WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Headlines Volunteers for New Orleans Relief Effort

I Need to Get to New Orleans!

I'm putting together a team of Search & Rescue and Medical personnel to go to New Orleans to help out. The problem is that I can't find any organizations that are coordinating manpower....everyone points to the Red Cross or FEMA, and the people I've talked to there don't know who to direct me to.

I've found some numbers for MEMA (Mississippii Emergency Management Agency) but nothing so far for Louisianna.

Sorry if this shit is posted somewhere and I just missed it...I didn't take the time to search the recent threads.
If anyone has contact info for organizations coordinating the manpower effort, of groups that need SAR/Medical personnel, let me know. We're trying to get to New Orleans.

EDIT: GEAR LIST

Feel free to add stuff that I missed. A lot of this is gear that we're going to need, and some is just recommended stuff that it would be good for you to have.
There's a wish list of stuff that I know is difficult to get that would be helpful.
Also, sinamon, I don't know if you've ever done mass casualty or triage, but I know I missed some medical supplies....I only listed basics; add what you feel is necessary.

For the people that are going, let me know what you have (or have access to) so that I can start putting a logistical plan together. We have a small window if we want to launch this weekend..otherwise we'll be delayed until mid-week.

Group Equipment:
Axes
Hooligan tools
Sledgehammers
Chainsaws
Reflective vests
Battery-powered search lights
2-way radios
Handheld GPS
Flares (popups and ground)
Maps/Map cases
Mosquito Nets
Personal Strobe lights

Wish-List
Static Lines/Carabiners
Safety harnesses/Escape belts
Binoculars
Lightweight helmets (like pro-tec)
Cut-off saw(s) (like promethean)
Flat-bottom boats (oars/poles)
Trailers (for boats)
Cots / Tents
NBC protective clothing
Respiratory masks (for viruses/bacteria)

Personal Equipment:
Eye protection
Gloves (protective)
Knife (tactical or functional)
Personal flashlight or headlamp
Kneepads
Storm whistle
Hygiene Gear
Hydration System
Sunscreen
Insect repellent (high DEET content)
Clothes for 1 week
Sturdy boots/shoes

Medical Supplies:
Litters / Backboards
Saline IV’s
Roller gauze
Quick Clot
Alcohol wipes
Iodine
Splints
Neck braces
4x4 padded dressings
Military-style compression bandages
Latex gloves
Tegaderm dressings
Medical tape

jamesp

In Memory...
Im with you, Ill help in whatever way I can, just PM me.

PS: Pick me up on the way down...

Sinamon

~Broken Angel~
Flip, I'm a nurse. I'll gladly help in any way possible. I live in Georgia. If you wanna take me, PM me. :thumbsup:

jamesp

In Memory...
Yeah, Im in Alabama, we need to figure out a way to get everyone together that wants to help. Maybe sinamon can meet me in AL, and we can get to you guys? My job in the Navy, which I havent started yet, is a hospital corpsman, a medic, basically a nurse. I know basic stuff, but I just wanna help whatever way I can.

If you are serious about helping, you may call me at (cant believe Im doing this) 1-205-###-#### <(This is only for the very serious. PM me for details.)

Ok, so far I have about 6 Marines for SAR stuff, and 1 Navy Corpsman. I have an EMT and a couple others who are on the fence, not counting anyone here yet.
For those who are interested from WTF, then I'll need the following info:

1. Applicable skills and/or training (SAR, EMT, Lifesaving, Heavy Equipment, etc)
2. General Location
3. Any equipment you have at your disposal (I'll attach a more detailed list)
4. Length of time you can spare. I'm expecting a full week if I can get everyone organized by Saturday. So Sat-Sat.
5. Anyone have a helicopter or light boat? Unlikely, but wtf..
6. Any military people know where I can get a zodiac?

I'll post more details as I pull shit together. The most difficult part is finding the people who are coordinating the manpower. Worst-case scenario, I might try to hook up directly with the NOPD.

More to follow...

jamesp

In Memory...
A possible list of equipment and supplies we might need:

1. Flashlights, Search lights, etc.
2. Blankets and other comfort making stuff for anyone we find.
3. Chainsaws, sledgehammer to get to inaccessible places and people.
4. MREs or other long lasting food supplies.
5. Protective clothing. We will probably be wading through chest deep water that has dead people in it. This is a major safety concern. So we will need waterproof clothing (fishing gear maybe), gloves, possibly helmets.
6. Basic medical stuff. (Gauze and bandages, vitamins, antibiotics, etc)
7. Like FTS said, light boats.
8. Lots of water. Everyone down there needs water. If you plan on helping or just want to help us without going down. Bottled water is a life saver.

This is a basic list. Post if I left something out.

