sapphire/Intel.

If either of those companies can produce better stuff, I'm in.

BRiT said:
Yes, back when it was new in 1997. So what's your point?
I would sooo rep you for that if I could :rotflmao:. And I can see you love the color red.