WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Video Game / Movie Crossovers

Alrighty here...I'm just going to jump right in.

How many great video games have you played? Compare that number to the number of great movies you've seen. Movies that are based on the video games you've seen or played. I thought so. There might be one...perhaps two.

The problem here (that is completely pissing me and millions of other people off), is that everything about them sucks: the script/storyline, the actors/actresses - acting jobs, and ammount of bad press games are receiving because of them.

Let's travel back in time to the mid-80's...anyone remember Super Mario Bros? Yep...everyone's favorite Italian plumber and his sidekick Luigi battled against King Koopa to save the princess and Mario World from destruction.

Timewarp to the early 90's: Enter Super Mario Bros: The Movie. The story was essentially the same, only they had to save BOTH Mario World (only Mario had NO clue it existed...so would that make it 'the other world?'). Luigi was played by an unknown actor who's acting talents were horrible, and the Princess decided to fall in love with Luigi, completely butchering the story-line...and Koopa was killed at the end of the movie...meaning ther wouldn't ever be another Koopa...game over Mario.

Warp yet again to the almost-mid-90's: Enter Tomb Raider...very good game...visuals for the time were great, puzzles and actions applenty, not to mention a hot chick who knew how to use a gun. This game was great (along with the second game...third was a bit sketchy, but still alright...subsequent games tended to suck...back on topic now) in every way it could be.

Timewarp (again) to the turn of the new Millenium...enter Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001). The storyline to this movie completely sucked...ancient and magical artifact, capable of allowing a person to change history and events by travelling through time and watching it rewind before their eyes. The acting jobs were horrendous: the butler was stiff and had only a few minor lines throughout the movie; the tech geek's humor was horrible and he acted too jittery at times; and Lara herself (played by Angelina Jolie - a very attractive actress who CAN act...but not in this film) was quite 'loose' and cliche with the silver-screened image presented us about women. She's a sex symbol designed for eye-candy, hoping this movie (and any other she is in) will generate money based on how many men (and possibly women too) go to see her boobs bounce as she runs and jumps.

Rewind to the early 90's again. One of the first survival horror games is released...Alone In The Dark. Through sequels, this game generates a fair-sized cult following and becomes a widely known gaming title. The fourth and newest installment in the series (Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare) blows gamers away with visuals and taking fear to the next level.

Fast-forward to the year 2004 - Alone in the Dark (Evil Awakens {is the movie's tagline}) is released. The movie 'stars' Christian Slater as the main character...a b-movie actor who seriously needs to go to acting school along with his co-star, Tara Reid (American Pie 2, National Lampoon's: Van Wilder). Her acting within Alone in the Dark was attrocious, giving her character Aline a rigid and 'I don't want to do this, but i'm being paid to' look and feel. Simply put, the only reason she was chosen for this film was for eye-candy. She makes out with Christian Slater for a matter of 45 seconds and she kept her bra on. Clearly not what happened in the video game history. The storyline to the movie COMPLETELY sucked...I know middle-school students who write the same crap that the movie was based on.

Honestly...what the HELL happened to designing a script with at least SOME intelligence? I mean honestly, it's like movies now-a-days are just made for one hit 'wonders' (that burn out after a week at the box-office) and never come around again...few people buy the dvd and even fewer people remember it a year down the road.

In all seriousness and honesty, some of the best video games and biggest companies have bought their movie rights to create a silver-screen version of it...and you know what? Chances are, they're going to suck.
Remember Halo and Halo 2? Yeah...Microsoft is working on an 'in-house' script for the movie...the Grand Theft Auto series is 'rumored' to have their creators Rockstar Games, already scripting out a movie of their own from their series. The Bloodrayne games designed originally for the X-Box gaming consol have had their movie liscensing bought already, along with the best-selling Mechwarior and Deus Ex games.

These games are all phenominal (alright, I admit Bloodrayne may not have done nearly as well as the Grand Theft Auto series, but then again, what is so enticing about repeatedly stealing cars and shooting people at the same time? It's repetitive and it kept me entertained for the first 10 minutes) and I would eagerly support sequels within the video game genre, but I very much so hate to hear that their movie-rights have been bought. Their movies are going to be cheap-knock-offs and multi-million-dollar flops, completely turning Hollywood off to the gaming industry as a source for good movie-scripts.

The sea of great script ideas is applenty out there in the digital entertainment world...but it will take ACTUAL WRITERS who KNOW what they're doing...not one-shot sell-outs who are looking to get rich quick by sucking the life out of great things, to start turning out great movies again, especially based on one of the electronics industry's largest sources of income.

