WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Video games and the Politicians

Why do they make such a big deal of video games? It makes as much sense as Ellton John in a strip club. I they hate the games why do they talk about it like they do, which makes every 10 year old kid out there want it. GTA, Mortal kombat, Manhunt, ect. would never have been as big of a hit as they were if it weren't for the senators all whining about their violence. The newest case is a video game coming out soon called The Warriors, based on some 80's movie that no one cares about. The would be a total flop. Off the proverbial map, but what did they do? They demanded it rated AO if it is released. Now if the company that makes the game can only muster a few not that violent screenshots of the game, i seriously doubt that the senators have seen enough of it to make the claim understandable. So it went from a game that would sell 1000 copies and be a failure, to a game that will be 2006's blockbuster ultraviolent beat em' up which will sell 1000000 copies in the us alone. Am the only one who sees the irony in that. 10's of 1000's of 12 year old's will have it in their collection just because of the senators moaning.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
or maybe because it's a rockstar game.. and for the foreseeable future anything they put their name to sells by the truckfull..

and maybe these senators that are complaining about rockstar have shares in them, which is why they are constantly attempting to provide controversy around the product.. sales = high shares..

and anyway, they fucking moaned about space invaders when i was in school.. they will always moan about shit..

actually, it is made by a different company. Besides mortal kombat was made by acclaim.

Well, the people who will dislike these rules are kids, because adult gamers are more or less unaffected. Now, politicians are elected based on votes, and kids don't vote. Ergo, politicians don't give a shit about kids. This is a beautiful issue for them, they restrict the freedoms of non-voters, who they don't care about, and, in doing so, it will entice parents (read voters) into voting for them.
Those conniving bastards!

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
cryptkeeper said:
actually, it is made by a different company. Besides mortal kombat was made by acclaim.

The Warriors
Free roaming beat 'em up from Rockstar
Platform: PS2 Also On: Xbox
Publisher: Rockstar Games Developer: Rockstar Games
ESRB Rating: Genre: Action

oh ok.. so warriors isnt made by rockstar.. my mistake..
plus i didn't refer to mortal shitbat.. just warriors..
nice to meet you anyway.

_Kitana_

Angel of Death
ever seen the movie "The Warriors"

It a pretty awesome movie from it day.

"Warriors come out and Play..."

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
_Kitana_ said:
ever seen the movie "The Warriors"

It a pretty awesome movie from it day.

"Warriors come out and Play..."
i remember it from the day.. there was a gang in my area that dressed up as one of the gangs in the movie.. masks and baseball bats.. they were older than us (we were about 14?) and it was ridiculously scary.. these were the early days of home videos and i had just been introduced to a world of psychos and serial killers via the videos.. and then there was a gang of them roaming around at night.. they got my mates darren and scott.. pretty wild..

although i don't support the political bullshit, it is proven in a study that violent video games does not help people "vent" their anger. However, it DOES make the player more prong to violence and aggression. although most kids do not become assassins due to exposure of violent video games, those who do not play these games are even less likely to be aggressive persons.

but fuck science, gta is fucking fun.

leehype

drunk with a jeep problem
I think this is all about the votes. I remember some dumbass expert talking about how kids were learning how if you shot someone in the head it is more deadly, from vedio games. It comes down to the fact that people always have to have something to blame for there problems. Colinbine highschool for exe: Every one blamed doom and other first person shotters for that bullshit. I don't think the vedio games effect anyone's way of thinking. If a child is not taught right from wrong, some fighting game is not going to make him do anything.

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
CHAIRMAN YIN said:
although i don't support the political bullshit, it is proven in a study that violent video games does not help people "vent" their anger. However, it DOES make the player more prone to violence and aggression. although most kids do not become assassins due to exposure of violent video games, those who do not play these games are even less likely to be aggressive persons.
edited slightly

I think there's an oversight in the statistics here. Wouldn't you agree that a large number of kids who do not play violent video games are not allowed to play violent video games? And if parents are paying attention to the children in question, wouldn't they be less likely to be violent later in life anyway? I will not say that there is no connection between violent video games and violent behavior, but I believe the claims of video games causing violence are greatly overstated.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
ReiMeishin said:
I will say that there is no connection between violent video games and violent behavior, but I believe the claims of video games causing violence are greatly overstated.
Well, you're wrong. Violent video games do make people more violent, but they also teach valuable life skills.

