WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines USA plans to build a 3200km long fence on mexican border

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
The US congress, especially it´s rebuplicans (eg. Duncan Hunter from California) are seriously trying to get through an idea of 3200km long fence on the mexican border. It is to have two electronic surveillance-systems, steel-net and barbwire. Cost-evaluates are about 8 billion dollars..

Duncan Hunter says that is not only a matter of illegal immigrants, but also of terrorists. He says that USA really has no other choice to repair it´s leaking border.

Every year a million mexican illegally enter the US.

-------

Hmm.. reminds me of China over 2000 years ago, when they started to build borderlines to isolate from neighbouring countries..

Well. this possibly is a weird solution to this problem, as it would also have running costs, camera-maintananc, people who watch the surveillance footage and so forth... USA´s manitory situation does not need this right now.

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
Well I do belive this is the 400th "let's just build a fence" thing. And I have a feeling that "estamated cost" is going to be the maintaining price, the build price will be alot higher.

OmegaZeto

Eyeless Pilot
I bet it would be a lot more efficient to spend that 8 billion on sniper rifles and ammo. Then they could get volunteers like me to hang out in towers along the border and "thin the herd". Shit, it sure would create some jobs for REAL Americans.

RetArt

A Rampant Vagitarian
Well, I have a link for a finnish national newspaper, but that wont do you any good.. :)

I´ll search.

ChilianFuckFace

Banned - What an Asshat!
OmegaZeto said:
I bet it would be a lot more efficient to spend that 8 billion on sniper rifles and ammo. Then they could get volunteers like me to hang out in towers along the border and "thin the herd". Shit, it sure would create some jobs for REAL Americans.
Your comment shows us how ignorant and stupid you are.

Your solution is to shoot every single Mexican or south American that tries to cross the border. Now that would solve every single problem we American have.

First of all, most Mexicans work on jobs most Americans do not want to do. Most Americans have the opportunity for a better, to go to a decent college and get a good education. Yet thousands and thousands of Americans drop out of school and get simple jobs. Then when someone is willing to work harder or cheaper they complain that people are taking their jobs.

I would love to see a day when every single immigrant in this country stops working for one month. Then we will see people crying for people to cross the border.

We immigrants do all the shitty ass jobs you do not want to do. You don't see the big corporations complaining because they are getting cheap labors.

I am not condoning illegal immigration, but there are others ways to handle this type of situation. Killing them will only get all the south Americans country hating American even more. Not to mention it will show the world how dumb we Americans are.

BTW: I am an American, my parents were immigrants.

NEG REPPED! < I am so not used to giving bad rep, I repped you instead. But the feeling still the same.

Easty

Click click boom
ChilianFuckFace said:
We immigrants do all the shitty ass jobs you do not want to do. You don't see the big corporations complaining because they are getting cheap labors.
well, even though it is an obvious statement, it is also a fact. i give props to immigrants when it comes to work ethic. this summer i got new siding put on my house. a group of hispanic people (about 5 or 6 of them) were assigned to the job. the job would've normally taken around a week to complete, they had it done in 3 days.

i would say that we hand out more visas, but there's already a problem with overpopulation. building a fence like that may be a good idea, but it would cost an assload, and im sure there'd be some way around it. and sniping them is just one of the most retarded ideas i've ever heard of. put yourself in their shoes, they just want a better life in another country, and their visas aren't getting accepted, it may turn into something much worse than it has to be. with our system today, we basically leave them with no other choice.

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
I have mixed emotions on this one really. On the one hand I agree that many immigrants take the lower paying jobs that US born Citizens don't want. That's good.

On the flip side I live not too far from an area rampant with illegal immigrants from Mexico. Many of them (by no means the majority) are here are career criminals. They commit a crime and then just go back to Mexico for a while. That's bad.

Tighter security controls on the US border with Mexico are very much in order. What that means I don't know. Randomly shooting people crossing the border is quite obviously a non-starter. Besides being illegal it'd create a major international crisis.

Sure a Fence is a good start. I think a better start would be to help bring Mexcio out of second or third world status. If the quality of life there were to improve the US wouldn't be so damned tempting.

countrygrl

Highly Excitable
It's a dumb idea and a waste of money. How is that going to stop illegal immigrants who are coming through tunnels form getting into the country. How is it going to stop the illegal immigrants that are being smuggled across the border in trucks etc?

What they do need to do is top giving illegal immigrants welfare benefits and when they need healthcare then give them enough to get them well enough to deport them and do so. I don't think that illegal immigrants should be able to come over here and have a baby and that child automatically become an American citizen. And it's not because I really care if they are a American citizen or not but the parents of those children are using the citizenship of the child to exploit the system.

I have no problem at all with immigrants. People who have followed the laws and are here legally working hard to make their life better.

OmegaZeto

Eyeless Pilot
ChilianFuckFace said:
Your comment shows us how ignorant and stupid you are.

Your solution is to shoot every single Mexican or south American that tries to cross the border. Now that would solve every single problem we American have.

First of all, most Mexicans work on jobs most Americans do not want to do. Most Americans have the opportunity for a better, to go to a decent college and get a good education. Yet thousands and thousands of Americans drop out of school and get simple jobs. Then when someone is willing to work harder or cheaper they complain that people are taking their jobs.

I would love to see a day when every single immigrant in this country stops working for one month. Then we will see people crying for people to cross the border.

