WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Video card installation

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
I've been playing World of Warcraft for the past few weeks, amazing game, though my computer card is having a hard time keeping up.

I plan to put this:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-303&depa=0

Into my HP Pavilion 763n Pentium 4 computer.. Though I don't know the procedure.. If I should uninstall drivers for other things and such, if someone could write up a quick step by step process I would be grateful.

wow! that must be the smallest videocard ever!

Hypertron

Asshole of the Year
pretty good card, ok what your gonna want to do is just turn off your computer, take the screw out that is holding in your current video card, take out the video card, take the new card out of the static protected packaging, and slide it into the slot that you took the old one out of, now your just gonna turn on the computer and put the driver disk that was given to you when you got your new card and install the drivers, so in sort no you don't have to uninstill the current drivers.

EDIT:
oh yeah this is probably a given but remember to screw the new card into place

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Hypertron said:
pretty good card, ok what your gonna want to do is just turn off your computer, take the screw out that is holding in your current video card, take out the video card, take the new card out of the static protected packaging, and slide it into the slot that you took the old one out of, now your just gonna turn on the computer and put the driver disk that was given to you when you got your new card and install the drivers, so in sort no you don't have to uninstill the current drivers.

EDIT:
oh yeah this is probably a given but remember to screw the new card into place
Ok sounds good, though I'm wondering if my card is removeable.. It's an AGP 4x/8x slot but I'm not sure if it's onboard (it's a GeForce 4 MX a.k.a. crap)

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
betrayed said:
Ok sounds good, though I'm wondering if my card is removeable.. It's an AGP 4x/8x slot but I'm not sure if it's onboard (it's a GeForce 4 MX a.k.a. crap)
Ok, if your monitor is hooked up to a port that is not a video card or not in a slot, then you don't really have a video card in there, I mean well you do, but its built in and is not in a slot. If you nothing in the AGP slot, put the new on in that slot, unplug the monitor cord and plug it into the new card after you put everything together of course though. If you do have a card already in the AGP slot, it is removable and you can take it out, you are going to have to if you put the new one is. In some cases there maybe a video card in a PCI Slot, you do want to remove it in order for the AGP one to work. If you don't get what I am fully saying, PM me and I will explain more. I did just finnish build ing my own computer from scratch, I should know.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Radeon 9800SE 128-bit = crap.

We already discussed the card you should get over PM...You know, the 9700 Pro.