Take the Worms series for example. A billion and a half kids around the planet would get a kick out of seeing cartoon worms commit backyard warfare amongst eachother using the likes of mini-bazookas and holy hand-grenades...and their parents would buy the dvds and take their kids to see the movie in theaters...that's entertainment that CAN work, if approached at the right angle.

Comments and opinions are welcomed.

:feedback:

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
remember the opposite is also true, games based on movies suck too.... in the old days it was cause the games were loosely put together with bad graphics, game play, and story... now since super graphics are demanded anymore, its story that tends to blow and not because they write it that way.. It's because they dont create a new story.. All movie based video games anymore are just the movie script converted for game play. You already know whats going to happen through the entire game because you've seen the movie... Back in the old days they at least tried to makeup for the suckass graphics by writing a new storyline set in the movie's world. like festers quest was set in the Adams family world but had nothing to do with the movie plot.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Hmm...the list of movie/video game crossovers that hasn't worked:

Super Mario Brothers
X-men
Power Rangers
Spider Man
Batman (seriously, don't even bother if you were considering it)
Fantastic Four (seriously, don't even bother if you were considering it)
Resident Evil
Alone in the Dark
House of the Dead
Tomb Raider
Indiana Jones
Final Fantasy
Mortal Kombat
Street Fighter

Oh, and I really doubt the truth behind the GTA movie, considering that GTA3-San Andreas have all been based off of movies (The Godfather, Scarface, Boyz in da Hood).

Darklight said:
remember the opposite is also true, games based on movies suck too.... in the old days it was cause the games were loosely put together with bad graphics, game play, and story... now since super graphics are demanded anymore, its story that tends to blow and not because they write it that way.. It's because they dont create a new story.. All movie based video games anymore are just the movie script converted for game play. You already know whats going to happen through the entire game because you've seen the movie... Back in the old days they at least tried to makeup for the suckass graphics by writing a new storyline set in the movie's world. like festers quest was set in the Adams family world but had nothing to do with the movie plot.

I'm trying to focus on the bad reputation that movies are giving the gaming industry...of course there are going to be shitty games made...that happens all the time, but the gaming industry pumps out more great games than shitty ones...the movie industry has been doing the opposite though: more shitty movies to make up for the loss in box-office revenues...trying to balance it out in other words.

The FIRST Resident Evil movie was alright...the story was there, the acting was there (it could have been improved upon slightly), and the visuals...the computer generated monster at the end of the movie along with the ball of fire it burst into was very sad to see...they could have done so much better on it. Look at the Star Wars moviesd..their CGI jobs were great (Episode 1 came out before Resident Evil did and the CGI in that was amazing).

The X-Men movies were actually very good (I'm sorry to burst your bubble). The story-line for the first was a bit sketchy at first, seeming only to serve as a plot-line to bring the mutants together. The second was better...story-line improved and acting jobs were better along with CGI.

Movies like Indiana Jones, Batman, and Fantastic Four were all modeled on comic books...but I do understand. The First Batman movie with Michael Keaton was good and I still enjouy seeing it, but the subsequent movies seem to be made for kids. I feel your pain with Fantastic Four as it was a complete joke...Reid CAN NOT act...and the Indiana Jones movies (bursting your bubble yet again) were extremely well-done. Temple of Doom was the only cheesy Jones flick.

The other movies listed above by Nailbomb are accurate...they all sucked...why? Because script writers are horrible, actors and actresses (more and more now-a-days) can't act (they're simply chosen for their looks now), and directors don't know what to do with everything.

Something needs to be done about this...at least start with the god-damned script writers.

Oh! And about the GTA comment I made last night, please check here for my source on this issue.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/575/575294p1.html

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Actually, you didn't burst any bubbles. My list was crossovers that didn't work, and in most of the cases you're talking about the video games are based off the movies (or at least trying to cash in on their release/rerelease) that sucked. If you haven't noticed they've already got a Batman Begins and Fantastic Four game. I've managed to get my hands on demos of both, and they both sucked, hence the warnings.

But what you're not realizing Nail, is that I'm talking about movies based on games. Both Batman AND Fantastic Four were created BASED ON the comic book series. The games that came out were based on the series and people liked them when they did come out (at least the Batman game for NES). The point of this thread is to talk about GAME to MOVIE crossovers, not the other way around.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Nailbomb said:
What the fuck?

X-Men 2 on the Genesis is absolute tits! I and many other people love that game!

It's got awesome hack and slash action, crisp controls, wonderful sound track and sound effects, and great graphics! It's hella fun - the only good X-Men game ever made. And A LOT of people bought it.

It was one of the last great games released for that system.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Haha, I wasn't talking about EVERY X-men game. Hell, I've got that game myself. I can't think of the name of the one I was talking about though.