FlipTheState said:
Ok, so far I have about 6 Marines for SAR stuff, and 1 Navy Corpsman. I have an EMT and a couple others who are on the fence, not counting anyone here yet.
For those who are interested from WTF, then I'll need the following info:

1. Applicable skills and/or training (SAR, EMT, Lifesaving, Heavy Equipment, etc)
2. General Location
3. Any equipment you have at your disposal (I'll attach a more detailed list)
4. Length of time you can spare. I'm expecting a full week if I can get everyone organized by Saturday. So Sat-Sat.
5. Anyone have a helicopter or light boat? Unlikely, but wtf..
6. Any military people know where I can get a zodiac?

I'll post more details as I pull shit together. The most difficult part is finding the people who are coordinating the manpower. Worst-case scenario, I might try to hook up directly with the NOPD.

More to follow...

To help:

PM me or FlipTheState with the following info:
(like he said)

1. Any skills that would be usefull.
2. Location.
3. Amount of time you can spare. (Ill stay with whomever can stay the longest)
4. Any equipment.

Thanks guys. And especially to FTS.

UPDATE:

I might be able to get a flat bottomed boat. But only one.

not sure

Banned - What an Asshat!
i wanna help

pick me up im in ct pm for exact location and il help i can offer counsilling

(for lake of something better)

can i come (im 13)

not sure said:
pick me up im in ct pm for exact location and il help i can offer counsilling

(for lake of something better)

can i come (im 13)
Thanks for the offer! It's appreciated...but unfortunately, not only are there liability issues in taking a 13 year old with no legal guardian, you're in CT. Most of us are coming from TX, MS, AL.

Jung

???
Premium
jamesp said:
I might be able to get a flat bottomed boat. But only one.
PM if you can, I'll give you a number to reach me. I'd really like to get into a boat down there. I've called the Red Cross hotline down here, but I'm waiting for a call back.

junglizm said:
PM if you can, I'll give you a number to reach me. I'd really like to get into a boat down there. I've called the Red Cross hotline down here, but I'm waiting for a call back.
Good luck. The RC has been a dead-end for the past three days. They're way in over their heads here in terms of organizing the manpower effort. FEMA can't tell us a damn thing either.
I'm trying to contact NOPD, the mayor's office, and the LA Governor's office to see if I can get any information from them.
Jung - if you know of any organization that's actually coordinating shit, let me know. If I can't get attached to someone with logistical support and some level of authority by tomorrow then I'm probably going to try to just get down to Bay St. Louis or something.

Hater808

The hate still Shapes me
I live in Hawaii, but my anut lives in New Orleans So I might be coming down to help, If can get time off school. Here's what I can do now, I found this for volunteers. Good Luck :thumbsup:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/082905_local_donations.html

Donations, volunteers needed to help victims of Hurricane Katrina
ABC13 Eyewitness News
(9/2/05 - HOUSTON) — Recovering from Hurricane Katrina is going to be a long and difficult process. Extensive damage in Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama is only the beginning. Hundreds of thousands of residents are out of their homes.

Images of damage
Get E-witness News sent to you
75 most recent local headlines
abc13.com slideshow archive
Put our news on your website

If you would like to help the victims of Hurricane Katrina, there are several organizations welcoming your help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Volunteer Opportunities | Where to Donate

Volunteers:
Makeshift shelter at Astrodome:
As of 1:40pm, 9/2, all volunteers are now being asked to go to the Main Street/Yellow Lot at Reliant Park. The Yellow Lot can be accessed from Main Street.

Red Cross
713-526-8300
281-JOIN-NOW

United Way of the Texas Gulf Coast
713-685-2708

Volunteer Houston/Harris County Citizen Corp.
281-564-6669

Houston United Way
713-957-4357

If you're interested in doing 'simple' volunteer work, you can do so by calling or stopping by some of the locations below.

St. Vincent De Paul Society
Call (713) 741-8234, ext. 110 or stop at the following locations:

Washington Thrift Store
2020 Washington Avenue
Houston, TX

Bellaire Thrift Store
5236 Cedar
Bellaire, TX

Ozanam Outlet
610 Memory Lane
Houston, TX

Salvation Army
Call (713) 752-0677 or go the following locations:

Main Office
1500 Austin
Houston, TX
8:30 am - 4:30 pm to help answer phones

Pasadena Community Center
2732 Cherrybrook

Donations:
Astrodome shelter
There has been a correction!
The American Red Cross is in charge at the dome. They are unable to accept donations directly at the Astrodome. If you would like to give the following items, food goes to the Houston Food Bank. Clothing goes to the Salvation Army. Other items go to United Way or Goodwill.
Donations are requested for storm victims. Supplies needed are:

Diapers
Baby formula
Wipes
Baby clothing
Wheelchairs
Walkers
Men's & women's summer clothing, all sizes
Undergarments -- all sizes
Blankets, sheets, bedding items
Toiletries, personal care items
Deodorant
Soap
Shampoo
Towels
Information given out earlier on Friday morning was incorrect. Do NOT drop items off at the Astrodome. Please take them to the Houston Food Bank or a local United Way or Goodwill office.
Red Cross:
Local number for donations: 713-313-5480
If you would like to make a donation to the Red Cross, please call 1-800-HELP-NOW or 1-800-257-7575 (Spanish). Contributions to the Disaster Relief Fund may also be sent to your local American Red Cross chapter or to the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 37243, Washington, D.C. 20013. Internet users can make a secure online credit card contribution by visiting www.redcross.org or www.houstonredcross.org.