When I was younger, I played Mortal Kombat, and that's how I learned to shoot flaming skulls, drop arcade machines on people, turn into a monkey and scare people, kiss people until they explode, rip out their heart and eat it, and remove someone's spinal cord and jump rope. I also learned acid baths and spike pits are bad for you. Now, no ninja will dare try freezing me. They never know when I'll punch them through the ceiling. It also works great when removing mormons and Jehova's witnesses that won't get off your property.

Games like Road Rash and Twisted Metal taught me the valuable importance of defensive driving. Now, whenever I see some ice cream man with a flaming head, pretty boy in a sports car, or deformed hilljack in a towtruck, I just launch a power missile, and continue driving safely. Should the Grim Reaper decide to roll up next to me on his motorcycle, I just wait for an oncoming car or sharp turn, and burn him. I might not have a cattle prod, but the cigarette lighter works just as well.

I used to work as an ambulance driver. Originally, I was too scared to push the limits of my driving, and the people I was trying to save would die before we got there. Then, one day, I put in my brother's copy of Madden '92. Now, I always get to the injured people on time. Thanks to that game, I now run over healthy people without worry, since I know they'll just get right back up and be ready to go for the first down.

Thanks to violent video games, I'll be prepared should we get invaded by aliens, Communists, gang members, giant centipedes, neighbor eating zombies, vampires, drug addicts, secret Government experiments gone awry, or even the forces of hell itself.

ReiMeishin

Dreaming to live
/\ made a critical text error

I will NOT say that there is no connection between video games and vioence, but I believe the claims of video games causing violence are greatly overstated.

Nailbomb

I'm just really nice.
Heh, yeah, I was typing that up before you fixed it.

But if video games don't cause violence, how do you explain the ice ninjas, ice cream men with flaming heads, pretty boys in sports cars, deformed hilljacks in towtrucks, Grim Reapers on motorcycles, aliens, Communists, gang members, giant centipedes, neighbor eating zombies, vampires, drug addicts, secret Government experiments gone awry, or the forces of hell itself?

void said:

The Warriors
Free roaming beat 'em up from Rockstar
Platform: PS2 Also On: Xbox
Publisher: Rockstar Games Developer: Rockstar Games
ESRB Rating: Genre: Action

oh ok.. so warriors isnt made by rockstar.. my mistake..
plus i didn't refer to mortal shitbat.. just warriors..
nice to meet you anyway.
i am sorry, in that case i was wrong. to reply to another statement, i am not a kid but i am still burnt up by politicians. I just like the fact that they pretend to fight violent games but they actually help them. No mortal kombat developed by acclaim and produced by midway.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
cryptkeeper said:
i am sorry, in that case i was wrong.
that's ok.. and those are rare words around here..:thumbsup:

i just know some things and not others.. this was one of the former..
ps, i think the game will suck cock and ass.. rockstar seem to be sreading it a bit thin..

Jung

???
Premium
cryptkeeper said:
No mortal kombat developed by acclaim and produced by midway.
You have that backwards.

http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/791/Mortal-Kombat-Deception-Ed-Boon-John-Podlasek-Interview/p1/
Ed has been part of the Bally/Williams/Midway family since originally programming for Joust back in the early 80's. In 1992 Boon teamed up with artist/designer John Tobias to create the Mortal Kombat series which has gone on to include over 10 different games, three movies, and countless consumer products.
http://www.allps2.com/gamewatcher/closerlook/mkdeception.asp
Ed Boon and John Tobias, MK's creators, were both designers at Williams / Bally / Midway when the prolific coin-op arcade publisher announced in 1990 that they wanted a fighting game to compete with Capcom's wildly successful Street Fighter II.

Acclaim had the license to port the game to home consoles, and quickly cashed in on the coin-op's notoriety by preparing to release editions for Nintendo's Super NES and Sega's Genesis, among others. In five different formats, Mortal Kombat eventually would take in over $275 million in sales alone - even the Game Boy version's sales topped one million - with a grand total of 6.5 million cartridges sold.
Programmers obviously create the game, and both Ed Boon and John Tobias worked for Midway. Acclaim produced the console versions of the game; they did not 'create' it.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
its just the way shit is... Remember the way the public thinks is that Everything is a bad influence on our kids. Movies, Music, TV, Video games, magazines, The internet or any other media source... But never bad parenting. No child has ever been corrupted or damaged by bad parenting... It's only those evil media sources... Cant be that dad comes home from work pounds a 6 pack and whips his kid with a belt for spilling some paint in the garage... its that damned violent video game... It cant be the kid never had moral standards enforced in his household... its the damn tv teaching them bad moral fiber... And its not because parents wont address the subject of sex and try as hard as possible to get the subject taken out of school that makes kids wanna try it as quick as possible.. must be the fucking movies...