Blaze

Pyromaniac Extraordinaire
How do you guys feel about Todd McFarlane's Spawn and how it translated from comic to silver screen? There is also buzz about a sequel some time next year (hope it does well). The movie wasn't half bad. John Leguizamo was awsome as the Clown/Violator :thumbsup: .

However, the movie to videogame (Spawn: The Eternal for the PS1) translation sucked MEGA balls. Tho it suffered from many flaws, the biggest one is often the murderer of many a video game - the game camera. Those camera angles were a bitch! The graphics are like looking through murky doo-doo toilet water :thumbsdn: , and the control was like teaching a cardboard box how to do kung fu - it just wasn't workin'. That game sux. The next game to come out, Spawn: Armageddon, didn't do so well. It was tryin' to steal some moves from Devil May Cry but didn't get close. Graphics were okay but nothing to shout about. Sub-par at best. McFarlane has alot of cool ideas and it was sad to see them wasted on games that didn't own up to it.

Descent said:
What the fuck?

X-Men 2 on the Genesis is absolute tits! I and many other people love that game!

It's got awesome hack and slash action, crisp controls, wonderful sound track and sound effects, and great graphics! It's hella fun - the only good X-Men game ever made. And A LOT of people bought it.

It was one of the last great games released for that system.
what about X-Men Lengends for PS2? A lot of people bought that game.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Yeah! That's the one! Basically, switch all the characters from that game with the Fantastic Four and you've got that game. Remove most of them, and you've got the Batman Begins game.

Nailbomb said:
Yeah! That's the one! Basically, switch all the characters from that game with the Fantastic Four and you've got that game. Remove most of them, and you've got the Batman Begins game.
You don't like adventure games then. X-Men lengends is like Devil May Cry except their is a team of four superheros and the bosses are easier. There is also less bloodshed. You could say it's a bootlegged version of DMC.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
You could also say it's complete shit. I don't have have any problem with adventure games. I just don't like the X-men game, and I don't like DMC either. Who the fuck thought a homosexual hero would be a good idea?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Nailbomb said:
You could also say it's complete shit. I don't have have any problem with adventure games. I just don't like the X-men game, and I don't like DMC either. Who the fuck thought a homosexual hero would be a good idea?

Wow, Link! You're looking SUPER today!

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
I think every one is forgetting something, MONEY!!! If some one in charge see's that this game is has a big fan base they know they have a good shot at making money. I haven't read any complants on the matrix yet, the game was involved in the story line. One of my favrit games is Evil dead fistfull of boom stick. It follows the story line of the movies. One thing i do with my self is listen to here say befor you play the game OR watch the movie. The movie and the game is someone else's dream, or fantisy. The games are ALWAYS aimed at the fanbase, but because someone else wrote the (insert knock off here) then you have a different product alltoghther. I'm going to not comment on producers of games destroying the games( im a big mmorpg player) because i dont want to get roudy(AKA galixies.) Well maby if they stop making money off knock off games/movies, the companies will wise up alittle.

Nailbomb said:
Then what adventure game do like that's a movie cross over because you said all the ones I know and you seem to hate each one.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
leehype said:
I haven't read any complants on the matrix yet, the game was involved in the story line. One of my favrit games is Evil dead fistfull of boom stick. It follows the story line of the movies.
You've never heard a Matrix complaint? Wow, I don't think I've seen one good review for that game.

Fistful of Boomstick is fun in its own, but how'd you ever come up with the idea that it follows the movie plots?

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
Nailbomb said:
You've never heard a Matrix complaint? Wow, I don't think I've seen one good review for that game.

Fistful of Boomstick is fun in its own, but how'd you ever come up with the idea that it follows the movie plots?

I'll try to explane my self to the bast of my abilities, in the game there are grey referals to the movies, "To make a long story short i was sent to hell and back, and back again, and, again." The story gets draged out by the fact that Ash is not all to bright with the princpals behind the stiuation he is in. Dumn one liners fill the game all the way through, along with the cheezy pick up lines in the fist part of game. And heres one more quote from the game; Ash "Hey officer I'm looking for some things belonging to a stiff, a guy called Knobbie (spelling)." cop "The old crank out in the woods, I dunno could be kinda. Wait weren't you a suspect in that case."

There's more but i can't member right now, and my playstation 2 is, really far away right now. As for th matrix, i don't remember the reviews, or care as there writen by people paid to promote/rag on products (I know theres alot of unbiase reviews, but I dont think i've read one.) Me and my friends loved the game and there friends loved the game and thats how i judge a game. I'm sorry to critics but i dont like reviews. I like to make my own opinion and share it, for better or worse.