Operation Share Your Home
Here is a national toll-free number for individuals who want to open their homes to Katrina victims: 888-827-2525

Salvation Army:
"Victims of Katrina" donations can be made by calling: 1-800-253-1868

Greater New Orleans Foundation
Donations are now being accepted online for the Hurricane Katrina New Orleans Recovery Fund. This fund will focus on the rebuilding of infrastructure to provide basic human services to residents of these devastated areas.

United Way of the Texas Gulf Coast
United Way Katrina Refugee Relief Fund, to assist local agencies that are caring for displaced victims of Hurricane Katrina
Contributions can be made at any of the more than 80 Amegy Bank of Texas banking centers
Visit any banking center and reference "United Way Katrina Refugee Relief Fund," Account #3601021 or mail to "Attn Teller, P.O. Box 27459; Houston, Texas 77227"

Houston Food Bank:
www.houstonfoodbank.org
The Houston Food Bank needs volunteers and paper goods, cleaning supplies, bottled water, peanut butter, heat-and-eat foods, single-serving foods and snacks that don't require refrigeration, and cash. Information: 713-223-3700

KSBJ-FM and the Greater Houston YMCA
Collecting prepaid grocery, gasoline and phone cards. Donations will be accepted today at Sharpstown Mall, Thursday at Memorial City Mall and Friday at Almeda Mall, noon-7 p.m. each day. Houston-area YMCAs will accept cards through September.

Sugar Land Drive:
Drop-off locations:
Sugar Creek Baptist Church - 13213 Southwest Freeway
Riverpark H-E-B - 19900 Southwest Freeway
Most needed items are: baby formula, diapers, wipes, cleaning supplies, canned meat, canned vegetables, canned fruits, bread, single serving snacks, ramen noodles, can openers, peanut butter, personal hygiene products, paper products, soups, and bottled water.

Spring Branch Church of the Nazarene
Volunteers collecting donations of clothing, shoes, blankets, sheets, sleeping bags, pillows, towels, washcloths, shampoo, deodorant, toothpaste, bottled water, small containers of laundry detergent, toys, diapers, baby food, etc. for the hurricane victims.
Visit their website for location and phone number

IMPACT HOUSTON CHURCH OF CHRIST
I-10 at I-45
Collecting goods to be donated to hurricane victims
Visit their website for location and phone number

Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston
Archbishop Joseph Fiorenza is asking Catholics throughout the 10-county archdiocese to contribute to a special collection this weekend that will go to aid victims in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida. The special collection will be taken up at all Masses at every parish in the archdiocese this weekend. The money raised will be given to Catholic Charities USA, which is among the primary responders in the regions devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

Jewish Federation of Greater Houston
Accepting tax-deductible donations at www.houstonjewish.org or Jewish Federation of Greater Houston Hurricane Katrina Disaster Relief Fund, 5603 S. Braeswood, Houston, TX 77096.

Katy Chamber of Commerce
2501 S. Mason, Suite 230, Katy
Taking donations of goods and services. Visit www.katychamber.com or call 281-828-1100 for more information.

All State Insurance
1111 FM 1462, Alvin TX
281-331-7414
Collecting goods for Red Cross and Salvation Army

West Houston Church of Christ
Collecting gift cards (phone, gas, food, Wal-Mart, etc) in any denomination to be distributed to Hurricane Katrina victims in Red Cross shelters in Texas. The collection will extend through the month of September and cards may be brought to West Houston Church of Christ, 17100 West Road, Houston, TX 77095. For additional information, see our website www.westhoustonchurch.org or call 281-856-0001.

ICNA Relief-Helping-Hand
P.O. Box 572181, Houston - Texas 77257
www.icna.org
Adivision of the Islamic Circle of North America (ICNA) -- a humanitarian relief and development organization. Providing assistance like food and shelter to many, including about 150 displaced Muslim families in Baton Rouge. ICNA Relief-Helping-Hand has allocated $25,000 for this specific effort and appealing for additional donations.

