WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Warmoth Necks

BklynCannonball

pffffffffffttttttttttt...
Anyone here ever played on a Warmoth neck or gotten one as a replacement for a strat neck?

I'm wondering how comparable it is to an Amercan Strat neck.

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm assuming it's some kind of sweater neck thingy, in which case I still have no idea what you're talking about. I don't wear sweaters.

I just thought i'd do a completely pointless post on your thread, cause I like you, and i don't want you to feel lonely.

Base

it's a motherfucker
try contacting them and enquiring. warmoth.com has the contact address/ telephone nr./ email on the main page.

BklynCannonball

Awe Tostig, you're a true buddy.

/me gives Tostig a big hug!

Base, I know that silly, but they want to sell you a product. I just wanted to see if anyone had real experiences with them.

Tostig

Paradoxasaur
woohoo! i like hugs

/me returns BCB's hug with interest

Boycott

Soul Doubt
Tostig said:
I have no idea what you're talking about...
She's talking about guitars... lol..
I'm fairly sure the Warmoth is just a thicker neck widthwise than the strat... and I'm almost certain warmoth has 22 frets not sure though...

BklynCannonball

This is gonna sound silly but here we go.

Yeah, Warmoth makes 22 frets instead of the standard 21 without affecting anything. Meaning, you don't have to make adjustments to compensate.

My biggest issue, and this goes for different model strat necks, is the width of the fretboard.

I find Rosewood necks are slightly thinner, I'm talking millimeters here but I notice the difference. Now with maple necks, the Mexican and Japanese necks are similarly thinner than the American. This bothers me. I also find that replacement Strat necks have a similar issue, only it's more drastic.

I'm not too familiar with Warmoth and am nervous that I'll find the same thing applies to them. Of course talking with a representative their answer is that it varies from neck to neck even when it's a product of the same production line. I agree but there's a difference.

Can anyone here relate?

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
BCB.. the best thing to do is disregard any advice anyway.. really.. whatever anyone says will be their preference and almost certainly irrelevant.. we all have different fingers and different styles.. like i have really long fingers but still prefer a shaved neck, narrow fretboard but in 2 octave/24 frets.. i like being able to span 7 frets from nut to pinky without moving a muscle.. hey don't laugh, my guru robert fripp does 9 frets nut to pinky.. on a les paul.. :eek: it's an acidhead thing.. :happysad:

my advice, to be disregarded, go in a store that has them or a neck with the same dimensions, play the neck or a guitar with it fitted.. doopdy doo you're out of the dark..

oh and i am sure you thought of this route but it's all i have.. it's what i would do.. and you can shave the back of the neck down and revarnish.. i've done two of my own..

dustinzgirl

Banned - What an Asshat!
Tostig said:
I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm assuming it's some kind of sweater neck thingy, in which case I still have no idea what you're talking about. I don't wear sweaters.

I just thought i'd do a completely pointless post on your thread, cause I like you, and i don't want you to feel lonely.
I thought she was talking about a dildo. God, Im so confused!:p

BklynCannonball

Ok, I'm confused...

If anyone here owns an American Standard Strat, preferably an 80s or 90s model, please measure your nut width and post.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!

I'm freaking out

I don't know whether to get a 41.27mm nut width or a 42.85mm

Base

it's a motherfucker
BklynCannonball said:
Ok, I'm confused...

If anyone here owns an American Standard Strat, preferably an 80s or 90s model, please measure your nut width and post.

I'm freaking out

why not enquire with the main office? contacts are on their official website.
Get the info from the source.

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
BklynCannonball said:
Ok, I'm confused...

I'm freaking out

1.58mm.. about a sixteenth of an inch.. not much difference but go with the smaller.. it'll be easier when you're wasted.

BklynCannonball

Void you obviously didn't read what I wrote earlier. If that bottom E doesn't bend right 'cause my neck's too thin I'm gonna plotz, dig?

I hate replacement necks. Why did I have to beat the shit out of my guitar.

That poor fucking guitar. You have no idea what I've done to it in the 10 years we've been together. It's a sad state of affairs and I'm trying to redeem myself to it.

(sigh)

void

Banned - What an Asshat!
BklynCannonball said:
Void you obviously didn't read what I wrote earlier. If that bottom E doesn't bend right 'cause my neck's too thin I'm gonna plotz, dig?
i read what you posted earlier, i read every post.. i always do.
i don't see where you posted the issue being bottom e.. i didn't know why you were asking any of this because of that..
but..
as long as you don't punch me i'll just saunter off and have another beer and forget about this thread..
never was a fender guy.. ;)

BklynCannonball

God Void, you're so sensitive.

So I held my breath and ordered. I'll let you guys know what happens in a few weeks.

I know I'm worried over 1/16 of an inch but I'm a freak that way.

DirtyBird

Divides by Zero
Instead of getting the "correct" width neck, you should just get one that you think fits your hands and your style more.

I'm an Ibanez guy and I prefer wide fretboards... So if I got a strat, I have a feeling I'd be getting a warmoth neck that's thin and wide like my Ibanezes! hah!

But one thing about warmoth bothers me... well make that 2.

First of all, on their maple fretboard necks... where it's just one big piece of maple... they apply the finish to the neck AFTER the put the frets in. So your frets will have lacquer over them. That would annoy me, but it may not be that big of a deal.

Secondly, they dont actually level and crown the frets themselves. To me, if I'm buying a custom, high quality neck, I'd at least expect the frets to be properly dressed. But hey, that's just my opinion, and regardless of that Warmoth does have a very good reputation and they make quality parts.