WTF ... IS WTF!?
We are a collective of people who believe in freedom of speech, the rights of individuals, and free pancakes! We share our lives, struggles, frustrations, successes, joys, and prescribe to our own special brand of humor and insanity. If you are looking for a great place to hang out, make new friends, find new nemeses, and just be yourself, WTF.com is your new home.

WD Raptor Opinions.

BrIONwoshMunky

EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY!
Staff
Hey, I was just wanting some real feedback on opinions of this harddrive. I am wanting to buy two to put in my box in Raid, 0 or 1.

Jung

???
Premium
Are they going to mirrored for your OS drive? If so I'd say go with sata, if not I'd say go with EIDE; you'll get a lot more space for a lot less, and the speed difference won't be as noticable as if it were an OS drive(s).

I like SATA drives, I have two myself. I just bought two new drives and I decided to go EIDE thouugh. I'm really getting tired of burning DVDs all the time.

Descent

Hella Constipated
Great drives. I have heard nothing but positive raves about the Raptors.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
I would like to put my programs on the SATA's and Raid them, and keep my storage, i.e. documents, mp3's yadda yadda yadda on the EIDE. I just built a new box about two months back and want to ghet it the way I want it. It's an AMD Athlon 64 system.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
The 10K SATA Raptors are amazing. There isn't much noticable speed improvement of using 2 in a RAID-0 array compared to a single drive setup. A single 10K SATA Raptor is aa very noticable improvement over a 2 drive 7200 EIDE RAID-0 setup. Go for the 74Gig 10K SATA Raptor for your main os drive. You wont be disappointed. If you need mass storage, throw some 250+ Gig EIDE 7200rpm drives into external FireWire/USB2 enclosures. That works out nicely for portable storage.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
I got specs on everything I bought.... it took about six months of savings.

Athlon 64 3200+ CPU
MSI K8n NEO-FSR motherboard
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 bit 256 Mb DDR video card
1 Gb (2X512) Corsair XMS PC3200 DDR RAM
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum (origionally intended for old system but wouldn't fit in case correctly... darn)
Dual Layer DVD Burner
DVD rom
Floppy
V.92 Modem
and my Logitech Z-5500 speakers.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
BRiT said:
The 10K SATA Raptors are amazing. There isn't much noticable speed improvement of using 2 in a RAID-0 array compared to a single drive setup. A single 10K SATA Raptor is aa very noticable improvement over a 2 drive 7200 EIDE RAID-0 setup. Go for the 74Gig 10K SATA Raptor for your main os drive. You wont be disappointed. If you need mass storage, throw some 250+ Gig EIDE 7200rpm drives into external FireWire/USB2 enclosures. That works out nicely for portable storage.
Thanks for the tips... I noticed that the seek time on the 74Gb raptors was less than the 36. (according to Newegg.com). So, lemme get this straight though, the performance improvement in a two drive Raid-0 setup isn't enough to justify buying a second drive if you don't need the space?

Raid-0 is that stripping one isn't it, not the mirror?

Descent

Hella Constipated
Nice setup :thumbsup: .

My system (After I get everything I need)

Dual 1.8GHz AMD Durons
Sapphire Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB
1 GB of RAM (One 512MB Crucial PC266 module, and two 256MB PC400 Infineon modules)
80GB 7200RPM/8MB Western Digital HD
Sound Blaster Live! Value (Gonna stick a Turtle Beach in there)
Two ThermalTake K7 1U Tiny Fin Copper Heatsinks
Four blue lighted LED fans
Artec 52x32x52x CD-RW drive
Artec 16X DVD-ROM drive
Mitsumi 1.44MB Floppy Drive
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P Motherboard
Belkin F5D6050 802.11B adapter
Bestec 250w Silent PSU (Great PSU, it's from my friend's old HP)
Windows Server 2003 set up as a workstation OS (Great OS, very stable, unlike XPenis)
Two Paradigm Atom Speakers wired through a Pioneer reciever

Jung

???
Premium
brainwashmonkey said:
I would like to put my programs on the SATA's and Raid them, and keep my storage, i.e. documents, mp3's yadda yadda yadda on the EIDE. I just built a new box about two months back and want to ghet it the way I want it. It's an AMD Athlon 64 system.
By program do you mean OS and programs or what? Are these the drives that Windows will be installed on? If you just mean your program files directory, I'd suggest you put your OS on there as well, you'll see a noticable diference in speed. It would sort of a waste to spend so much on those drives only to use them for programs.

