WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines voluntary gas rationing

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
bush is asking that we ration non-essential journeys.

Speaking after a briefing at the energy department in Washington, Mr Bush said on Monday that it was up to all Americans to "pitch in" by being better conservers of energy: "I mean, people just need to recognise that these storms have caused disruption and that if they're able to maybe not drive ... on a trip that's not essential, that would be helpful.
"If it makes sense for the citizen out there to curtail non-essential travel, it darn sure makes sense for federal employees ... We can encourage employees to car pool or use mass transit, and we can shift peak electricity use to off-peak hours. There's ways for the federal government to lead when it comes to conservation," he said.

meanwhile..

He yesterday made his seventh trip to the Gulf since Katrina struck - which include flights on Air Force One as well as helicopters for the president, his staff, secret service agents, and the press corps that accompanies him. The air force recently estimated fuel costs for Air Force One at $6,029 (£3,415) per hour. Mr Bush was also said to be reminding staff to turn off lights.

Republican leaders in Congress have infuriated environmental groups by pushing policies offering tax breaks to oil companies, and relaxing rules on drilling. "The hurricanes are being used as cover to attack vital environmental and health requirements before anybody realises what they are doing," said Frank O'Donnell, president of Clean Air Watch. In Congress, Republicans prepared to move forward today with energy legislation to provide tax breaks to oil companies engaged in refinery expansion and construction. More controversially, two House of Representative committees are expected to push forward with proposals - blocked in the past because of environmental concerns - to allow states to opt out of Congressional bans on coastal oil-drilling, and another proposal to allow drilling in the Arctic national refuge.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1579834,00.html

Fuxed

Titles are overrated...
I read up to "The hurricanes are being used as cover to attack vital environmental"... WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS GUY!? YES, WE PLANNED AND EXECUTED THE RECENT HURRICANES SPECIFICALLY TO CUT DOWN YOUR FORESTS, AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!?

Uh huh, what a fucking idiot. Agreed, we shouldn't be using nearly as much fossil fuel, but we aren't going to stop. It's not possible. Even getting most of the country to cut back won't work. Gas prices have gone crazy in the past 5 years, people still buy it, and you think by saying "Please" it's going to get better? Please pop more acid and die. Bush, you should have been aborted by a rusty coathanger. Good night and to all who disagree with me, just die because I DON'T CARE!

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Fuxed said:
I read up to "The hurricanes are being used as cover to attack vital environmental"... WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH THIS GUY!? YES, WE PLANNED AND EXECUTED THE RECENT HURRICANES SPECIFICALLY TO CUT DOWN YOUR FORESTS, AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT!?
i don't think any sane person believes the hurricanes were orchestrated.. just that they present an excuse for otherwise difficult legislation.. similar to how the 'difficult to sell' war in iraq was ushered through post 9.11..

Fuxed said:
Uh huh, what a fucking idiot. Agreed, we shouldn't be using nearly as much fossil fuel, but we aren't going to stop. It's not possible. Even getting most of the country to cut back won't work. Gas prices have gone crazy in the past 5 years, people still buy it, and you think by saying "Please" it's going to get better?
there are alternatives, you will see them in your lifetime.. once oil costs more to extract than the world economy is willing to pay to consume it, then the patents that are presently owned/suppressed by the oil lobby will be released, there are many people on this site more knowledgable than myself on this matter and i defer to them regarding specifics.

but anyway.. in light of this 'voluntary' rationing.. i would fill up tomorrow if i were you.. might be a line the weekend.

Fuxed

Titles are overrated...
No car, no cash, no need for gas. Being 15 p00nz.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
Fuxed said:
No car, no cash, no need for gas. Being 15 p00nz.
not long to wait though eh?
my wife was driving at 15..

Fuxed

Titles are overrated...
I don't get a car for my 16th, unlike most of the rich american kiddies... No, I get added to my parents insurance under their cars, I have no way of owning a car until Junior year of high school (Next year), why? My parents refuse to let me keep it at our house, and will not help me with insurance, meaning, mooching rides is the way to go for the next year or so.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
my wife lived right out on the edges of memphis so she was deemed a special case and given a license early, her folks signed for the credit and she paid for all of it with the money she got doing tables.. it was only a crappy altima, but at 15 that's fine..
i think she went on her dad's insurance..

she nearly cried when we sold it.. of course since then she's had an acura rsx, volvo s80 T6 and a prius.. she's over the altima..

hey, for insurance, if your company does the "safer driving" program, you take that and get a discount. it is this bullshit thing that means you read this book, take a test, and you're a safer driver! you get like a 10-15% discount depending on your score.

i've got progressive, and i get 12% off my already premium-filled insurance each month because i am a SAFE DRIVER!