WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Viewsonic G70m

Boycott

Soul Doubt
Has anyone heard of a Viewsonic G70m monitor? It has speakers on it, which I want to use, but I can't ... I think it's because I need drivers for them, or for some other reason... Anyone want to help brainstorm ideas? I've already looked for drivers, so unless you can find something I haven't, that's out of the question...

Boycott

Soul Doubt
there's speakers on the monitor... I plug them in (using an audio-audio cord; so it's got two male ends) but no sound comes out of the speakers on the monitor...

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
I'd check to make sure that you've got it connected to your sound card properly. Then check to make sure the monitor speakers aren't supposed to be powered (i.e. need external power supply) Or that they may bee switched off. The likelyhood that speakers come with drivers is low.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
Oh wow... Good deal...

I looked at the back to see if it needed external power, and I find "Audio In, Mic Out"... I thought it was the two jacks on the side of the monitor I was supposed to plug it into... I suppose those are Audio Out

Jung

???
Premium
Sorry, I somehow missed the part about the speakers. My guess would be an external power source.

e: beaten

Boycott

Soul Doubt
hmm, now that i have this, do you know if there's any way to make a headphone jack work, but not cut out the sound to my sub/other speakers?

Boycott

Soul Doubt
subwoofer
speaker speaker

monitor speaker monitor speaker

the speakers on my monitor are built in... I was just wondering if I could have the 2 on my monitor, then have my other 2 going also, sort of like a surround sound idea

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
Yeah, the liklihood of you being able to cobble together some 5.1 sound out of a 3.1 setup is quite low. It may work however, if each speaker is run to the sound card.

Have you tried to get the monitor speakers working by plugging the wire into the "Audio Input" jack on the monitor, and the "Audio Output" jack on the computer. You may also have to check the settings in whatever program is controlling your sound card, because your other speakers may be digital, and using a SPDIF signal or other digital format, while the speakers on the monitor are Analog.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
I have the monitor ones working since I noticed the Audio In, I was just wondering if I could also route the sound from a headphone jack or something... Is there such thing as an audio splitter that works with speaker jacks?

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
I use the Y splitter myself, so I can use either headphones or speakers without having to plug anything in. Works great.

Boycott

Soul Doubt
Tost : If you were to plug in two sets of speakers, would one lose sound if they were both plugged in at the same time?

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
No. They'd repeat whatever you put into the single end on both of the ouputs. So, you'd have 2 sets of 2 speakers repeating the same thing.