WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

virus problems again..

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Ok.. Nortan won't pick up anything and ad aware has found everything it can.. But I'm still getting popups while I'm just on my desktop and everything is going slow and choppy.. :mad:

Liquid-Zero

Assassain Wumpus Hunter
Have you updated both programs? Because Ad-Aware gets rid of all of my bug problems. Also get AVG Free if the updates still dont work because AVG is a very good virus detector as well ;)

Also try CTRL + ALT + DELETE to see if an unknown process comes up. If a program called 'rotf.exe' is taking up 100% of your CPU, PM me because my cousin knows how to deal with that virus.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
Next time please use the proper forum when posting your computer problems...

Also, those programs wont stop and detect everything. Your best bet is to minimize your use of MS products (IE, Outlook) and what you download from the net.

Jung

???
Premium
Liquid-Zero said:
Have you updated both programs? Because Ad-Aware gets rid of all of my bug problems.
If by "all of my bug problems" you mean, "some of my ad/spyware problems", then you'd be correct. You should look into Spybot as well, AdAware misses a lot of objects and you probably have "bugs" that you don't know about.
Liquid-Zero said:
Also get AVG Free if the updates still dont work because AVG is a very good virus detector as well ;)
I've had nothing but bad experiences witht that program. Never on my PCs, but on friend's and family members'. I've found Kaspersky to be the best AV program out there. My work offers me Symantec Corp licenses to use at home and on my notebook, but I've never used them in favor of Kaspersky. Also, for the love of god, stop using Internet Explorer.
BRiT said:
I'm not going to argue about IE, I've never really used or liked it. Outlook express is a huge steming pile of shit, but regular Outlook isn't that bad actually. I've used it for many years; Outlook 2k3 is great and beats Thunderbird by leaps and bounds.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
I must agree, Kaspersky is the best AntiVirus program around.

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
BRiT said:
Next time please use the proper forum when posting your computer problems...

Also, those programs wont stop and detect everything. Your best bet is to minimize your use of MS products (IE, Outlook) and what you download from the net.
I forgot that theres a computer forum.. Won't happen again..

The virus situation is better now that I used AVG, still getting weird popups, but now its a lot less, but theres a couple programs like "search help" and crap that highlight random words on the internet and have defitions for crap.. I have no idea how I got these.. Spybot sucked for me, never got rid of anything.. I'll look into Kaspersky.. Thanks for the help.

NaughtyGirl21

Formally Cuddles
betrayed said:
I forgot that theres a computer forum.. Won't happen again..

The virus situation is better now that I used AVG, still getting weird popups, but now its a lot less, but theres a couple programs like "search help" and crap that highlight random words on the internet and have defitions for crap.. I have no idea how I got these.. Spybot sucked for me, never got rid of anything.. I'll look into Kaspersky.. Thanks for the help.
I had that same problem on another computer in the house cause my little brother and sister was not careful about what they downloaded and didn't care and then it got viruses. Everytime we would turn on the cable modem pop ups would just pop on the screen, even without being on an internet page. When you did go onto an internet page it would run very very slow. I could not fix it, so the next best thing I did was just save all your important files and wipe out the hard drive and start fresh.(Always solves problem when you can't fix things otherwise) ;)

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Yeahh uhh.. No I don't want to do that.. I got most of it off but the adware still remains, every sentence something pops up so when I come home from school I have about a million windows to close.. Anyone have anything else to suggest?

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Everytime I finish scanning and scan again with ad aware it finds even more..

Zickddot

Banned - What an Asshat!
i use opera(safe dling) :) ahem and used serials2k for the serial number
also u mite want to find out where u got the thing, i smell a law suit

and look out for the xupiter intruder. i had to format my hd to get rid of it

betrayed

Banned - What an Asshat!
Zickddot said:
i use opera(safe dling) :) ahem and used serials2k for the serial number
also u mite want to find out where u got the thing, i smell a law suit

and look out for the xupiter intruder. i had to format my hd to get rid of it
Opera is a web browser, that doesn't do anything for my current situation.. It took me about 3 minutes to make this post because of all the damn pop ups..

Jung

???
Premium
betrayed said:
Opera is a web browser, that doesn't do anything for my current situation.. It took me about 3 minutes to make this post because of all the damn pop ups..
I think he's saying, if you use a better browser you would have less pop up and get infected with less malware. Only IE uses ActiveX, which is what most malware uses to install.

Also, try running AdAware, then spybot; I'm pretty sure you'll find that both find objects that the other one misses, hence why I suggested using both. Also, make sure you update your detection rules/definitions in both applications.

I use Firefox and SpyBot's TeaTimer and immunization features and I hardly ever get malware, when I do it's very simple to remove.

Also, here's another great program for protecting your computer from malware.
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

Make sure you update it's definitions as well, and update all of them regularly.