WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Video Card?

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
Ok, here is the deal...

My freind has a stedy job working at McDonalds(he is 17), and gets a ok paycheck... Today he bought a new computer case, and is going to get build a new gaming computer. He is looking around for a mother board and stuff, but has no clue what to get as far as a Video card. I told him i wasent very handy with computers so i would ask around. His spending limit is from 50-600 dollars. Now he wants the best in his spending range.

Can any one help?

UberSkippy

a.k.a. FuckTheBullShit
For $600 for a video card he can get pretty much anything he wants.

Tell him to go to here or here and see what he can get.

For that price he can get an Nvidia based 7800GTX card. If he wants ATI he can get an 850XT.

For around $200-$250 he can get the ATI X800 Pro which is a very nice card for the price.

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
How much would this Nvidia 7800GTX Cost??

Also, the box he got was alienwear, but did not come with all the neon flashy stuff... he want to get also!

Jung

???
Premium
I'm_Darth_Vader said:
How much would this Nvidia 7800GTX Cost??
Did you read Uber's post? He included links for you to browse.

The 7800 can be had for as little as $499, but from an off brand. You can get an XFX for $529 though.

Just check around on the sites Uber listed, or check out www.chiefvalue.com, which is NewEgg's sister site.
I'm_Darth_Vader said:
Also, the box he got was alienwear, but did not come with all the neon flashy stuff... he want to get also!
:rofl:

http://www.pctoys.com/
www.xoxide.com

Brazen

BAD, BOLD, BRAZEN
Thank you, i will be sure to let him know of this information...

Descent

Hella Constipated
I'm_Darth_Vader said:
Ok, here is the deal...

My freind has a stedy job working at McDonalds(he is 17), and gets a ok paycheck... Today he bought a new computer case, and is going to get build a new gaming computer. He is looking around for a mother board and stuff, but has no clue what to get as far as a Video card. I told him i wasent very handy with computers so i would ask around. His spending limit is from 50-600 dollars. Now he wants the best in his spending range.

Can any one help?
X800XL. Best deal around - amazing card.

junglizm said:
Ya know, ricer cooling, on average, is a helluva lot better and quieter than non-lighted cooling from what I've seen. My Zalman CNPS3000+ CPU cooler is the exception.

Besides, it's a matter of taste - and it doesn't cost much more to make your PC a work of art anyway. Usually around $30. I think it's a good deal.

Junglizm said:
The 7800 can be had for as little as $499, but from an off brand.
Leadtek is amazing, bra - they give great cooling with their already reliable cards. I agree not enough people use them, and the lack of a software bundle with most models may be why.

Jung

???
Premium
Clarification for Darth: Don't shop at TigerDirect! Don't let your friend shop at TigerDirect!

They are hardly, if ever, cheaper than NewEgg, ChiefValue or ZipZoomFly, and have abysmal service. Just check their reseller ratings(7.24). Now compare them to Chief Value(9.49), New Egg(9.54) and ZipZoomFly(8.69). It's pretty clear who the better companies are.
Descent said:
Ya know, ricer cooling, on average, is a helluva lot better and quieter than non-lighted cooling from what I've seen. My Zalman CNPS3000+ CPU cooler is the exception.
Eh, I won't debate that after market stuff is better, but I've yet to see any proof that the ricey crap is better than the normal stuff.
Besides, it's a matter of taste
Well that's obvious.

I can still have my taste too though.
Leadtek is amazing, bra - they give great cooling with their already reliable cards. I agree not enough people use them, and the lack of a software bundle with most models may be why.
Is Winfast a part of Leadtek? If so, I was unaware of any connection.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Junglizm said:
Is Winfast a part of Leadtek? If so, I was unaware of any connection.
Yeah, Leadtek have had their Winfast line of video cards since the GeForce 2, and possibly the TNT.

Junglizm said:
Eh, I won't debate that after market stuff is better, but I've yet to see any proof that the ricey crap is better than the normal stuff.
A lot of the ricer fans I do see are much quieter and push a helluva lot more air than the non-riced stuff does, which is usually generic or made by Sunon, which take it up the ass with broken galss, because they manufacture jet engines that don't push much air. Hence why cheap OEM companies use them in power supplies.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
A lot of the ricer fans I do see are much quieter and push a helluva lot more air than the non-riced stuff does, which is usually generic or made by Sunon, which take it up the ass with broken galss, because they manufacture jet engines that don't push much air. Hence why cheap OEM companies use them in power supplies.
I don't buy crap though; I generally stick with Zalman or Thermal right. As long as yous stick with name brands, you'll be fine.

Not to mention that the best case fans (Delta, Thermaltake, Cooler Master) are available in plain black plastic. Moreover, the companies that manufacture the ricey stuff generally offer normal products of the same quality. I also think you're forgetting about the server market; a lot of those products are excellent quality and compatable with desktop systems.

That said, I will still contend that the name brand stuff isn't any better or worse.