WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

.WAV File Emoticons

Descent

Hella Constipated
I feel that this would be a great addition to the site...I also have a plan to prevent the piracy of copyrighted materials, such as music.

Set the file size limit to c. 500-1024K. That way, no song file could fit in that file size frame, in that format, without it being inaudible. A 1:00 long FreeSpace 2 BGM is around 1500K at 8-bit/22KHz. If you go any lower than that, it would be pretty hard to be able to hear anything.

Who's with me on this? We could have stock emoticons, and user uploadable ones. Moderating an audio file would be just as easy as moderating a picture; you'll know if it's copyrighted if you see or hear it (Or if it breaks any rules!).

skylinec

Somewhere in the Between
I kinda like the Idea, But I don't like it when any Website turns on music and mine is already playing. On and off button would help!

tzedek

Original Member
yeah, going from 10k filesize limit to 500-1024K is a great idea :thumbsup:

Descent

Hella Constipated
Well? Does anyone agree with me here?

I was thinking of a "PLAY" button...Not automatic playing.

Captain 151

Seeped in a dry Merlot
Descent said:

As long as that option is available, I'm fine with it. I don't want stupid shit going off as soon as I open a thread.

Jung

???
Premium
Descent said:
No.
Descent said:
I know for sure there aren't any vBulletin mods for this, so it'd have to be coded by hand. So get to it. www.php.net http://www.w3schools.com/js/default.asp :thumbsup:

Edit: I guess you could make a custom vB tag for it, but most people don't have hosting for their audio. I'd rather see a tag to enable flash first, too bad ActionScript can do some nasty things. :(

Fire_ze_Missles

Martha Fuckin' Stewart
Honestly, what would be the point of having a .wav file emoticon? Hearing the phrase, "Uzzz R teh Gehy! L0Lzzersss!!!one", over and over would bother me. Plus who would really press a play button to hear some stupid saying that they could just as easily read. :thumbsup:

LiberatioN

Trance Addict
It's called teamspeak people. Team....speak.

Telephones are great too. If you wanna talk to someone, just talk to them in private. 1 meg would be too much...you can downsize a .wav file to mp3 format and rant for nearly a minute with an attached sound file. the only alternative to this would be singling out the possibility of uploading mp3s...you'd have to make something in .wav format so that it'd be large and you could only have about 5 seconds of some fucker ranting his opinion.

In summary:

a) no one would use this feature as "emoticons"...theyd just rant
b) there are plenty of voice clients if you'd like to talk to someone on these forums