WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Upgrade Advice

Descent

Hella Constipated
I don't think my dual 2600+/9700 Pro rig has enough juice to jizz todays games out at breakneck speeds.

I don't know if I should upgrade, or buy a cheap XP, and run my Chaintech board dual channel.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
What the hell are you talking about?

Dual 2600+ procs and a 9700 Pro can run any game at breakneck speeds. Assuming the rest of your kit is up to the same level.

What problems are you seeing with THAT setup? I assume you're not trying to game in 98 lite right?

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
i think that his problem is that he can name hardware off the top of his head but he can't configure his shit to work correctly.

tzedek

Original Member
you dont even play today's games. you play freespace

Descent

Hella Constipated
I want to play HL2DM.

My problem is memory bandwidth...The 762MPX is only PC2100. And for some reason, it runs mah shit slower.

Actually, I think I'm just going to slap in my Chaintech 7NIL1 tomorrow, and run 512 MB of PC3200 in dual channel. I get 60fps then. I'll shelve the dual board for now.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Hypertron said:
i think that his problem is that he can name hardware off the top of his head but he can't configure his shit to work correctly.
Pfft. You wish :rolleyes: . I have the BIOS set up like a champ. I also run Cacheman XP and 2000 Pro.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I'd feel sorry for you. But then again I remember trying to play games on an 8Mhz 286 with 640k of RAM and watching my buddies smoke my ass with there 386 systems and 256 color monitors.

So fuck it. You got more computer than I did when I was your age. You got more computer problems too. It's a good idea to get your system stable and then not fuck with it. Get a second "fuckable" system for that shit.

And if you scrap the Dual Proc board whatcha gonna do with the second processor?

I mean damn boy, from reading your posts you've got at least 2 NICE boards, apparently 3 difference processors (a Duron and 2 Athlon XPs) PC2100 RAM AND PC3200 RAM.

So what's the hangup on two systems? Don't tell me you can't afford a case or something.

Diesel

Clitpickle
UberSkippy said:
So what's the hangup on two systems? Don't tell me you can't afford a case or something.
It's framerate/penis envy. I've seen it plenty of times from my days hanging out on the hardware forums. It's a prominent ailment among the fanboys.

The sad part is that it'll take him a good 5-10 years to realize how much of a waste of time, money, and energy this whole endeavor will be. And by then, he'll have a huge stockpile of parts, systems, and dead hardware that are just sitting around doing absolutely nothing.
And the really sad part is that, because he thinks he knows more than he really does, he's so closed-minded that he refuses to listen to those who actually do know what they're doing based on experience.

It's the classic case of "I'm trying to prove my dick is bigger than yours by getting 2 more fps than you."

Descent> Have fun with that. Call us when you realize it's pointless.

Descent

Hella Constipated
No, Diesel, you got me all wrong.

I have a second case. And the Chaintech board is in it.

I bought dual CPU's because I - and the retarded community on 2CPU.com's forums said it would be faster for games.

It wasn't. I seriously don't need the second processor.

This board runs games HORRIBLY. I still have no clue why; even with one CPU disabled it runs it worse than my Chaintech does with same-speed RAM put in.

I've heard nothing but awesome things about AMD's Socket A chipset memory bandwidth; but my nForce2 Ultra 400 based Chaintech is still smoking it!

I just want to play games...And they currently run like shit in my setup.

I'm absolutely baffled. I'll give HL2DM one more run on my dual board today. It might be different after a few months, judging by the OS config changes and shit I've done.

If the framerate is less than 60, I'll shelve it until games that actually get a boost from SMP come out.

Stop being such a meanie!

bigck3000

The Iron Lung
somebody call Morelos' lawyers....I'm suing Diesel for having an avatar that made me go into seizures.

Diesel

Clitpickle
bigck3000 said:
somebody call Morelos' lawyers....I'm suing Diesel for having an avatar that made me go into seizures.
I banish dirt to the land of wind and ghosts.

