WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines US aims to sharply cut Iraq force within a year

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - The United States hopes to sharply reduce its forces in Iraq by the middle of next year if all goes according to plan, its top commander on the ground said on Wednesday.

But underscoring the challenges faced by the new Iraqi government, al Qaeda in Iraq said it had killed two Algerian envoys kidnapped last week in a spate of attacks that are driving diplomats out of Baghdad.

At a briefing with visiting Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, General George Casey said he expected troop cuts after a referendum on a new constitution due in October and an election for a new leader in December.

"I do believe that if the political process continues to go positively, if the developments with the (Iraqi) security forces continue to go as it is going, I do believe we will still be able to make fairly substantial reductions after these elections -- in the spring and summer of next year," he said.

It appeared to be the first time since the insurgency worsened in April that top Pentagon officials have suggested a timeline for withdrawal.

Casey's remarks came as a new poll showed most Americans think the United States will lose the war in Iraq.

Early this year Casey made a similar prediction, but U.S. officials have avoided suggesting a timetable since violence worsened sharply after the new government took power in April.

Hours later a suicide bomber blew himself up at the entrance to a Baghdad hospital, killing at least five people and wounding 10, police sources said.

Although many Iraqis resent the presence of U.S. troops, they fear an escalation in suicide bombings, shootings and kidnappings, and possibly civil war, if the Americans pull out before Iraqi forces can stand up to the Sunni-led insurgency.

Algeria confirmed on Wednesday that its two envoys were dead, after a statement posted on a Web site often used by the group led by Abu Musab al-Zarqawi said they had been killed.

"The hostage-takers have cowardly assassinated our two representatives in Baghdad, Ali Belaroussi and Azzedine Belkadi, thus carrying out their despicable threats despite all the appeals..." President Abdelaziz Bouteflika's office said.

The authenticity of the statement from al Qaeda in Iraq claiming responsibility could not be verified and it was not accompanied by a video. Earlier this month, the group said it had kidnapped and killed Egyptian mission chief Ihab el-Sherif.

AMERICANS DUBIOUS ON WAR

President Bush said in a primetime speech last month he would withdraw American forces as soon as Iraqis were prepared to take over responsibility for security. But he said it would be dangerous to announce a timetable.

LINK

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Isn't sharply cutting Iraq force within a year a timetable?

We've certainly fucked that place up enough, and besides, we're going to need the money for our next invasion...

R

RedOctober

Hehe...

Look at what you get if you have been busy to fight communism the past 50 years.
There's no more communism, so the gap has been filled by... Guess what..

The Russians fought the fundies in Afghanistan..
And the Americans didn't like that.

Now they are in deep shit themselves.

You know what?
Even the Romans couldn't get them down, and they nailed them bastards to the cross by the bushes.
The Roman Empire crumbled to pieces anyway.
The British didn't succeed, and left because they hadn't a single nail to scratch their ass with. Colonializm brings poverty because you can fuck a peasant, but not an entire people.

Hater808

The hate still Shapes me
US cutting forces in iraq while bush in office. Is this a joke, don't shit me you got this from fark.com right? in the totally fucking ridicules category. Anyway on a serius note I don't think we have the balls to pull out now. We have already dug ourselves in, now where going to try to dig ourselves out of the hole. We need to grow some balls and say we fuck our bad here more aid and a friend, and try to set there government off on the right foot.

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
Hater808 said:
US cutting forces in iraq while bush in office. Is this a joke, don't shit me you got this from fark.com right?
Read the link, it's Reuters...

America plans to cut its Iraq force? Well, does this mean the terrorists won? I mean, if America is backing down, then hasn't Abu-Musab Al-Zarquawi achieved his aim? So terrorism does work, good to know...

R

RedOctober

If you want out of the mess without losing face, do so by planning a "negative advance".
It's what George Orwell predicted.

Bush has to do something like that, if he wants to live after he lost his job as a lousy president. :)

canadian_pov said:
America plans to cut its Iraq force? Well, does this mean the terrorists won? I mean, if America is backing down, then hasn't Abu-Musab Al-Zarquawi achieved his aim? So terrorism does work, good to know...
You're just being difficult :)
Honestly, our leaving Iraq has never been about whether or not the 'terrorists' win or lose...at least from a political standpoint. Bush has backed himself into a corner and, even if he wants to stay and kill more 'terrorists' he has to leave as soon as the government can reasonably stand on its own two feet. If he doesn't he won't have a leg to stand on in either the world community or here in the good old USA. Before you slam that statement, you have to admit that Bush has his supporters both abroad and at home. But he risks losing even those if he screws it up again...then all he'll have are the Christian Fundamentalists...if they're back from Zarquawi's spring training camps. Crap...I've gone off on a mini-rant and now I've lost my place...LOL
Damn you, canadian_pov!

FlipTheState said:
You're just being difficult :)
Honestly, our leaving Iraq has never been about whether or not the 'terrorists' win or lose...at least from a political standpoint. Bush has backed himself into a corner and, even if he wants to stay and kill more 'terrorists' he has to leave as soon as the government can reasonably stand on its own two feet. If he doesn't he won't have a leg to stand on in either the world community or here in the good old USA. Before you slam that statement, you have to admit that Bush has his supporters both abroad and at home. But he risks losing even those if he screws it up again...then all he'll have are the Christian Fundamentalists...if they're back from Zarquawi's spring training camps. Crap...I've gone off on a mini-rant and now I've lost my place...LOL
Damn you, canadian_pov!
Hee hee hee :cool: