WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Viewpoint Spyware/Any Spyware Question

After getting AIM, which apparantly puts Viewpoint on, I wanted to get it off, cause I read in various places that it's harmful. I did Add/Remove Programs, it was supposedly off. I deleted everything but the apparant problem: axmetastream.dll. With any other spyware I've had, the important .dll is always "in use", and no matter what i do with NOD or Spybot, it can't get it out. What I wanted to know was, specifically, how to get this off, and then generally, what to do with any other .dll file that is supposedly in use. Of course, I want to do with without having to buy any other programs.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Did you try to boot into Windows' Safe Mode?

Edit: Pfft. Jung with his uber quick reflexes one-upped me even before I could safely put a Safe Mode foot in my mouth.

Jung

???
Premium
Try scanning with Spybot, AdAware and Microsoft AntiSpyware while in safe mode. Failing that, try HijackThis and post your log file.