WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines US military death toll in Iraq reaches 2,000

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
BAGHDAD (Reuters) - The death of an army sergeant pushed the U.S. military death toll in Iraq to the landmark figure of 2,000 on Tuesday, but President George W. Bush warned more sacrifices were needed before U.S. troops could come home.

The news cast a shadow over the final results of the Iraqi referendum, which showed that voters had ratified a new constitution, despite bitter opposition in Sunni Arab areas where insurgents are battling to topple the Baghdad government.
The Pentagon said Staff Sergeant George Alexander, 34, died on Saturday of injuries sustained eight days ago when a roadside bomb blew up near his vehicle in the town of Samarra.
The new death toll was a grim reminder that although some progress has been made on Iraq's political front, much work lies ahead in halting insurgent attacks. Increasingly sophisticated roadside bombs are responsible for many of the U.S. deaths in Iraq.
Despite falling public support among the American public for the war, which has been one factor pushing down Bush's popularity in public opinion polls, the president indicated on Tuesday there would be no change in strategy.
"This war will require more sacrifice, more time and more resolve," he told military wives shortly before the Pentagon announcement.

LINK
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

"more sacrifices" what a joke.

Bush's Folly - its a sad day...

RageAgainst

Chaotic Neutral
I think we should ask ourselves: are there more activists and radicals in Iraq ready to die to kill a few americans now than in 2003?

I'd say their numbers are just getting bigger and bigger.

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
I find it sad the death toll gets top press when many more thousands have been maimed and fucked for life over this. Casualties are high, much higher than 2000. All in all we should pull the fuck out. We should not have gone there to begin with.

Still, we'll be there for a long long time.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
JLXC said:
I find it sad the death toll gets top press when many more thousands have been maimed and fucked for life over this. Casualties are high, much higher than 2000. All in all we should pull the fuck out. We should not have gone there to begin with.
This I agree with.

I recently was in a local chopper shop picking up some bits and peices for my bike. The owner tells me to hang around and have a beer and I'll get to be part of something cool.

I hang around for about half an hour and in comes a guy on a very slick looking Harley-Davidson RoadKing (about $30,000.00 in case you were wondering) with custom pain and some other obvious work. He starts telling a story of his buddy Ron, who had worked, and saved his whole life to buy this bike. It was his dream. He finally acheived it. He bought his dream bike and managed to put 1,500 miles on it before shipping out to Iraq.

In Iraq Ron lost his right leg. He was obviously distraut. He called his wife and asked her to sell the bike. "Just get rid of it. I don't want to see it again." So his buddy bought the bike for $20,000. But the real story is what happened next.

In comes Ron with his wife. He's not happy that he's here in the bike shop. He's on a prostetic leg and can't ride. So his buddy (who's name I never did get) asks him to come outside and check out the work he's had done on Ron's old Harley. You could see that Ron didn't want to go... hell it was his dream and now someone else has it. But he cowboys up and goes outside.

Outside Ron's buddy showes him the killer custom pain job, the tricked out pipes, new bars, new grips and finally the new linkage that allows a man with no right leg to ride. Ron's buddy and the shop had customized the bike so that Ron could have his dream again. The shop did the work, pain and parts included, for free.

While it's a great story it shouldn't have to be told. Ron didn't need to loose his leg. Not for the sake of whatever it is we're fighting for over there.

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
Compare that with the amount of innocent Iraqi civilians that died and it's a pittance.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I would like to see a total list of casualties. All US service men killed, All US service men injured, all Iraqi's killed, all Iraqis injured.

In the mean time CNN has a good article today that serves to remind us that the guys and girls dieing over there aren't just nameless, faceless soldiers.

Two thousand dead Americans, two-zero-zero-zero. For what? So that Iraq doesn't sell its oil to the Chinese (which Saddam was planning to do)?

America has been pissing off the world for a long time now, and the world is starting to fight back.

Stardust

Being naked just feels so a-peeling
UberSkippy said:
This I agree with.

I recently was in a local chopper shop picking up some bits and peices for my bike. The owner tells me to hang around and have a beer and I'll get to be part of something cool.

I hang around for about half an hour and in comes a guy on a very slick looking Harley-Davidson RoadKing (about $30,000.00 in case you were wondering) with custom pain and some other obvious work. He starts telling a story of his buddy Ron, who had worked, and saved his whole life to buy this bike. It was his dream. He finally acheived it. He bought his dream bike and managed to put 1,500 miles on it before shipping out to Iraq.

In Iraq Ron lost his right leg. He was obviously distraut. He called his wife and asked her to sell the bike. "Just get rid of it. I don't want to see it again." So his buddy bought the bike for $20,000. But the real story is what happened next.

In comes Ron with his wife. He's not happy that he's here in the bike shop. He's on a prostetic leg and can't ride. So his buddy (who's name I never did get) asks him to come outside and check out the work he's had done on Ron's old Harley. You could see that Ron didn't want to go... hell it was his dream and now someone else has it. But he cowboys up and goes outside.

Outside Ron's buddy showes him the killer custom pain job, the tricked out pipes, new bars, new grips and finally the new linkage that allows a man with no right leg to ride. Ron's buddy and the shop had customized the bike so that Ron could have his dream again. The shop did the work, pain and parts included, for free.

While it's a great story it shouldn't have to be told. Ron didn't need to loose his leg. Not for the sake of whatever it is we're fighting for over there.

...I got really cold when I read that..and so sad story and great friendship..wars,hate so sad..:(

JLXC said:

Still, we'll be there for a long long time.

I agree with you in regards to the maimed soldiers. There is absolutely not enough coverage on the aftermath of those that are able to come home, aside from the occasional documentary on Discovery Channel.

I am not sure I agree with the idea of pulling out right now. Emotionally, that is a great idea, but there are ramifications that we must consider. The big green devil (money) is one of them. The capitalist pigs my feel that the loss of life is worth the economic gain by remaining in Iraq. *cough* (oil) Washington may feel that it can continue to try and brainwash people regarding the war but it appears that even the borderline 70 iq bearing citizens that voted for the devil a second time now realize that this 'war on terror' is not what it is. If it were truely a war on terror, we would apply it to terrorists world wide...ie. FARC, MUJAHADIN, ETC..