Descent

Hella Constipated
I'm just frustrated that I can't seem to find a review comparing the Athlon XP to the Athlon 64.

It's usually done with a Northwood/Prescott P4.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I'll tell you right now the Athlon x64 isn't worth the money. I've been dorking around with them all week and frankly I'd stick with a cheaper proc for now.

Until we see what MS is going to do with their x64 OS's the Athlond 64 isn't worth it. Right now the x64 OS's are SLOW as shit. And they won't run every 32 bit application as promised either. I realize MS hasn't optimzed the OS's that are in beta yet but until they have I'd hold off.

A dual processor board probably won't run games any better than a single. Most games these days are pretty CPU intensive yes. But they're not configured for dual processors so the OS is going to have a tough time of making that work. On top of that, games are far more graphics intensive than CPU intensive these days.

If you're seeing poor game performance I'd look first at your GPU. Yeah it might be a nice card but if you've got it configured wrong it's not gonna work. On top of that, how fast is your hard drive? Slow system performance can come from an under performing HD as well. Don't blame the board, swallow your pride and check to see what you've fucked up. A CMOS setting, a video card missing it's supporting power supply, a loose cable... do your home work.

If I were you I'd stop spending all the money on these systems and just settle the fuck down. If you're chasing the absolute "best system" out there you might as well go chase a rainbow.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Uber said:
If I were you I'd stop spending all the money on these systems and just settle the fuck down. If you're chasing the absolute "best system" out there you might as well go chase a rainbow.
That's what I've been trying to do.

Everything is configured A-1 SUPAR!

Regarding the whole XP vs. A64 issue, thanks. I find it funny that the reviewers don't compare it to the previous generation chip, and instead a P4.

Don't they realize that most Intel fanatics around are the most closed minded people out there :rolleyes: ? They seem to be reeling from the old Via/SiS days of the XP, at least the ones I've seen.

I have one friend who hates AMD with a passion.

Ironically, the only AMD shit he's used is the K6-2, and a 1.3 Duron Morgan.

Of course, the Duron is running off an ECS board ;).

My friend is kind of one. He bought an Intel board because he wanted SLI.

Of course, he didn't know the nForce4 SLI was out at the time. Have fun gaming with your LGA775 shit mobile!

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
Personally, I don't give a shit what processor it's got in it. If it's reliable and cost effective I don't give a rats ass.

Everyone makes such a big deal out of Intel vs AMD. Give me a mother board with a good chipset, nice features and a realistic price tag and I'll go either way.

I'm just a CPU whore.

Comparing the XP to the new x64's doesn't do a lot of good. You're looking at basically the same chip, one's just capable of addressing a whole fucking lot more RAM. It doesn't really run faster or do anything better. The real issue is that what the x64 procs CAN do the software doesn't support yet. Until it does, there's no benefit for the newer processor. Once the software DOES support, the prices will have come down or the speeds will have gone up. Or both.

</rant>

Tenderony
For gaming isn't it more to do with the graphics card than the processor?

</rant>

Diesel

Clitpickle
Basically, yeah. The GPU will have a much more profound impact on game performance than the CPU will.
A faster CPU will introduce minor performance gains with the same GPU. A faster GPU will introduce major performance differences with the same CPU.

Modern CPUs are so far above and beyond the performance requirements for most games anyway.
Doom3's recommended system requirements specify a 2GHz or 2500+, with "worry-free" specs listed at 3GHz or 3000+.
HL2's recommended system requirements specify a 2.4GHz .

IOW, anything more than a 2GHz and you're golden for either of the two games that are currently the most intensive in terms of system hardware. And 2GHz CPUs are fairly outdated by today's standards. I was running a 2.4GHz close to 2 years ago.
The GPU will make a much greater difference.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Gonna go take a dump.

Junglizm: Stop making worthless fucking posts like this.