WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Offbeat Va. Laptop Sale Turns Into a Stampede

voiceofreason

Seeker of Truth
RICHMOND, Va. - A rush to purchase $50 used laptops turned into a violent stampede Tuesday, with people getting thrown to the pavement, beaten with a folding chair and nearly driven over. One woman went so far as to wet herself rather than surrender her place in line.

"This is total, total chaos," said Latoya Jones, 19, who lost one of her flip-flops in the ordeal and later limped around on the sizzling blacktop with one foot bare.
An estimated 5,500 people turned out at the Richmond International Raceway in hopes of getting their hands on one of the 4-year-old Apple iBooks. The Henrico County school system was selling 1,000 of the computers to county residents. New iBooks cost between $999 and $1,299.

Officials opened the gates at 7 a.m., but some already had been waiting since 1:30 a.m. When the gates opened, it became a terrifying mob scene.

LINK
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All that for 4-year-old Apple iBooks?

How can people be that fucked up?

Jung

???
Premium
How ironic... I saw a post about this sale a few weeks ago on another forum I visit.

This just strengthens my opinion that people in general are worthless. It's only on occasion that you find decent people, not the other way around like sound many people want to believe.

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
It's always something goofy that mobs do stupid shit over. 4 year old laptops, 1000 dollers, what the hell is this shit. I bought a decent laptop for 1100 dollers and i didn't hurt anyone. Things like this don't make sence to me.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
I love public chaos... I'm surprised there wasnt something that bad when i bought my tv... it was already black friday and the store was pushing like $500 tv's for 199...not as much as a glorious price difference as the laptops but the store was already bombed just for black friday... they quelled traffic a bit by not having the TV's at the store... The store sold the tv's and gave you a receipt to take to a warehouse down the street...