WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

VBB mod question / fao: BRiT/Jason

Jung

???
Premium
NOTE: this is a mod for MY forum, not a request for anything on wtf.com.

I'm trying to edit the "originally posted by" text from the quote box. I'm running version 3.0.3.
junglizm said:
quoted text
To something like below.
junglizm came out of the closet to say:
quoted text
This is a pic of it in action, albeit this is on vb 2.x.

Below is the code that's in the bbcode_quote template. I originally thought i could just edit the [originally_posted_by_x] line, but that didn't work.
When i changed that string to anything else it just reverts to a normal quote box with no name.([ quote] [ /quote])
Any idea's on what I'd need to edit to accomplish this? The exact quote text isn't important, I'm just using that as an example.
PHP:
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; <if condition="$show['iewidthfix']">width: 100%;</if>">
	<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">$vbphrase[quote]:</div>
	<table cellpadding="$stylevar[cellpadding]" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="100%">
	<tr>
		<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">
			<if condition="$show['username']">
				<div><phrase 1="$username">$vbphrase[originally_posted_by_x]</phrase></div>
				<div style="font-style:italic">$message</div>
			<else />
				$message
			</if>
		</td>
	</tr>
	</table>
</div>

Jung

???
Premium
fuck_you said:
do it manually copy and paste.
I asked for help, not some random irrelavant answer. The point is to have the forum software parse the quote text the way i want it. Also, copy and paste doesn't even make sense. This would be for ALL users, not just myself. :rolleyes:

fuck_you

Banned - What an Asshat!
dont neg rep people for trying to help. you showed a example of what you wanted , use that method and just copy and paste what you want there, asking the owners to completly change a part of the script is a lot to ask. But honestly it was low of you to neg rep me for trying to help.

Jung

???
Premium
fuck_you said:
dont neg rep people for trying to help. you showed a example of what you wanted , use that method and just copy and paste what you want there, asking the owners to completly change a part of the script is a lot to ask. But honestly it was low of you to neg rep me for trying to help.
Congradulations on making you're self look stupid. I'm asking about this for use on my forum. Had you completely read my post you'd know that though.
I'm trying to edit the "originally posted by" text from the quote box. I'm running version 3.0.3.
You're "help" was anything but; I'm trying to mod the software, not manually enter a the bb quote code. I don't have access to the admin cp on here, so how would I fail at editing a template? This post was directed to BRiT and Jason since they're admins here. I would've PMed it, but I made a thread in case someone else knew. :rolleyes:
I appreciate you trying to help, but next time please make sure it's relevant to what the person is asking. Not just some randon comment, because you can't read the entire thread.

Jung

???
Premium
Big thanks to Jason for answering my question. The mod is working fine now.

Here's a pic of it in action:

Thanks to the help, I was also able to modify the Edit text.:)

MaxPower

You're my number two
Staff
See if that variable is cross refferenced in any of the other files. You may need to change it elsewhere.

Jung

???
Premium
Jason already answered my question. I ended up having to edit the $vbphrase under the phrase settings. I just searched in the bbcode_quote and bbcode_edit phrases and changed them respectively.
http://www.wtf.com/showpost.php?p=92198&postcount=6

Sidenote: I prefer vbb 2.x now:(

Last edited by a moderator:

tzedek

Original Member
so is that all you can do is change it to something else ie. "came out of the closet to say..." or is it a custom sort of thing? as in each user could put whatever they wanted there.

Jung

???
Premium
Any user can edit the quote message to their liking using bbcode, when they're replying. The point of this mod is to change the forum default though. Also, the edit message is something users wouldn't have access to.