Keeping everything on a seperate drive is a good idea; I do the same thing. Your files will get frangmented a lot less and your programs will run a lot faster. I keep Windows and program files on my mirror set, everything else is spanned out between my other three drives and my network drives.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
I'm running XP Pro, I was at Purdue and I could buy it for $5, so Yeah, couldn't pass that one up.

What sucks about the damn soundcard I got is that it's pointless with the Mobo I have. The Mobo has onboard 7.1 channel sound, and optical out and all that whooppy ass shite.

You worried about your PSU poppin on you w/ dual processors?

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
And Jung, Yes, I would like to move all programs even the OS to the fastest drive I have... It only makes sense right? I don't really give a rat's ass if it takes a tic to pop up a picture or something equally as gay but I cannot stand waiting for programs to start.

Jung

???
Premium
BRiT said:
You wont be disappointed. If you need mass storage, throw some 250+ Gig EIDE 7200rpm drives into external FireWire/USB2 enclosures. That works out nicely for portable storage.
Thats exactly what I've been buying lately. I have a 100GB and I just recently gota 250 and 100. The next thing I'm going to get is the LaCie 1TB Bigger Disk. :thumbsup:

Jung

???
Premium
brainwashmonkey said:
So, lemme get this straight though, the performance improvement in a two drive Raid-0 setup isn't enough to justify buying a second drive if you don't need the space?
He's just saying that in a mirror set the performance won't improve much. It's still benificial to mirror or stripe disks though.
brainwashmonkey said:
RAID 0 is striping with no parity.

BRiT

CRaZY
Founder
brainwashmonkey said:
Thanks for the tips... I noticed that the seek time on the 74Gb raptors was less than the 36. (according to Newegg.com). So, lemme get this straight though, the performance improvement in a two drive Raid-0 setup isn't enough to justify buying a second drive if you don't need the space?

Raid-0 is stripping. If you have 2 74Gig drives in Raid-0 you have 148Gigs of storage space available. The reason the 74G is faster (lower seek time) than the 37Gig is the data density is greater on the 74Gig. The drive head has to travel less distance to read the same amount of data. There will be a slight improvement with 2 74Gig 10K RPM drives in Raid-0 over a single 74Gig 10K RPM drive, but it wont be that percievable. However, 2 37Gig 10K RPM drives in Raid-0 may be slower than (or barely on par with) a single 74Gig 10K RPM drive -- due to latency (seek-time) issues.

Nice system you have there.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
BRiT said:
Nice system you have there.

Only downside is that I got all of that kickass hardware in a shitty ass $30 tin can of a box. It ruins the whole look, that and the fact that no wires are organized... probably causing shitty cross-flow.

I had looked all of this up in the begining of October and researched alot. Just forgot what all the upteen different RAID combos did/do. Thanks. :thumbsup:

It appears that I will be purchasing 2 74Gb Raptors for a RAID-0 Format setup. Thanks all. :p

Are aftermarket CPU heatsinks worth it? I also don't know whether to trust the temp readings my mobo program is getting, any way to test that?

Jung

???
Premium
brainwashmonkey said:
Are aftermarket CPU heatsinks worth it? I also don't know whether to trust the temp readings my mobo program is getting, any way to test that?
If you're overclocking, yes. If not, I honestly wouldn't worry about it. The best way to test temps is either from BIOS or a program called MotherBoard Monitor (MBM). Some mobo manufacturers make their own programs. I know Asus makes Asus Probe and MSI has something, but I'm not sure what. If you use MBM, i'd expect it to be off atleast by 5 deg, but maybe that's just me.

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
junglizm said:
If you're overclocking, yes. If not, I honestly wouldn't worry about it.
Nice, I didn't want to have to buy one... just saw them and thought it kinda looked cool, just really really huge

MSI I think has Quiet Cell or something with Quiet in the name. I can run it on Windows Desktop. Not certain though

Jung

???
Premium
brainwashmonkey said:
Nice, I didn't want to have to buy one... just saw them and thought it kinda looked cool, just really really huge
Thermalright is the company you should go with, should you ever need extra cooling. Although I wouldn't suggest that HS. They make a great HS called the SP-90, it's a huge hunk of copper that takes a 80 or 90mm fan. They work great, but they're really loud. :p

BrIONwoshMunky

Staff
junglizm said:
Thermalright is the company you should go with, should you ever need extra cooling. Although I wouldn't suggest that HS. They make a great HS called the SP-90, it's a huge hunk of copper that takes a 80 or 90mm fan. They work great, but they're really loud. :p
I dont' even think the one I was lookin at would fit in my box. I used four thermaltake blue led fans on my box. If the case was made of actual parts instead of stamped sheetmetal it wuld look alot cooler.