WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

Watching movies like R2D2...

jamesp

In Memory...
MIT Grad student Chad Dyner has done something way cool. He has developed the technology to watch video images in free space (i.e. air). It is called the HelioDisplay, and it can be used like a touch screen display. Thats about all the information I have on it right now, but more to come.

Darklight

Oppressing your posts...
thats nice... how bout a link or something? otherwise I can say I have perfected perpetual motion...

jamesp

In Memory...
yeah, i read about it via slashdot, but the website was down earlier.

Jung

???
Premium
I'll be interested when they make 360º helio-displays that are capable of resolutions higher than HD quality.

Edit: At an affordable price.

jamesp

In Memory...
Yeah, affordable is the key word there. I don't see them getting this technology HD for a few years. Though I could be completely mistaken, apparently they've already figured out how to make it interactive.

Jung

???
Premium
Well, the article I read stated it allowed for "high resolutions" but that's definitely open to interpretation. Personally, I'd consider anything over WSXGA+ to be 'high resolution,' but some people might consider 1280x1024 to be high.

jamesp

In Memory...
junglizm said:
Well, the article I read stated it allowed for "high resolutions" but that's definitely open to interpretation. Personally, I'd consider anything over WSXGA+ to be 'high resolution,' but some people might consider 1280x1024 to be high.
I'd agree that anything including and over WSXGA would be high def, and after thinking about it I bet we will have the technology to get resolutions like that in a very short amount of time. man, i forget sometimes how fast technology is moving.

Jung

???
Premium
jamesp said:
I'd agree that anything including and over WSXGA would be high def, and after thinking about it I bet we will have the technology to get resolutions like that in a very short amount of time. man, i forget sometimes how fast technology is moving.
There are already tons of monitors that do that resoultion and higher, provided you use DVI. IIRC, I believe the highest res single link DVI supports is 1920 x 1200.

But yeah, it would be awesome to have that display in full HD or better resolution.

spider1

Banned - What an Asshat!
dont they need to project it onto awall or something?

Jung

???
Premium
spider1 said:
dont they need to project it onto awall or something?
Did you even bother reading the thread and links before replying? Jesus.

From the second sentence in the first post.
technology to watch video images in free space (i.e. air)