WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

wanting to build a comp. car

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
ok i have a '95 olds achiva and i want to turn it into a comp car so far i have a sony head unit and polk 4x6in the front doors and 6in polk in the rear doors, i have a bazooka 500.1 mono pushin 2 alpine type E12 (i know i need a bigger amp for the subs) but i cant decide what amp to use for the door speakers. i already removed the 6x9's from the rear deck and it pushed the air nicely i havent put it trough a comp yet or had the db measured yet, wantin some feed back on what i should do.

thank ya for reading
Lowell Bishop

morelos

lexicon incognito
why don't you render all that spending money into a nicer car than a '95 achieva?

god, you can't even spell the name of your own car. maybe you ought to buy some books instead.

~ dan ~

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
morelos said:
why don't you render all that spending money into a nicer car than a '95 achieva?

god, you can't even spell the name of your own car. maybe you ought to buy some books instead.

~ dan ~
because it has the limited option of the 3.8L and as for not spelling the name right.... who fuckin cares.
also i picked it up for cheap and i wanted a car to work on for fun so :p

morelos

lexicon incognito
:D :D :D

fair enough. need more info, though: if you're competing, is it a 'quality' style you're going for or is it straight decibels?

~ dan ~

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
morelos said:
:D :D :D

fair enough. need more info, though: if you're competing, is it a 'quality' style you're going for or is it straight decibels?

~ dan ~
style and decibles i want to have it as an every day driver kinda car too
i was lookin ay switchable pass troughs for the door speakers and bass blockers for the door speakers when the amps arent in use, i have a 3 switch block installed in the dashfor the amp kills. and i was lookin at the new mtx 1000 two channel for the subs and the mtx four channel 1000 for the doors

morelos

lexicon incognito
mtx has some good bang for your buck. good product. audiobahn usually wins you competitions, though.

what kind of 'bass blockers' do you have? simple non-polarized capacitors? they can cause problems with some amps. be warned: buy expensive, stable amps.

~ dan ~

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
morelos said:
mtx has some good bang for your buck. good product. audiobahn usually wins you competitions, though.

what kind of 'bass blockers' do you have? simple non-polarized capacitors? they can cause problems with some amps. be warned: buy expensive, stable amps.

~ dan ~
400hz unpolarized, what kinda amp do you have in mind?

morelos

lexicon incognito
one with very good overload circuitry. you can get around this by running subs AND side or rear speakers together on one amp, bridged if necessary, with caps on the mids to eat bass and an appropriate sized inductor on the sub to eat treble.

~ dan ~

if you run high bass signals to speakers with capacitors, you'll get overload and your amps will react by shutting off, either until power cycled or until they're certain the threat of overload is gone. i should know - i've gone through a couple cheap amps and the head unit in my prius (built-in and unchangeable) is particularly finnicky. i have caps on the front speakers (which share a signal line in parallel with the signal to the sub) and asking too much bass from it makes it cut out every time the bass hits. that's overload protection. my home amp, on the other hand, will throw a relay which will kill power to ALL sensitive electronics and flash "overload" on the screen until you power cycle it.

so make sure to either get a good amp or plan a good schematic.

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
morelos said:
one with very good overload circuitry. you can get around this by running subs AND side or rear speakers together on one amp, bridged if necessary, with caps on the mids to eat bass and an appropriate sized inductor on the sub to eat treble.

~ dan ~

if you run high bass signals to speakers with capacitors, you'll get overload and your amps will react by shutting off, either until power cycled or until they're certain the threat of overload is gone. i should know - i've gone through a couple cheap amps and the head unit in my prius (built-in and unchangeable) is particularly finnicky. i have caps on the front speakers (which share a signal line in parallel with the signal to the sub) and asking too much bass from it makes it cut out every time the bass hits. that's overload protection. my home amp, on the other hand, will throw a relay which will kill power to ALL sensitive electronics and flash "overload" on the screen until you power cycle it.

so make sure to either get a good amp or plan a good schematic.
thanks man ill plan the shit outta it

Icarus

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
If you want to enter shows, I'd suggest that after you're done with the system, you put the following in:

Sparco buckets at http://www.sparcousa.com/seats.asp

Those are usually a sign of an all-around package (around here, in L.A., at least) and people who have them are typically admired.

A Holley NOSzle system at http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/NOS/NOSNS/NOSzle.html

And lastly, just drop the thing on some eibachs at http://eibach.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe/00133.1.415853144900027216

This is expensive, but I guarantee it'll provide the feel of both show and go. All of these are easy to add to your car, and you'll have one helluva sweet-looking (and sweet-sounding) ride.

The_DEAL

FAILING @FAILING!
NoSubstance said:
If you want to enter shows, I'd suggest that after you're done with the system, you put the following in:

Sparco buckets at http://www.sparcousa.com/seats.asp

Those are usually a sign of an all-around package (around here, in L.A., at least) and people who have them are typically admired.

A Holley NOSzle system at http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/NOS/NOSNS/NOSzle.html

And lastly, just drop the thing on some eibachs at http://eibach.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.exe/00133.1.415853144900027216

This is expensive, but I guarantee it'll provide the feel of both show and go. All of these are easy to add to your car, and you'll have one helluva sweet-looking (and sweet-sounding) ride.
i more worried to get the most "bang" for the buck, waether it be bazooka or mtx, audioban or what not i do have a manifold already plumed sittin in my garage