I am not condoning illegal immigration, but there are others ways to handle this type of situation. Killing them will only get all the south Americans country hating American even more. Not to mention it will show the world how dumb we Americans are.

BTW: I am an American, my parents were immigrants.

NEG REPPED! < I am so not used to giving bad rep, I repped you instead. But the feeling still the same.
Dude, I could go on a tirade and call you a fucking ignorant faggot moron or something, but I feel instead that I should be civil and and kindly explain that my post was completely without seriousness or intent. I would NEVER shoot a man for anything less than to save another human life, and I'd probably chicken out on that too. If I did not make it clearer that I was not serious and did not actually mean that post, I apologize.

vIoLeNcE0969

Sir.vIoLeNcE
countrygrl said:
It's a dumb idea and a waste of money. How is that going to stop illegal immigrants who are coming through tunnels form getting into the country. How is it going to stop the illegal immigrants that are being smuggled across the border in trucks etc?

What they do need to do is top giving illegal immigrants welfare benefits and when they need healthcare then give them enough to get them well enough to deport them and do so. I don't think that illegal immigrants should be able to come over here and have a baby and that child automatically become an American citizen. And it's not because I really care if they are a American citizen or not but the parents of those children are using the citizenship of the child to exploit the system.

I have no problem at all with immigrants. People who have followed the laws and are here legally working hard to make their life better.
-it wont stop illigal immigration completly,but it will slow it down tremendusly.
-i agree about the welfare and citizen bullshit.
-u are correct though about immigrants helping the us by taking the jobs we wont.

Spikey

Supreme Leader
Agreed. Us Americans don't realize what an impact immigrants have on our community. I hear people all the time talking about "they are ruining our economy". Bullshit. I had my old roof taken off and had a new one put on. It took 5 hours and for FREE they put a roof on out shed and doghouse. There were about 20 honest, hardworking guys up there working their asses of for mediocre pay. But, i have to half-agree that most of them aren't legal citizens and don't pay taxes but thats mostly our fault. If we would help out over there once in a while we woudnt be having this problem now would we?
Exactly my point.

R

RedOctober

All this illegal alien stuff is a piece of shit!

In the Netherlands, it's just the same as in America. Take the farmers who grow crops that need to be picked by hand. They don't pay well, are nagging all day they can't get labor to do it. So he hires illegals to do the job.

In the supermarket, you don't buy oranges that are expensive, so you keep that system going on yourselves.
The government condems illegal labor, only for the fact that they don't get taxes from them. The companies love it to get more illegals into the country, because the more workers there are, the cheaper the wages become, due to the competition between workers.

It's a bloody fascist method of getting cheap wageslaves into a country, and in the same time giving them a bad treatment.
That keeps them shut up.

But there are other ways. There are farmers working in a CSA farm.
Customer Supported Agriculture.
As a consumer you buy shares of the farm, and work there if you need food.
It's back to basics, help the farmer a bit, have profit from it, and it's fun.

Info: http://organicconsumers.org/

Tech3

MASTER TECH
we dont need a fence, just put security camaras and more the national gaurd

DirtyBird

Divides by Zero
I liked one comedian's idea of having a moat of fire. :D

I guess that's not exactly practical, though... So how about a big electric fence eh? :D

Shoot a few,

bullets are cheaper than fencing..............:gun:

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
vorant1 said:
bullets are cheaper than fencing..............:gun:
You're at the very least an asshole. More like a racist asshole.

Killing people is NOT a solution to the problem. Thinking that it could be is assinine. Joking about it is juvenile.

If you can't post a serious discussion in the issues forum, I'd suggest you not post here at all. I'm not a mod so I can't tell you not too but it's pretty clear in the Issues Forum rules posted at the top.

VolumeOne

Clitpickle
Not trying to go off topic now, but...do you know what would happen if some German politician suggested building a fence along Germany's borders? He would be called a racist and a nazi, and for good reason. I don't understand how Americans who have fought so (seemingly) successfully against fascism and racism can get away suggesting building a fence to isolate themselves from the "less worthy". Even more so with some of the comments posted here.
The American "problem" with immigrants (by the way, remember who founded the USA?) is not just American; every industrialized nation in the world has millions of immigrants trying to get in (anyone heard about that Spanish thingy in North Africa?) - in the US, it's Mexicans, in France and Spain it's Africans and in Germany it's Turks and Poles. Well, what can I say...we need them!

But I guess it's just the dumb minority who talk of building fences and shooting people trying to get a second chance in life. Must be...

kindbud

Banned - What an Asshat!
"It actually encouraged more people to enter the country because what we did is we took away the ability of a worker to come into the country and cross back and forth fairly freely. So they started bringing their families in and actually domiciling in the United States with their entire family because they knew they couldn’t go back and forth," says Reed.

"The message that we’re sending them is if you can get past the obstacle course at the border, you’re essentially home free. You have pretty much unrestricted access to our labor market and there are employers out there eager for your labor," [Wayne Cornelius]says.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/08/60minutes/main1108476.shtml

interesting piece i just saw on 60 minutes.

Kaiskitten

I hope you die slow.
I think that both parts of this "problem" should do something.

1. mexicans should try to get here the right way and follow the rules and everything else.

2. The people who want the fence or whatever should just shut up cause whats that gonna do just make us find another way to get here.

my parents came over here that way...yep "hoped over the fence" and now they're citizens and paying taxes.

Don't get me wrong i love mexico! but America has many more chances for you to have a semi-happy life.