Lone Star Equine Rescue
The group has been called in to help with the horse rescue efforts after the storm hits. Supplies and manpower are needed. Lone Star Equine Rescue, Rose Westover, 713-467-3444 in Tomball area and Almost Heaven Riding Stables, John or Jodie Arrington, Highlands (east side staging) 281-426-3451

Sinamon

~Broken Angel~
I have a lot of the medical supplies for sure. I have 2 extra sphygmomamogramphers besides mine, two extra stethescopes besides mine, several tourniqoutes...yah i know im bad speller, but as long as i know how to do stitches and give shots and draw blood and first aid/cpr it all good. I have plenty of portective medical clothing from doing clinicals with surg techs, if u think any of that would be handy (ie, face and mouth protection, several packs of sterile gloves, gowns, etc.). I have a few flashlights, 2 mag ones and even a spotlight I bought my hus I could steal. He uses it for delivering pizza. Hes got vacation coming up and with me feelin the way I am, I'll need a lil break and stuff like this is why I love my job. :thumbsup:

Good job guys. I wanna call you james to talk about it but I dont have long distance. Pm me again if you want to call me and we'll see what we can do.

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Sinamon;

Those medical supplies are important and in need! Whatever you got, I am sure they will need it, esp masks. If you have any of the plastic anti-contagient masks too....the plastic ones....those would be good to take since they wont fall apart in the water.

Jung

???
Premium
sinamon said:
good stuff
PM me your number if you'd like, I will call you if I can get out on the cell. What quantities of this stuff do you have? Every little bit counts, but I could call some local authorities if they amounts are considerable.

Thanks for the effort too. :thumbsup:

Sinamon

~Broken Angel~
I have quite a bit, I can get more tho. I need to get some sterile gauze pads and several bottles of streile water too if any of you guys have any, that'll be great. The people that we find with large open wounds, they will need to be packed and let heal from the inside out and not stitched because of infection. I'll show you guys what I mean. It's nasty and painful, but it will keep them from loosing a limb most of the time. We'll also need a few more of the masks. And someone can use my sphygmamaographer if they want and my stethescope. It's fine. hmmm. Like I said I have the hand-held spotlight, couple mage flashlights. All I'd have to get is the wading boots and gas to get there. Lol. And $ to buy the other things I need. Hmmm. I know what. If anyone wants to help but can't come with us, Send me an IM and I'll send you my payal account number to donate whatever you can. Any little bit will help.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
if I was closer, or along the way, and my situation was better(know it sounds like excuses but im financially destitute at the moment), I would join.. but let me offer this one suggestion.. bring respiratory protection.. not just general dust masks.. something biologically filtered... there will be many dead bodies floating in the flood waters as well as many unhealthy chemicals in the water... some rubber wear like rain gear and boots might not be a bad idea either.. with some duct tape to seal the ends... You can't be too careful after this long the bodies and chemicals are creating a hazardous hodgepodge...

JLXC

WTF's Official Conspiracy Fanatic
Premium
WOW if you guys pull this off and head down there, that would fucking rock. I too wish I could lend aid, but I've got nothing. My hats off to you for going the extra mile!

:toocool:

Sinamon

~Broken Angel~
Ugh as we all know I have a dick of a husband and he's bringing up all sorts of issues, who's gonna watch the kids while i work, aren't u gonna hurt yourself more, we dont have the money for me to stay out of work. So I dunno, Damn that sucks too. I dont ever get to get out and all much and things like this is why I got into the feild in the first place. Dont cound me out yet tho, I have a few family members I'm gonna try to talk to for help =\

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
sinamon said:
Ugh as we all know I have a dick of a husband and he's bringing up all sorts of issues, who's gonna watch the kids while i work, aren't u gonna hurt yourself more, we dont have the money for me to stay out of work. So I dunno, Damn that sucks too. I dont ever get to get out and all much and things like this is why I got into the feild in the first place. Dont cound me out yet tho, I have a few family members I'm gonna try to talk to for help =\
don't take this the wrong way but go.. put the kids with a relative, get yourself away from grumpy and let him divorce you on grounds of abandonment (of him).. come back, get the kids and move on without him. i know i've oversimplified things from my outsiders perspective but at least consider it..

Ok I've got a guy who sells medical equipment for a living...I'm going to hit him up for whatever he can give me. He set my wife up with an insane home first-aid station, so let's see what else he's got.

The other thing we're going to need is money. We're going to have to pay our way down there and back, as well as support ourselves while we're out there.
Anyone got any ideas?

Food: If anyone has any big MRE or backpacking food connections, step up! We're going to need quite a few.

Update:

Still no luck linking up with anyone in New Orleans...it's fucking difficult to track down someone in charge of the rescue effort. If the people interested in going to New Orleans would also be willingto head out to Mississippi if we can't get into the city, speak up. I might decide to re-route to St. Louis Bay if we can't get into New Orleans.